Exclusive: Apple to adopt Intel's ultra-mobile PC platform

Comments

• Reply 81 of 179
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    dude! can i have some of that ¨grass¨your smoking?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

Maybe a pocket for a friggin giraffe.

That thing is UUUUUGLY. I don't think it can get any uglier unless it has a M$ Windoze logo stuck to it.

Here's what they'll be using the new chips for.

The Power of Ten. (click image to view full size)

As you can see, this 9" x 6.5" device (9" screen diagonal; 800x500 resolution) sports an iSight camera with mic, stereo speakers, and two physical buttons on the face:
    • Power button (press once to turn off screen and put in sleep mode; press and hold to power down)

• Exposé button (press once to see all your open windows, press twice to open Dashboard, press and hold to minimize all open windows to the dock and zoom all the way out)

It also has dedicated volume buttons, a play/pause button, and Ctrl, Alt, and Command buttons on the face between the speakers, all touch-sensitive (similar to the LG Chocolate).

The device runs an updated version of Mac OS X Leopard that uses the Spaces engine + multitouch to allow two- and three-finger guesturing to zoom in and out both within programs and on the overall desktop (hence the press-and-hold option for the Exposé button). The screen has an articulating frame with braille-like dots that allow tactile play and response for the multi-layout onscreen keyboard that pops up whenever you rest more than four fingers on the screen or open it manually by double-tapping the spotlight icon. A smaller, magnification-based keypad (press and slide back/forth/up/down to choose character; release to select) also pops up in an unused corner of the screen whenever the Ctrl, Alt, or Command modifier keys are pressed. This allows for common keyboard shortcuts to retain their old functionality.

A built-in orientation sensor automatically switches the screen from landscape to portrait, but this can be manually overriden by "gripping" the screen with three fingers and twisting. The back of the device has an ultrathin pop-out reinforced stand that, while not significantly adding to weight, allows it to be propped up at a 20 degree (for typing) or 70 degree (for watching videos or video chatting) angle. The stand is slightly loose in its clipping mechanism and thus, though it cannot be removed entirely, can be quickly re-oriented to prop it up in portrait orientation.

One configuration of Cover Flow + QuickLook + orientation sensor allows for full-screen Cover Flow browsing in landscape and an automatic switch to QuickLook for the highlighted file when you switch to portrait.

The dock can be reconfigured to provide iPhone-esque icons that can be scrolled through by flicking them back and forth. Likewise, watching movies in portrait view allows for the user to open up an iPhone-style interface on the bottom half of the screen for surfing the web or typing a quick email.

The outer frame is the same no-slip brushed aluminium featured in the iPod Touch. The device comes standard with a composite leather sleeve that fits tightly around the outside edges and sports a stiff leather cover to flip over the screen when not in use (it automatically secures with magnets at the base).

Supports full Bluetooth, WiFi, and infrared (for Apple Remote) and comes with a built-in 3G and EDGE radio (configurable with the purchase of a supported wireless broadband data plan). The WiFi also allows for automatic data syncing (a few folders for work and a few for home?) with a desktop or notebook Apple with compatible AirPort.

The left edge has the MagSafe power port, two USB 2.0 ports, an Ethernet port, Firewire port, video out port, and 3.5mm audio input/output jacks. It also has a standard iPod dock built into the right edge of the device. Thin, tall third-party "expansion pack dongles" can be plugged into the iPod dock to allow for GPS support or other similar functionality. Bluetooth support allows for third-party headsets to mimic phone service using VOIP if connected to the internet using 3G or WiFi.

No optical drive; 80GB flash memory built into motherboard. Optionally the device can ship with 40GB flash memory and a 120GB 1.8" HDD for extra file storage (the 1.8" drive cannot run programs or the operating system). Battery life with flash-only configuration at medium screen brightness for moderate use is 18 hours.

Pricing starts at $649 for the base configuration and $749 for the HDD, thus (along with the 3G-enabled 16GB iPhone 2 at $599) filling the pricing gap between the current iPhone and the MacBook line (which will be expanded with an ultraportable ultrathin version at $999.

