hd or bluray on hard disk without the player

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys. I was curious if i could download a hd movie or blu ray movie and play it to it's maximum quality on my macbook pro without an actually drive designated for it. For example, could i rip a hd dvd that i owned onto my computer and then hook my computer up to my hd tv and watch the movie in hd on my tv? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

Hey guys. I was curious if i could download a hd movie or blu ray movie and play it to it's maximum quality on my macbook pro without an actually drive designated for it. For example, could i rip a hd dvd that i owned onto my computer and then hook my computer up to my hd tv and watch the movie in hd on my tv? thanks.

The ripping part is impossible without the blu-ray or HD-DVD drive mechanism. Without a blu-ray or HD-DVD drive, you can't read those discs at all, whether it's a blu-ray/HD-DVD movie, a simple data disc in whatever format, or whatever, because it's a physically different thing. If you were able to rip on some other machine with the necessary blu-ray/HD-DVD drive, you'd then have a file that you could manipulate any way you wanted to get it to play on your MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

The ripping part is impossible without the blu-ray or HD-DVD drive mechanism. Without a blu-ray or HD-DVD drive, you can't read those discs at all, whether it's a blu-ray/HD-DVD movie, a simple data disc in whatever format, or whatever, because it's a physically different thing. If you were able to rip on some other machine with the necessary blu-ray/HD-DVD drive, you'd then have a file that you could manipulate any way you wanted to get it to play on your MBP.

thanks.