To all future MacBook Air users, please dont be angry, here is my thoughts

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hmm,

Part 1,

After watching and spending 30 mins in Apple site comparing the new Air with the rest of the range I realise to fully use the MBA, you will need to buy a secondary hard drive or TimeCapsule since it has only 80GB (not talking bout the 6* GB, whats the difference and why more expansive?). 80 GB mostly means no second OS unless you can live with the fact owning a 40/40GB or 60/20GB share ratio.

But honestly the 60/20GB is out of the question cause its so small for XP to run and it will get full after running a couple of heavy data applications. (softwares that require large amount of space). So the best bet is 40/40 but wait a minute, im running Mac OS X as my primary disk, 40GB wont cut it. So this forces you to get a TimeCapsule. Problem is......I must always delete data to make sure that my hard disk is not full.

So my first though, Apple is not planning to let people to use Msoft in Air unless they are ready to compromise A LOT.

Okay, part 2

RAM size, okay, firstly when I hear bout the MBA presentation, im happy that it comes with 2GB of ram until I realise, that 2GB is not upgradeable. Yeah Mac OS X do not need a lot of ram but it will be more convinient if I can add more ram into it for future needs. This sort off shows that Apple do not want you to install Vista in MBA (Vista can run smoothly on 2GB except once the hdd gets clogged up with data's, thats when you need the extra memory). Another problem I found is that there is only 1 USB port. I mean wtf why cant they have 1 more. The design is unique but why cant they put a few USB port at the back. 1 is just too little. Oh yeah and the built in battery could mean that after like 3 years, expect to have difficulty replacing the ions in it. My family owns 3 laptops and 2 of them after 2-3 years have problem with the battery (battery doesnt last long and needs very long time to charge)

Conclusion

I realise although im impressed and fell in love with its design and touchpad I wonder if its practical to use (for me). So I guess im not a person who is suited to use ultraportables I presume? I wonder though if MBA will be able to gross better sales the MB (I bet those people who dont care bout function would get the MBA)

Thoughts

With all this function, it makes me wonder will Apple ever upgrade its MB to aluminium and with illuminated keyboard? And will the MBP or MB ever get the new touchpad? Oh yeah and the ultimate question is when?

Non related to MB's:

When will we see a newly design MBP or MacPro? MacPro design has been around for a very long time already. I guess because of its customability, it causes the MacPro design to be very hard to replace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hmm,

Part 1,

After watching and spending 30 mins in Apple site comparing the new Air with the rest of the range I realise to fully use the MBA, you will need to buy a secondary hard drive or TimeCapsule since it has only 80GB (not talking bout the 6* GB, whats the difference and why more expansive?). 80 GB mostly means no second OS unless you can live with the fact owning a 40/40GB or 60/20GB share ratio.

Unless you're storing a lot of media, 20gb is perfectly fine for xp, even with some gaming (which, very honestly, you're not gonna be doing on this machine anyway)... I have my mbp disk split approx 100/32/18, with the 32 being xp. Works perfectly fine and I *do* have some games installed. Also, formatted with FAT32 it lets me use the drive as auxiliary storage for osx, the same thing can be done on the MBA

Quote:

So the best bet is 40/40 but wait a minute, im running Mac OS X as my primary disk, 40GB wont cut it. So this forces you to get a TimeCapsule. Problem is......I must always delete data to make sure that my hard disk is not full.

I don't think the MBA is really marketed at people for whom it's their only comp (and thus a lot of their data is tored on another machine), but supposing it is for a second there's nothing stopping you from buying a cheap external HD instead of the timecapsul, which is overkill if you just need storage space.

Quote:

This sort off shows that Apple do not want you to install Vista in MBA (Vista can run smoothly on 2GB except once the hdd gets clogged up with data's, thats when you need the extra memory).

wha?