To be announced at the MacWorld convention in January 2008 after all the other products have been announced. Announcement made by Steve Jobs in an iPhone-esque product launch. Release on June 29, 2008.

• Reply 82 of 179
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Very nice discussion. I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone know when silverthorne will be available? The article says "early in 2008" but I was wondering if anyone knew of a more concrete date.

2) Is Menlow a SoC platform?

3) What are the advantages of a SoC platform.
  • Reply 83 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've found that with the iPhone, the vertical keyboard is a bit difficult, but it becomes much easier when typing in Safari with the horizontal orientation, and that will be smaller than either size machine we are looking at. But, I'm not typing as a touch typist when I try it, but two thumb Blackberry style.

60 words a minute is fairly fast, but not very. It might be possible on a somewhat larger board, but it would be a question. I do think that a second generation model will likely perform better than these first generation ones. So much is dependent on the software.

But, can you type at that speed now on one of the mid size keyboards?

I'm 18, I'm a NALA certified paralegal, and I can type well in excess of 100 wpm on my (ancient) 1st-gen MacBook keyboard. Standard Windoze keyboards are usu. between 90 and 100 wpm. I can type around 75-85 wpm on a smaller 7.5-inch laptop keyboard once I get used to it.

In landscape two-thumb Blackberry style on the iPhone I can reach 40 wpm or so. Not that amazing in terms of data entry, but pretty good for a 3.5" screen.

I'm definitely a power user when it comes to how demanding I am on my text entry method. I think nothing of sitting down and typing out an 8 page memorandum of law while I'm waiting for my boss to finish eating his sub at Quizno's (fictitious example). Most of the target market isn't going to be as demanding on their keyboards, but it makes me a good test subject; if I can use a virtual keyboard setup without it hampering me, then most people will be able to as well.

I quoted 60 wpm as the value that most intermediate typists would probably be able to type initially on a touchscreen keyboard. Assuming that they could usually type at 70 wpm on the physical keyboard of their choice. If a person could only type 50 wpm, then they could probably do 42 or so on the touchscreen keyboard. Ultimately there would be no difference once you get used to it; I'm sure I would break 100 wpm on a touchscreen keyboard in under two weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenga

dude! can I have some of that "grass" your smoking?

It's not grass, it's bananadine. Google it.
  • Reply 84 of 179
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,530member
    Quote:

I'm 18, I'm a NALA certified paralegal, and I can type well in excess of 100 wpm on my (ancient) 1st-gen MacBook keyboard. Standard Windoze keyboards are usu. between 90 and 100 wpm. I can type around 75-85 wpm on a smaller 7.5-inch laptop keyboard once I get used to it.

In landscape two-thumb Blackberry style on the iPhone I can reach 40 wpm or so. Not that amazing in terms of data entry, but pretty good for a 3.5" screen.

I'm definitely a power user when it comes to how demanding I am on my text entry method. I think nothing of sitting down and typing out an 8 page memorandum of law while I'm waiting for my boss to finish eating his sub at Quizno's (fictitious example). Most of the target market isn't going to be as demanding on their keyboards, but it makes me a good test subject; if I can use a virtual keyboard setup without it hampering me, then most people will be able to as well.

I quoted 60 wpm as the value that most intermediate typists would probably be able to type initially on a touchscreen keyboard. Assuming that they could usually type at 70 wpm on the physical keyboard of their choice. If a person could only type 50 wpm, then they could probably do 42 or so on the touchscreen keyboard. Ultimately there would be no difference once you get used to it; I'm sure I would break 100 wpm on a touchscreen keyboard in under two weeks.

40 WPM on an iPhone, even in horiz position is pretty danged good. If you can do that, then a keyboard that's an inch and a half wider, and an inch higher should present no problems, unless you find it to be too wide for two thumb reach, but too small for touch. I can't answer that, it also depends on the size of your hands.
  • Reply 85 of 179
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I really think it has to be "beltable". The Newton was, as I remember, the first really beltable computing device. a newer replacement would be thinner, and lighter, making it even more possible to carry that way.

