When will the TOUCH get a LARGER flash drive???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My 60gig ipod is having headphone jack problems. I REALLY want to get a TOUCH....I WILL get a touch just for the wifi features.

BUT...I need more space than 16gigs will allow.

I was hoping that Steve Jobs was going to announce larger flash drives in the ipod touch and iphone at MWSF....but it didn't happen.

I'm not asking for much. I know that they aren't going to drop a 60gig flash drive in the ipod now.

But isn't there a larger size than 16gigs out there? If so, what size would it be? I'd almost settle for 20gigs. That would barely hold my current song list. 30 gigs would be perfect.

The only other feature I WISHED the touch had is a camera. But I know that won't happen for awhile. I think with a camera and a larger flash drive, the touch would finally kill the ipod classic.

Seriously tho...why not a bigger flash drive now? :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

My 60gig ipod is having headphone jack problems. I REALLY want to get a TOUCH....I WILL get a touch just for the wifi features.

BUT...I need more space than 16gigs will allow.

I was hoping that Steve Jobs was going to announce larger flash drives in the ipod touch and iphone at MWSF....but it didn't happen.

I'm not asking for much. I know that they aren't going to drop a 60gig flash drive in the ipod now.

But isn't there a larger size than 16gigs out there? If so, what size would it be? I'd almost settle for 20gigs. That would barely hold my current song list. 30 gigs would be perfect.

The only other feature I WISHED the touch had is a camera. But I know that won't happen for awhile. I think with a camera and a larger flash drive, the touch would finally kill the ipod classic.

Seriously tho...why not a bigger flash drive now? :-)

I'm sure it's a price-point issue. Apple obviously knows more about component costs, profit margins, etc. than we do and I'm sure they're not just being stingy with us. I was also hoping for a 32GB iPod Touch and will likely wait to purchase until they come out with one.

There will be people who say you can never listen to 16 gigs worth of anything prior to recharging, but my goal is to use my iPod as my primary sound/music device and I want to load everything onto it at once and not worry about what to put on and what to leave off.

I'm not complaining. Apple has given me basically everything I've asked for. At this point, all I think it needs is a video camera, a microphone, and a power adapter (not just the USB) and it's a magnificent device. Maybe 3G as well, data-only.

Essentially, then and only then will it be an iPhone without the phone!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Apple will offer a 32GB Touch as soon as the cost of such a drive, to Apple, allows them to sell it at the same price as the current model, while maintaining the margins they want.

I have no idea what the OEM cost of things things are, but they are clearly dropping pretty quickly. If I had to guess, I would say this fall.

At that point, the 16GB model will get a price cut.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple will offer a 32GB Touch as soon as the cost of such a drive, to Apple, allows them to sell it at the same price as the current model, while maintaining the margins they want.

I have no idea what the OEM cost of things things are, but they are clearly dropping pretty quickly. If I had to guess, I would say this fall.

At that point, the 16GB model will get a price cut.

I agree - Apple tends to keep its price points static across generations of a product line.