Quote:

Oh yeah and the built in battery could mean that after like 3 years, expect to have difficulty replacing the ions in it. My family owns 3 laptops and 2 of them after 2-3 years have problem with the battery (battery doesnt last long and needs very long time to charge)

Mentioned in another thread, most likely will have a replacement plan like for the iPod, and if not I'm sure there'll be 3rd party batteries. A device like this means compromise.

Quote:

Conclusion

I realise although im impressed and fell in love with its design and touchpad I wonder if its practical to use (for me). So I guess im not a person who is suited to use ultraportables I presume?

exactly mate, not a machine *for you*. Doesn't suit me either (not ultra-portable enough for me, I need a long-battery-life supplement to my MBP), doesn't mean it won't hit a good piece of the market though.

Quote:

I wonder though if MBA will be able to gross better sales the MB (I bet those people who dont care bout function would get the MBA)

All depends on what functions you need, if you're priority is wt and volume, this works very nicely.

Quote:

When will we see a newly design MBP or MacPro? MacPro design has been around for a very long time already. I guess because of its customability, it causes the MacPro design to be very hard to replace.

The current Mac Pro design is one of the best tower designs around, if it aint broke, don't fix it, y'know?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yeah, I agree with MacPro design is currently the best but how long will the design stay that way? Dang I wish thew would make the MacBook has similar design with the MBA except it maintains all the feature currently found in MB. I thought they could still make it slim except in the middle they should place the superdrive so it will have some extra bulging shape. Its hard to describe.

I believe if Apple could get the MBA that slim, Im sure its possible that the MB could become thinner.

Anyway what do people use ultraportable for?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

So my first though, Apple is not planning to let people to use Msoft in Air unless they are ready to compromise A LOT.

If that was your first thought, then I think it's pretty safe to say that the MBA isn't for you. Think about it for a second. You're complaining because you can't easily install WINDOWS on an APPLE product. I know Apple's been talking about boot camp in their commercials, but I still think this complaint is a little silly. Why not just buy Parallels and virtualize Windows? That way you don't have to partition your hard drive at all.

Either way, an 80 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM should be fine for XP. I used to run XP on a 40 gig hard drive with 512 megs of RAM. And that was my primary computer. No joke. Get this -- I had 1,000 MP3s! My friends laughed because there was no way anyone could listen to that much music! (slight exaggeration)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Hmm,

RAM size, okay, firstly when I hear bout the MBA presentation, im happy that it comes with 2GB of ram until I realise, that 2GB is not upgradeable. Yeah Mac OS X do not need a lot of ram but it will be more convinient if I can add more ram into it for future needs. This sort off shows that Apple do not want you to install Vista in MBA (Vista can run smoothly on 2GB except once the hdd gets clogged up with data's, thats when you need the extra memory).

Obviously the memory comes soldered to the board to make up for some space. I'm sure we could agree there? To keep the MacBook Air affordable, it would have to stay around 2GB memory, if they jacked it up to 4GB, I'm sure Apple would crank the price to over 2 grand. Then that messes up every other Apple product with RAM. Should they offer 4GB when you add the ridiculous higher HD option? I think so. lol However, this laptop was made for the business man or woman who just do email, word processing, and presentations who travel a lot. THEY will not need more than 2GB. THEY will not need Vista (sucks anyway, lol). My next laptop will be the MacBook Air. lol

On a side note, I have a MacBook and I have never used the DVD Writer, so glad they got rid of it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Well yeah I agree that it suits business man or woman. But dang its hotz. Watching movie through DVD is goin to be a bit of a hassle though. Anyway I do think that the MBA is more to style then function. Guess this proves im not a ultraportable guy. Im expecting ultraportable's to be 12".

I guess thats why they are many people saying bad things bout the MBA. Since Apple list it as 13", Im sure most people will compare it with the MB. MB is more like a normal user laptop whereas MBA is more for people who dont use external stuffs and strictly use their laptop for business.

It will be nice to see a thinner MB (still keep the features that are found in the current MB line) which comes with aluminium and multi touch trackpad and hopefully with discrete GPU like GeForce8400 (I know its not a powerfull GPU but at least its better then the X3100)