The only problem I have with a coat pocketable device, is how does one carry it when not wearing that coat?

You could start carrying a purse. Just kidding. Seriously though, I could see men carrying some type of computer shoulder bag, it doesn't have to match your shoes.
  • Reply 86 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You could start carrying a purse. Just kidding. Seriously though, I could see men carrying some type of computer shoulder bag, it doesn't have to match your shoes.

That's a problem though. It's something you have to carry. Then when you sit down, you have to remove it from your shoulder. There are many times when people want to go somewhere and don't want to carry something, what then?

The whole point to taking something everywhere you go, is that it not be annoying to have.
  • Reply 87 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

With all of the attention paid to energy waste/pollution due to transportation, the fact is that 1/3 of power usage in this country is devoted to architectural waste. And a huge amount of that energy waste is devoted to cooling buildings now being heated by superfluous computing power.

You are correct about superfluous computing power wasting energy, but who wants five different personal computers for various tasks. Where cooling is much more of an issue, is in data centers. That is where low power cpus and virtualization come in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really don't need somebody telling me what sort of car I drive or what sort of PC I need. Oh by the way I do most of my eating in restaurants, that probably offends you in some way too. It is not an issue of entitlement or other leftist wishfulness.

You can live your life however you like. No one is telling you what to do. Conserving energy is not a left or right concept. It saves money, resources, the environment, etc. what's the problem?
  • Reply 88 of 179
    Quote:

That's a problem though. It's something you have to carry. Then when you sit down, you have to remove it from your shoulder. There are many times when people want to go somewhere and don't want to carry something, what then?

The whole point to taking something everywhere you go, is that it not be annoying to have.

The last thing I want is some big honkin' device clipped to my belt. Now, that would be a geeky fashion statement to go along with my assortment of pocket protectors.

m
  • Reply 89 of 179
    Quote:

The last thing I want is some big honkin' device clipped to my belt. Now, that would be a geeky fashion statement to go along with my assortment of pocket protectors.

m

No one would ever think, these days, that having something from Apple clipped to their belt, is a geeky fashion statement.

It also shouldn't be a "big honkin'" device. That's just what I don't want to see. The Newton wasn't really all that big, and a modern version could be even smaller.
  • Reply 90 of 179
    Quote:

40 WPM on an iPhone, even in horiz position is pretty danged good. If you can do that, then a keyboard that's an inch and a half wider, and an inch higher should present no problems, unless you find it to be too wide for two thumb reach, but too small for touch. I can't answer that, it also depends on the size of your hands.

The touch screen keyboard is, surprisingly enough, quite fast; faster, I think, than a physical keypad. Of course you have to look at it. I don't think that two-thumb Blackberry typing can get much faster than 40 wpm (that's two taps per thumb per second, not counting capitalization or punctuation). So the only way to increase speed much above a landscape orientation iPhone would be touch typing. Which needs at least 7.5 inches of width to be workable (unless you have microhands). My hands are proportional to my height, which is 6'3".

Quote:

Quote:

No one would ever think, these days, that having something from Apple clipped to their belt, is a geeky fashion statement.

It also shouldn't be a "big honkin'" device. That's just what I don't want to see. The Newton wasn't really all that big, and a modern version could be even smaller.

Smaller than the Newton? The biggest Newton was 8" tall, which with .5" physical margins is barely enough (actually, it isn't enough) space for a touch typing touchscreen keyboard.

Quote:

Quote:

It's not too terribly dreadful to carry a computer shoulder bag. Not if the dimensions are, say, 11". With a form-fitting leather cover that has a flip-up face so that you don't have to actually take it out of the bag to use it.

