Do you use windows on your mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got my imac a couple days ago and have thought of running windows on my machine I really don't want to. I don't want to infest my new pretty hard drive with windows but I need it to run Fruity Loops as they don't make a version on the mac... Do any of you run it and how is it? Does it run ok? and what are the chances of a virus jumping ship from the windows partition to the OSX? I know macs are pretty sealed up from viruses but just a thought if one could. thanks all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Haha, Fruity Loops was one of the reasons I had to install Windows on mine, too. I just use it for that and some games that aren't on Mac yet - Oblivion mostly.

I don't know about the risk of viruses or anything, but mine ran fine. I had Vista Ultimate x86, and before that Windows XP Pro - both were fine. What I actually did was turn off all the network related stuff from the Windows partition anyway. Turned on the firewall to allow no exceptions, and never got on the internet with it. That'll pretty much ensure that you don't get a virus. Just don't use the Windows half for the internet at all.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Im a network admin and all my tools for monitoring the firewall's and remote sites such as Cisco ASDM and PDM require XP and IE6 as does solar winds...blah blah..

My point is I use my MPB exclusively for work and have Parallels with mutiple XP VM's. It runs extremely fast and in most cases faster than a native desktop with XP.

Currently one of my VM's has an Adware virus that symantec keeps bitching about. I don't care b/c it can't affect the Mac so I just close it and grin.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I do it for gaming and some other stuff. Make sure you do it off of Boot Camp - it runs pretty much flawlessly. Viruses don't scare me because they won't affect my computer or the OS X side, just the Windows OS. I actually have both XP and Vista installed (XP with the FlyaKiteOSX skin).

If you need to use it, don't be afraid to.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ok cool. I just sold my pc so I needed a solution and you guys have come through. Thanks for the tips. I knew I shouldn't be afraid to use it but just wanted to make sure because its a new mac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I run parallels XP for ONE on-line learning app at work that requires Windows.

Mac's are in no way "sealed up" from viruses any more than any other version of Linux (and less-so than some). It's just that OSX isn't TARGETED by the creators of viruses, and a Windows virus won't affect OSX. (generally speaking)