Apple developing dynamic OLED-based keyboard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbookschmo View Post

I'd be more excited about adding a iphone/ ipod touch like multi touch screen on the side of the keyboard or next to the trackpad for multi-touch gestures, custom buttons, etc. This would probably work better on a laptop, but maybe it's too much like sideshow for Vista.

Maybe you want something more like the Optimus Tactus then: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/

Coming in, uh, ...
  • Reply 42 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cromulent View Post

No, he is...he's selling four variants of the keyboard, ranging in price from about $450 to over $1500: one with just an OLED space bar; one with the ten function keys on the left side, one with the alpha keys, and one with all the keys.

Last I was on his site, admittedly 6 months or so ago, he had given up on the all key OLEDS, and the price was over $1,000 for what he was selling.

Whatever, it's vastly overpriced for what it does, though his production costs are also high.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are we talking e-ink or e-paper here?

edit: http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/l...isplay-for-ces

Thanks for posting that link! I read that too... color e-paper is very real.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferry13 View Post

Thanks for posting that link! I read that too... color e-paper is very real.

If you actually READ what it said, you would see that it isn't a product. It's for show only. Experimental.

Quote:

It'll be at CES, but apparently only for Korean models to hold and love. The rest of us? Not so lucky, not even by a long shot.

• Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you actually READ what it said, you would see that it isn't a product. It's for show only. Experimental.

Hey, no reason to raise your voice here... We are talking about future products, right? So that link seems relevant to me.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferry13 View Post

Hey, no reason to raise your voice here... We are talking about future products, right? So that link seems relevant to me.

We're talking about products that will be in the future, yes, but you can't ever assume that an experimental technology will work out. Even OLED's aren't doing too well. Large sizes are already three years behind expectations. E-Ink, is also not doing as well as predicted, and color is proving more difficult than was thought two years ago, when I was shown one of the first samples.

So, when you said it was very real, as a response to what I had said about it, it simply isn't true. Real, means products.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    *cough* Optimus Maximus *cough*
  • Reply 48 of 73
    This can Already be done... you just can't see it like you could with OLED keyboard. Of course that would require a modification to the running kernel, but no sweat either way, right?
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist View Post

This can Already be done... you just can't see it like you could with OLED keyboard. Of course that would require a modification to the running kernel, but no sweat either way, right?

Exactly?
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Some people here have been suggesting multi-touch screens or "e-paper"-type solutions, but the problem with these is the lack of tactile feedback. Keyboards are much more difficult to use when you can't *feel* where the keys are. It's not as important with smaller applications (i.e. the iPhone), but I imagine most of us (at least the touch-typists) would not want it for our full-time main keyboard.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ireland, you're still crazy.

Lebedev first came up with this almost three years ago.

Not the full-screen version.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If the Dock could be along the top of the keyboard instead of on the screen it could save valuable screen real-estate.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If the Dock could be along the top of the keyboard instead of on the screen it could save valuable screen real-estate.

Yup, that's a good idea, and it has been said a few times for that reason.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I really think they could just do this with a multitouch keyboard.

The developers could create keys and control interfaces that match apps and change at a whim.

You have to solve everyone's tendency to rest their fingers on the keys without triggering a key event.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not the full-screen version.

i meant that you're still crazy, whether or not he did.

By full screen version, do you mean the "concept" keyboard, or the one he first announced, then said he couldn't do, then apparently decided he could, though it doesn't seem to be a shipping product yet?
  • Reply 56 of 73
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Too power hungry. This is an application for eink, and nothing else.

Furthermore, I think it's just a patent for patent's sake.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I'd like to point out that apple has had a patent on display based keys since at least 1997. I actually saw some prototype ones back then, and Art's idea only showed up around the time a few other firms showed some mockups of "future" design.

Apple's patent is well founded, and seriously owns the whole gamut of key based input, including each key having a sensor under the display so that they could show hand shadows on the screen or illuminate just the key you were about to hit, similar to how the iphone key gets bigger.

I've seen it with my own two eyes. While art's optimus keyboard is cool, it doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I've seen from Apple and that was at least 3-4 years back.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Also btw the coolest prototype I've ever seen from Apple involved what some have seen in those mockups where the touchpad surface is a full bar. I saw two different kinds. One that was full touch area, with much more recessed and flat button (still could feel it) and the whole bottom could be used with a stylus to draw stuff. I've also seen the trackpad enlarged with a display that would show interesting data, or hand functions that you could do to manipulate screen objects.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Since only a single keyboard design (physically) has to be produced, the rest being handled by software.

One thing that may be different b/w Lebedev's and and this design is (conceptual) resolution of button images. Optimus uses sufficiently high res to be able to display icons. Patent filing by apple seems to suggest a rather low res (but then again -- this si only based on the sketches, not the real thing)...
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceesaxp View Post

Since only a single keyboard design (physically) has to be produced, the rest being handled by software.

One thing that may be different b/w Lebedev's and and this design is (conceptual) resolution of button images. Optimus uses sufficiently high res to be able to display icons. Patent filing by apple seems to suggest a rather low res (but then again -- this si only based on the sketches, not the real thing)...

Apple one would be very high res. that much we can promise.