NVIDIA readying GeForce 8800 GT upgrade for earlier Mac Pros

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do you know this, or are you just guessing?

The Intel 5400 chipset (aka "Seaburg") does support Crossfire. If third-party graphics cards work at all in Windows on the Mac Pro, Crossfire should, too. With the proper drivers of course. Won't know until/unless someone tries it.
  • Reply 62 of 123
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Who are you quoting?

I'm taking these from the links in the posts that you are not reading. Start reading them, because I'm done giving all these answers twice. No offense, but I have to go to bed. Bye.
  • Reply 63 of 123
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm taking these from the links in the posts that you are not reading. Start reading them, because I'm done giving all these answers twice. No offense, but I have to go to bed. Bye.

Ok, I read the link?completely.

Two guys claim to have gotten SLI two work, and two others say they couldn't get Windows to recognize the second card at all.

Nothing for OS X at all

Two and two.

What other evidence is there/
  • Reply 64 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Intel 5400 chipset (aka "Seaburg") does support Crossfire. If third-party graphics cards work at all in Windows on the Mac Pro, Crossfire should, too. With the proper drivers of course. Won't know until/unless someone tries it.

Ok, so then if thise is what'd in the machine, and if somehow, Crossfire isn't disabled, then with the proper cards, and drivers, it should work.

Of course, which cards, and what drivers?
  • Reply 65 of 123
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Yah I actually saw that. I'd like some screenshots as to complete heresay. Maybe I haven't been following SLI long enough... in the beginning you HAD to have an Nvidia chipset... as I pasted above.

Quote:

NVIDIA has stated that only their own chipsets can allow SLI to function optimally, and that they will not allow SLI to work on any other vendor's chipsets. Some early SLI systems used Intel's E7525 Xeon chipset, which caused problems when NVIDIA started locking out other vendor's chipsets as it limited them to an outdated driver set. In 2007, Intel has licensed NVIDIA's SLI technology for its SkullTrail platform.

Still.. the 5xxx chipset that Mac Pro uses... didn't fall under that category. I'm all for it if someone actually did get SLI working... but something doesn't add up. I'd love someone to prove me wrong... show how and why it works that way. I haven't seen a real explanation yet, and that is why I'm very skeptical.
  • Reply 66 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Yah I actually saw that. I'd like some screenshots as to complete heresay. Maybe I haven't been following SLI long enough... in the beginning you HAD to have an Nvidia chipset... as I pasted above.

Still.. the 5xxx chipset that Mac Pro uses... didn't fall under that category. I'm all for it if someone actually did get SLI working... but something doesn't add up. I'd love someone to prove me wrong... show how and why it works that way. I haven't seen a real explanation yet, and that is why I'm very skeptical.

They were using various modified versions.

Some worked on any intel, or AMD chipset.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=191082
  • Reply 67 of 123
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Very interesting... Looks like another proof of concept that hackers can not be stopped via hardware... /points at hackintosh macs.
  • Reply 68 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Very interesting... Looks like another proof of concept that hackers can not be stopped via hardware... /points at hackintosh macs.

I have a friend who has been using OS X Tiger on a Dell for about two years now. He says that some programs work well and others won't even open, and while everything in the OS works nothing is optimized like in a bona fide Mac. Still, he does say it has worked out well as a media server?despite the 40Mbps average on his 1000Mbps NIC?and recommends it for any hobbyist with an old machine lying around.
  • Reply 69 of 123
    Quote:

Maybe the obsolete drivers work, but not too well.
  • Reply 70 of 123
    Quote:

Ok, so then if thise is what'd in the machine, and if somehow, Crossfire isn't disabled, then with the proper cards, and drivers, it should work.

Of course, which cards, and what drivers?

Most ATI cards support Crossfire. I don't know if the really low-end, 2400 series cards will do it, but the 2600 series certainly can. Of course the Mac Pro by default comes with a 2600 card, but I don't if that card will work, since it obviously has a weird firmware.

So you would need a matched pair of ATI graphics cards from the 2xxx or 3xxx series, and a bridge cable to connect them. That bridge should come with the cards. You would also have to connect high-end cards like 3870's to six-pin power cables.

As for drivers, I don't know. Ordinarily, the latest drivers from AMD's site would be recommended. I know that Boot Camp includes drivers for the Mac's graphics, but I don't know if the Boot Camp driver is *required* due to EFI or something. If it is, it might not allow Crossfire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_CrossFire
  • Reply 71 of 123
    Quote:

Most ATI cards support Crossfire. I don't know if the really low-end, 2400 series cards will do it, but the 2600 series certainly can. Of course the Mac Pro by default comes with a 2600 card, but I don't if that card will work, since it obviously has a weird firmware.

So you would need a matched pair of ATI graphics cards from the 2xxx or 3xxx series, and a bridge cable to connect them. That bridge should come with the cards. You would also have to connect high-end cards like 3870's to six-pin power cables.

As for drivers, I don't know. Ordinarily, the latest drivers from AMD's site would be recommended. I know that Boot Camp includes drivers for the Mac's graphics, but I don't know if the Boot Camp driver is *required* due to EFI or something. If it is, it might not allow Crossfire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_CrossFire

Sorry for my bad spelling there. I almost couldn't understand it myself when I read it back.

More modern Crossfire cards don't have to be the same.

This whole thing about EFI is over done, methinks.

Remember that Vista doesn't yet support EFI. That won't come until SP1, and only on 64 bit.

Yet, It does run under Bootcamp. I'm wondering what Apple did there, if anything.
  • Reply 72 of 123
    ikirikir Posts: 130member
    It is not about power but about EFI 32bit vs 63 bit.

Apple said it wasn't intentionally, this is the reason why the kit on apple store don't say anything.