Lots of different ways to carry it. It's a full-featured computer. Shoulder holster, anyone?
  • Reply 91 of 179
    Quote:

The touch screen keyboard is, surprisingly enough, quite fast; faster, I think, than a physical keypad. Of course you have to look at it. I don't think that two-thumb Blackberry typing can get much faster than 40 wpm (that's two taps per thumb per second, not counting capitalization or punctuation). So the only way to increase speed much above a landscape orientation iPhone would be touch typing. Which needs at least 7.5 inches of width to be workable (unless you have microhands). My hands are proportional to my height, which is 6'3".

you're a big guy, with bigger hands than usual.

Quote:

Smaller than the Newton? The biggest Newton was 8" tall, which with .5" physical margins is barely enough (actually, it isn't enough) space for a touch typing touchscreen keyboard.

A lot more of the Newton was case sounding the screen than we'd see today. If that case/screen ratio were less, the device would be smaller, without compromising the screen size, and just possibly making it a touch bigger. If you look at the bottom of the device particularly, you'll see what I mean. Of course, it could be thinner as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton

Quote:

It's not too terribly dreadful to carry a computer shoulder bag. Not if the dimensions are, say, 11". With a form-fitting leather cover that has a flip-up face so that you don't have to actually take it out of the bag to use it.

Lots of different ways to carry it. It's a full-featured computer. Shoulder holster, anyone?

"Not too terrible" is exactly the problem that must be avoided if people are going to take this with them.

Also, again, you're a pretty big guy. The average man is about 5' 8". The average woman is 5" 4".
  • Reply 92 of 179
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

What do you mean "screen flipable"? And that mockup was using a high-res promo image of the iPod Touch; did you mean making the screen larger to remove the bezel or making the device itself smaller? And landscape is absolutely the way to go in physical button placement for a device of this size. The bezel won't be so large that you can't stretch your thumb over it to manipulate keys on the left edge of the screen when you are holding it in portrait "steno pad" style.

First screen all the way to the edges like the iPhone. The flippable part is just electronic. Only put a button or two on one end bezel, like the iPhone, but allow the user to choose whether they want to hold it with the buttons on the right or left (gives totally agnostic handedness that way). Then display the screen accordingly upright, buttons always on the bottom if held portrait style. That's trivial to implement.

Quote:

Beltable would be a great goal. Can you get a screen small enough to be beltable but large enough to run a touch type virtual keyboard?

No. But you could probably run a very useable keyboard, just not a work-primary high volume of typing one. That's what the regular desktop/laptop is for. And don't forget beltable can be put it in a tightly form-fit portfolio and stick it under the belt in the small of your back. I carry m steno pad holder this way all the time, as do most gents I know that need to use their hands constantly.
  • Reply 93 of 179
    Some interesting stuff on this thread.

Any thought that a smallish device might be able to use multi-touch when portable, then plug in a keyboard and the traditional UI pops up out of hyperspace somewhere a la Dashboard/Spaces/Fast User Switching?

I'd bite at that.
  • Reply 94 of 179
    Quote:

At the most recent Fall IDF, Intel executives flaunted an unnamed Moorestown processor, describing it as the 'chip the iPhone would have wanted.' Similar to Silverthorne, the 45nm design bundles an integrated memory controller, video encode/decode engine and graphics processor all on a single SoC.

During an ensuing demonstration, executives whipped out an iPhone-like ultra-mobile PC in apparent homage to Apple, explaining that the Moorestown-based device could run constantly for 24 hours between charges.

Two things:

1- Can't wait for Moorestown iPhones;

2- Apple will have competition with 3G intelligent phones. There is nothing like competition for prices to come down. Great news all over!

• Reply 95 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Any thought that a smallish device might be able to use multi-touch when portable, then plug in a keyboard and the traditional UI pops up out of hyperspace somewhere a la Dashboard/Spaces/Fast User Switching?

I'd bite at that.

I don't see why not, other devices such as my Palm, and Windows Mobile phones allow for this.

It's just software. It would be up to Apple, or possibly, a third party, to write drivers.
  • Reply 96 of 179
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

You are correct about superfluous computing power wasting energy, but who wants five different personal computers for various tasks. Where cooling is much more of an issue, is in data centers. That is where low power cpus and virtualization come in.

