Newbie looking for some help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone, I need some help. I have decided I will be purchasing a Mac Book in the near future. I currently have a Dell Inspirion E1505 with Vista, and Vista is the main reason I want a Mac. I am somewhat familiar with Macs and used to own one. My question is would the basic MacBook (2.0Ghz Intel, 1Gb memory, 80gig harddrive,etc) on Apple's website be sufficient for me or should I look to upgrading it? I am out of school and will primarily be using this mostly for surfing the web, music, pictues, and maybe an occasional game. I have an external harddrive that holds my music, so upgrading the harddrive isn't neccesary, but I was curious about the processor and memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcavay View Post

Hello everyone, I need some help. I have decided I will be purchasing a Mac Book in the near future. I currently have a Dell Inspirion E1505 with Vista, and Vista is the main reason I want a Mac. I am somewhat familiar with Macs and used to own one. My question is would the basic MacBook (2.0Ghz Intel, 1Gb memory, 80gig harddrive,etc) on Apple's website be sufficient for me or should I look to upgrading it? I am out of school and will primarily be using this mostly for surfing the web, music, pictues, and maybe an occasional game. I have an external harddrive that holds my music, so upgrading the harddrive isn't neccesary, but I was curious about the processor and memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gaming will be a problem. The MacBook has integrated graphics.

If gaming is important consider a refurbished Macbook pro.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Gaming will be a problem. The MacBook has integrated graphics.

If gaming is important consider a refurbished Macbook pro.

+1

(Although anything could happen next week...)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yeah, wait till next week. See if you can swing for the extra 200 for the midrange model: You can put in your own HD and RAM later for a lot cheaper than Apple's price. My Brother just got one for x-mas, I set him up, it runs great.