• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

Oh great, just what we needed.

Another Apple store.

in Manhattan.

Oh.

Over saturation is overly saturated.

Talk to people standing in line at the Genius Bar and you may change your tune. Especially with CompUSA dead and many people looking down the barrel of BestBuy in 1 way or another (Yes, it Is possible to suck harder than CompUSA).

-Also, right next to Lincoln Center is a pretty sweet location, even though it's technically not real far from 59/5.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    And still no Apple Store in South Carolina.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

After all, this word "flagship" is not an official one. The guard gets passed down, just as in a real fleet, when a newer, larger, faster, more powerful vessel enters and becomes the new Flagship. The older one is still there, but is no longer the top dog. The admiral has left and gone to the new one.

Actually it is an official term used by Apple and SOHO, 5th Ave, and W14 are all classified as Flagship stores according to Apple.

You should know this, you seem to know everything else
  • Reply 24 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post

Actually it is an official term used by Apple and SOHO, 5th Ave, and W14 are all classified as Flagship stores according to Apple.

You should know this, you seem to know everything else

Most everything. At least get it right please.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The meatpacking district is right near one of the most viable, and youngest, communities in the city. If you go there during the day, or early evening, you can see crowds of young (usually under 30) people. It'.

A friend of mine went to meatpacking last night to get his iPhone replaced and said that the store was not crowded, with more salespeople than customers- not a good sign- 6 days before Christmas and 2 weeks after opening.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

And still no Apple Store in South Carolina.

My sister said that a apple store is almost complete in Greensboro, NC, which is smaller and less economically advanced than either Greenville or Charleston. Maybe if we would take down the confederate flag--we might get one here sooner. They already have one in Alabama.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    It's not clear whether Apple is buying or leasing the land from the Brandts, but I'm a little suspect because there are plenty of developers who would put up a much taller building on that site (although there would be a battle with the local Board) and pay the Brandts a lot more money for it. So why would they sell or lease it to Apple?

I also don't see why Apple would need to tear it down. Seems to me they might want to strip the building or put up a totally new front, but why change it structurally unless they're going to add floors?

And while there is the giant multiplex across the street and Lincoln Center starts a block south, that's not a particularly high-traffic location, especially at night. I think there is far more pedestrian traffic north of 72nd street.

I don't think its proximity to 5th Avenue is an issue because people who live on the west side consider 5th Avenue and 59th Street to be a different neighborhood and might rarely find themselves over there, but if Apple wanted to better cover the city, I think they would have been better off with a location around 86th and Lex or 3rd or even in the 80s on the West Side. That's where people shop.

As far as the meatpacking district is concerned, that might not be the perfect retail location today, but within five years, it will be and Apple will be praised for starting it (even though it didn't) or for being smart enough to get in at the beginning. There's tons of new apartments being developed, almost all of the meatpackers are gone, other specialized retail is nearby, Chelsea Market is doing really, really well and the rest of that former Nabisco Factory is being redeveloped, so there will eventually be thousands, if not tens of thousands of additional workers in that neighborhood.

And as to why Apple is opening so many stores in NYC? It's because you have 8 million residents in a small geographic area plus workers who come in from Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island and New York State and millions of tourists (who are coming in droves to take advantage of the cheap dollar, now that we've become a third-world country.)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's not clear whether Apple is buying or leasing the land from the Brandts, but I'm a little suspect because there are plenty of developers who would put up a much taller building on that site (although there would be a battle with the local Board) and pay the Brandts a lot more money for it. So why would they sell or lease it to Apple?

I also don't see why Apple would need to tear it down. Seems to me they might want to strip the building or put up a totally new front, but why change it structurally unless they're going to add floors?

And while there is the giant multiplex across the street and Lincoln Center starts a block south, that's not a particularly high-traffic location, especially at night. I think there is far more pedestrian traffic north of 72nd street.

I don't think its proximity to 5th Avenue is an issue because people who live on the west side consider 5th Avenue and 59th Street to be a different neighborhood and might rarely find themselves over there, but if Apple wanted to better cover the city, I think they would have been better off with a location around 86th and Lex or 3rd or even in the 80s on the West Side. That's where people shop.

As far as the meatpacking district is concerned, that might not be the perfect retail location today, but within five years, it will be and Apple will be praised for starting it (even though it didn't) or for being smart enough to get in at the beginning. There's tons of new apartments being developed, almost all of the meatpackers are gone, other specialized retail is nearby, Chelsea Market is doing really, really well and the rest of that former Nabisco Factory is being redeveloped, so there will eventually be thousands, if not tens of thousands of additional workers in that neighborhood.

And as to why Apple is opening so many stores in NYC? It's because you have 8 million residents in a small geographic area plus workers who come in from Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island and New York State and millions of tourists (who are coming in droves to take advantage of the cheap dollar, now that we've become a third-world country.)

From what was said, it looks as though they are sub-leasing from Limited Brands, the owner of Victoria's Secret.

Also, with NYC being the advertising hub, photo hub, and overall, the having the biggest concentration of Apple users, it's not going to be overloaded. With CompUsa going out, Best Buy won't be able to take up the slack, nor will Apple's other retailers in the city, so Apple must step in in a big way.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Most everything. At least get it right please.

Speak for yourself.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post

Speak for yourself.

I always do Mr. Snarky.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    To me this is very anoying, we need an apple retail store in edinburgh! the nearest one is in glasgow (60 miles or so). Fair enough, its not THAT far but edinburgh is the capital of scotland, would i be right in saying that the UK is one of the biggest countrys that apple sells to ( that is the best way i could think of to word it! sorry)

Apple could open a store in Edinburgh and it would be a flagship store! Its the god damn capital!

sorry for the rant, its just frustrating!

P.T
  • Reply 32 of 32
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

Talk to people standing in line at the Genius Bar and you may change your tune. Especially with CompUSA dead and many people looking down the barrel of BestBuy in 1 way or another (Yes, it Is possible to suck harder than CompUSA).

-Also, right next to Lincoln Center is a pretty sweet location, even though it's technically not real far from 59/5.

Granted, the Genius Bar is very crowded at certain times of the day. But a whole other store just seems like somewhat of a tourist trap. I don't know; I'm not in the business of business, but it seems to me this is a bad idea.