There can be good reasons to want multiple computers in a home. A media server is one. Some of us take a hobbyist approach to certain things like using old PC as CNC controllers.

Quote:

You can live your life however you like. No one is telling you what to do. Conserving energy is not a left or right concept. It saves money, resources, the environment, etc. what's the problem?

Well that is the problem people are telling us exactly what to do. In the case of automobiles they want us all in subcompact cars no matter what the circumstances. In m circumstance I drive a medium sized pickup, the primary reason being the machine has the physical size that works well with my body size. It isn't lie I've haven't looked at compacts as I actually went to a SATURN dealer when they where new, but you know what zero clearance for my head. Not to mention a few other stupid design features.

Conserving energy is not the issue in every case. Years ago I changed most of the lamps in my house to CFL's. Worked great and saved money. Couldn't do that in every socket though because CFL's don't always mesh well with the application. Given that I expect to be able to change out those CFL's with LED lighting in the future. But you know what I won't do that until the CFL's fail.

It is not like I'm against saving money or energy. The problem is people telling me how much energy I should use with out even having a clue as to what I'm using that energy for.

In any event back to the discussion of low power computing platforms. Which is what this new intel chip is all about

Dave
  • Reply 97 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

I'd bite at that.

This is one of the issues I have with the current iPhone software release. As far as I'm concerned it is half done and one of those half done components is the Bluetooth stack. As has already been mentioned it is a case of having the software there in this case drivers.

As far as a traditional interface you wouldn't really even need that. All you really need is to have the keyboard stream directed to the text box that currently has focus.

I see a well supported Bluetooth stack as being a key element in making the SDK a success. Simply put many applications come to mind that would do well interacting with the outside world. The best way to get outside on these devices is Bluetooth. The biggest problem right now is that Apple doesn't appear to be willing to flesh out the OS on these devices. Or is taking a very long time to do things that should be simple.

Dave
  • Reply 98 of 179
    Quote:

I think the key here is that not many of us envision using a tablet device for gross data entry. I'm still pretty much convinced that the best way to make such a device a success is to make it a consumer of content machine. That doesn't mean to completely ignore text entry just that it can't be reasonably expected to replace a keyboard.

Quote:

8 inches is a little to much but that is probably a personal issue as the individual needs would dictate optimal size. As has been pointed out by others though the key here is that the screen would expand to cover most of the front surface. In fact the only thing I'd like to see on the front besides a home key is provision for a front facing camera. That is right a device that has the potential to fully support video chat.

Quote:

Well if you are a guy carrying a shoulder bag can be pretty dreadful. It doesn't really matter what is in the bag either.

Quote:

Actually the shoulder holster is not a bad idea. Frankly though I could see it being placed anywhere, toolbox, brief case, back pants pocket, dash, trunk, overnight bag and a host of others. The physical size of the device though is what makes it convenient to have with you. If Apple can hit upon the right size and feature set I think people will be amazed at how much more useful and less of an hassle a good tablet can be relative to a laptop.

Note that I've had to carry laptops around for work a few years ago. There is a huge difference between carrying one across town than there is across the ocean. By the time you ass all the support hardware required you have a lot of volume and weight. By far though it is the bulk that kills you. I ended up getting a hard case and checking the damn thing. It just made everything easier. Especially getting through security as the question that always comes up is why do you need all those cables and other bits. That comes up do to not being a prototypical user and like the issue of power usage if you are out of the norm it sets up red flags.

Dave
  • Reply 99 of 179
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well if you are a guy carrying a shoulder bag can be pretty dreadful. It doesn't really matter what is in the bag either.

Why is that?

Someone insecure?

• Reply 100 of 179
    Quote:

It's a standard Intel x86 "M", which is run at a lower speed.

It's most likely a Pentium M 723, which runs at 1.0GHz on a 400MHz bus. Possibly underclocked. And it's a ULV processor, per this chart. It has to be, to run in such a small enclosure with so little cooling. The price difference between the low-voltage processors and the standard processors isn't that great.