Don't give up on Apple on this issue yet, the card isn't still out as a kit.
  • Reply 73 of 123
    markw10markw10 Posts: 356member
    I have a new generation Mac Pro and ordered mine with the ATI option since I can't wait the 5-6 weeks for it to come. I had to replace my current computer. My issue, I have to use 3 monitors anyway so am looking for a 2nd video card. I know I could save money with a 2nd ATI and I'm not sure if I'll need a 8800 GT for my use but I'm wondering, could I put both an ATI and a NVidia in my system or do I have to get a 2nd ATI for my 2nd card?
  • Reply 74 of 123
    Quote:

Yet, It does run under Bootcamp. I'm wondering what Apple did there, if anything.

The cards don't have to be the same, but they need to be close. A 2600PRO + 2600XT would work, as would a 3850 + 3870, I think. The driver would underclock the faster card to match the slower. It's just easier to explain by saying you need two of the same card.

And as for EFI, other operating systems work because Apple went back and added a Compatibility Support Module to put legacy BIOS support in. All Macs have this now, but the very first Intel Macs did not. How that affects third-party graphics drivers, I don't know. I'd experiment, but my Macs are too old to run Windows outside of VirtualPC.

I suspect this problem is the result of two incompatible EFI versions. The graphics card has to get booted with the computer or there's going to be trouble.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have a new generation Mac Pro and ordered mine with the ATI option since I can't wait the 5-6 weeks for it to come. I had to replace my current computer. My issue, I have to use 3 monitors anyway so am looking for a 2nd video card. I know I could save money with a 2nd ATI and I'm not sure if I'll need a 8800 GT for my use but I'm wondering, could I put both an ATI and a NVidia in my system or do I have to get a 2nd ATI for my 2nd card?

You should be able to use both. Switch the ATI for the Nvidia, and use the ATI in the second slot.
  • Reply 76 of 123
    Quote:

The cards don't have to be the same, but they need to be close. A 2600PRO + 2600XT would work, as would a 3850 + 3870, I think. The driver would underclock the faster card to match the slower. It's just easier to explain by saying you need two of the same card.

And as for EFI, other operating systems work because Apple went back and added a Compatibility Support Module to put legacy BIOS support in. All Macs have this now, but the very first Intel Macs did not. How that affects third-party graphics drivers, I don't know. I'd experiment, but my Macs are too old to run Windows outside of VirtualPC.

I suspect this problem is the result of two incompatible EFI versions. The graphics card has to get booted with the computer or there's going to be trouble.

You're right about the compatibility layer, though I'm not quite sure about how it works. It's become more comlicated since the first models came out. But, Bootcamp worked from the very first, even without that, so that can't be the whole answer.
  • Reply 77 of 123
    Quote:

Sorry for my bad spelling there. I almost couldn't understand it myself when I read it back.

This whole thing about EFI is over done, methinks.

Remember that Vista doesn't yet support EFI. That won't come until SP1, and only on 64 bit.

Just a reminder that new Mac Pros and Leopard are 64bit, and the New Mac Pro's EFI is UEFI64, and the last ones were EFI32. So hopefully being that the new Apple EFI scheme is 64bit there is a chance that we will be able to use some of the new windows EFI cards when they become available. (maybe with a little 3rd party help) Hopefully Apple is counting on this to bolster its image about graphics and compatibility.
  • Reply 78 of 123
    Quote:

Apple has a good relationship with Nvidia. Apple could ask. What would it hurt? They just need the source code for the ForceWare 85.96 drivers and the modification, and compile it for Leopard. End of story. Then we'd have damn near Platform parity with PC's in graphics.

It's about time apple pulled their finger out their asss on stuff like this. What's taking so long? We're using Intel cpus at last and APple are still dicking around on GPUs. Onlookers frustration is palpable. Apple are selling 2 million plus computers a quarter. 8 million a year. It's not beans.

What is it with them and GPUs?

Get Nividia to write the drivers or commission AMD. Or do it better themselves. Or change their approach. Or hire more GL programmers who know what they're doing. Why can't we just stick in any damn GPU.

And then there is the lack of choice for the iMac. Their 'mid range tower' computer.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    Quote:

Nvidia & AMD To Start Next Gen. GPU War In Q2

Published on January 21, 2008, 2:59 pm by Visionary

Filed under News > GPUs & Graphic Cards

Commercial Times talked about Nvidia and AMD introducing their next generation GPUs in Q2 this year, developed to support dual-core processors from Intel and AMD. The article mentioned that they have completed tape-out of the chips and will farm out productions of the chips to TSMC in March. Nvidia plans to introduce next-generation chip dubbed as G100 to challenge next-generation RV770 from AMD. Industry sources are pointing towards 55nm based RV770 supporting DX10.1.

About bloody time. And will Apple be there?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 80 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Just a reminder that new Mac Pros and Leopard are 64bit, and the New Mac Pro's EFI is UEFI64, and the last ones were EFI32. So hopefully being that the new Apple EFI scheme is 64bit there is a chance that we will be able to use some of the new windows EFI cards when they become available. (maybe with a little 3rd party help) Hopefully Apple is counting on this to bolster its image about graphics and compatibility.

I'm certainly hoping SOMETHING happens here. I'm tired of Apple offering odd choices only. I understand the high end. I understand their choice for the low end.

But, I've NEVER understood their choices for the middle!

Why an 8800GT? Why not a GTX. There are numerous other choices as well.

Why not offer two mid cards? A medium card, such as the 8800GT, and a true high end card? That's what that double width slot is for. It doesn't just have to fit a Quattro!

All this talk about SLI and Crossfire is nonsense anyway. the estimation is that no more than a perhaps 20,000 people use it. Possibly a lot less.