Time Machine Questions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have some Time Machine related questions I am hoping someone can answer...

1. If I secure delete something, is it automatically deleted from Time Machines' backup copy? If not, how does one ensure that a file is purged from Time Machine?

2. When files are moved, does Time Machine keep two copies in its backup or one with a alias to the other? For example, if I have a 200 MB file sitting on my desktop for a week and then I move it to the documents folder under my home directory. Does Time Machine use 400 MB of disk space keeping two copies of the same files or does it use only 200 MB of disk space with references to where (historically) that file was located?

3. Does Time Machine recycle disk space when your hard drive is full or does it stops working? If it recycles space, what space does it recycle first?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

3. Does Time Machine recycle disk space when your hard drive is full or does it stops working? If it recycles space, what space does it recycle first?Dave

Time Machine automatically deletes the oldest backups first when the drive is full.

As for them other questions, i have no idea.

-Phlake
  • Reply 2 of 5
    adjei7adjei7 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

1. If I secure delete something, is it automatically deleted from Time Machines' backup copy? If not, how does one ensure that a file is purged from Time Machine?

If you delete something, it stays in time machine until you delete it there, or until it automatically copies over the information (which happens when the time machine disk gets full, similar to what phlake said. You can delete a file in time machine by starting it up, finding it in your list of backups in finder, selecting the file you want to delete, clicking on the "action" button and selecting "Delete all backups of "said file".

Quote:

2. When files are moved, does Time Machine keep two copies in its backup or one with a alias to the other? For example, if I have a 200 MB file sitting on my desktop for a week and then I move it to the documents folder under my home directory. Does Time Machine use 400 MB of disk space keeping two copies of the same files or does it use only 200 MB of disk space with references to where (historically) that file was located?

To my understanding, Time machine only keeps one copy of each file, but creates a kind of alias for each file in the date folders. However if that file is changed, then it does not overwrite it, but keeps the different copies of that file. So to answer your question, Time Machine should only use 200MB but remembers where it was and where it is now.

Quote:

3. Does Time Machine recycle disk space when your hard drive is full or does it stops working? If it recycles space, what space does it recycle first?

As mentioned early, I believe phlake is right on this one. For more info and to find out whether I was accurate enough, you can check out the info here. http://www.appleinsider.com/print.php?id=3297

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Dave

My Pleasure

K

The K Experience

Past-Present-Timeless
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

As shown in the below image, if you'd like to delete a file from Time Machine, run Time Machine, select the file to be deleted, and choose "Delete All Backups of 'file name'" in the pull-down menu shown:

• Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

As shown in the below image, if you'd like to delete a file from Time Machine, run Time Machine, select the file to be deleted, and choose "Delete All Backups of 'file name'" in the pull-down menu shown:

A picture paints a thousand words.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

For example, if I have a 200 MB file sitting on my desktop for a week and then I move it to the documents folder under my home directory. Does Time Machine use 400 MB of disk space keeping two copies of the same files or does it use only 200 MB of disk space with references to where (historically) that file was located?

I've looked all over and don't see a good answer to this question. I know that I moved some files and noticed Time Machine backing up a big chunk of MBs. I don't think I had anything else it could be doing.

The Ars review of Time Machine is very good, but it doesn't really answer this question. If Time Machine doesn't track files getting moved it could waste a TON of space.