Lost, Season 4

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Who's still watching? Last night's episode was wonderful, I thought. Lots of new questions. More flash-forwards (although I'm not convinced that they're all flash-forwards).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    My wife and I caught up during the off season. Watching Lost on DVD became a chore.

Charlie dying was bullshit because the space he was in would have had a huge air pocked at the top. He could have swam out the damn hole that was blown out.

I hope Jack gets killed soon. I can't stand him.

I'm a little bored with the mystery stuff. It could end this season and I'd be happy.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Lost used to be such a great show...

Started out awesome in season 1, was OK in season 2, and 'lost' us during season 3.

The concept was great, but the producers/writers are just guessing now, and trying too hard to milk their cash cow. Lost should have only lasted 2 nice concise season of awesome at the most.

In fact, IMHO it would have worked out best as a 'large' miniseries.

• Reply 3 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It is a large mini-series. In five acts. It ends next season, doesn't it?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I rather liked the opening to Season 4, but it's about time they started answering questions and not creating more.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Next week is going to be interesting. I think they're about to add another group of people - or maybe two.

1) The people from flight 815.

2) The Others.

3) The people looking for the Island (not Penny's hired people) and not associated with the Others.

4) The people Penny hired to find Desmond.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Who's in the casket in LA? No spoilers please. Just uninformed guesses.

Locke?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Who's in the casket in LA? No spoilers please. Just uninformed guesses.

Locke?

That's what I thought, as well. Locke has no family and no real friends.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

It is a large mini-series. In five acts. It ends next season, doesn't it?

Technically correct, but what I meant was several hours spread over 3 or 4 nights.

From what I read about, there are 48 episodes written over the next two seasons (4 and 5).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

I rather liked the opening to Season 4, but it's about time they started answering questions and not creating more.

That's one of the things that is getting tiresome about it.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Technically correct, but what I meant was several hours spread over 3 or 4 nights.

I understand that, but my point is that unlike a meandering series that just asks questions and tried to blow minds, this one actually has announced that there's an endpoint. I tend to think of Lost as a five-act play, with each season being an act. We're in Act 4 now, which means that things should start coming to a moment of crisis before it's all resolved in Act 5.

Quote:

From what I read about, there are 48 episodes written over the next two seasons (4 and 5).

That's what I understand, as well. Plenty of time for more questions!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

They've answered lots and lots of questions. It's just that they've structured the show so that every answered question creates new questions.

For instance, we know what the hatch(es) are, who built them, quite a bit about the nature of the organization that built them, something about why, what became of that organization's membership on the island, what happens when you don't push the button, who Desmond the button pusher is and how he came to be on the island, a lot about the others and how they live, what the big bad looks like and something about its behavior, what the cable on the beach was about, what the numbers are (sort of), where the polar bear came from and why it was there, who (if not what) Jacob is, and quite a bit more.

But all of that just sets ups the next layer of mysteries, such as who "the original inhabitants of the island" actually are, who the people so intent on finding the island are, what has become of the Dharma Initiative and what its relationship to the island is, at this point, what's up with time travel, invisible gurus, invisible whisperers, giant statues, sentient shape-shifting clouds, etc.

Wheee! I think the producers have done a great job of layering their revelations onion-wise, to keep the viewership feeling at least somewhat clued in while keeping bigger questions in reserve. I don't think that it's at all true that they've gone Twin Peaks, and are just sort of vamping to buy time. They're clearly working from a pretty intricate, well defined mythology, and I would imagine the main area of improvisation is in the pace and order of revelations, and possibly some of the interpersonal stuff.

The producers just better hope that they've crafted a sufficiently mind blowing, satisfying central enigma, or they will be set upon by angry, torch bearing internet nerds.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I think the writers strike upset the total number of episodes. Season 4 will be short.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    The plan was to have the 3 remaining seasons with 16 episodes each and no breaks mid season. Apparently 8 are complete, or will be, ready to air before an enforced hiatus due to the strike. I read on Wiki that the producers wanted to hold off until the strike had been resolved so the season cold run uninterrupted but the Network insisted it began in Jan as scheduled

Hopefully we'll get the 2nd 8 in an unbroken run later in the year
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

That's what I thought, as well. Locke has no family and no real friends.

Yea but he wouldn't leave the island.

Another annoying thing is that in "the future" Kate is not in jail. When she left the US she was a murderer and a fugitive.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

where the polar bear came from and why it was there,

I've seen the previous seasons, and downloaded the free recap from itunes, but wasn't able to watch the season 4 opener.

I followed everything you said above, but I don't remember learning about the polar bear. Was the explanation for that in the season 4 opener, or earlier?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I've seen the previous seasons, and downloaded the free recap from itunes, but wasn't able to watch the season 4 opener.

I followed everything you said above, but I don't remember learning about the polar bear. Was the explanation for that in the season 4 opener, or earlier?

We don't know why the polar bears were there, but we do know that the Dharma Initiative was engaging in all kinds of research?some of which was zoological.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Just wait until the next episode. More polar bear strangeness is afoot.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Polar bears reside at the north pole where the earth's magnetic field is stronger.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    We know the cages the others put Kate and Sawyer in were for the bears, and the map that Locke saw on the hatch blast door had the following two notations:

"Possible location of zoological research facility", and "Stated goal: repatriation accelerated de-territorialization of Ursus Maritimus through gene therapy and extreme climate change".

That is, acclimating polar bears to live in warm environments via gene therapy, presumably (hence, "repatriation") as a hedge against some kind of catastrophic loss of their native environment, that presumably being an effect of the general disaster predicted by the "Valenzetti Equation", of which "the numbers" are claimed to be "the core numerical values".

If you haven't given it a look, the cleaned up map is here.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That is, acclimating polar bears to live in warm environments via gene therapy, presumably (hence, "repatriation") as a hedge against some kind of catastrophic loss of their native environment...[/URL]

The next episode touches on this in an interesting way.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The next episode touches on this in an interesting way.

Excellent, and, how do you know these things?