One or Two?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After I configured a Macbook Pro to 2.4 GHz with the top HDD, adding a 3rd party screen, mouse, and keyboard, it came to just a bit over three grand. I then took the Macbook Air base and the iMac 20" 2.4 base, and it came to just a bit under. This is with the student discount, mind you (Mom works for UCLA). After adding some 3rd party RAM to the iMac, the two computers add up to about the same price as the MBP.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what would be most beneficial to me. I do a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Lightroom, soon to be replaced by Aperture (90% of the time at home). I need to be able to take my computer easily to class for basic notes and web usage. What do you think would best suit this situation, given that the prices are almost equal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    If you need mobile power go for the MBP. If you only need a mobile machine for word processing, internet, and other unintensive applications, then the MBA/iMac would seem appropriate. But I doubt that you'll want to run photoshop even 10% of the time on the MBA (particularly after using it on your iMac).

Also think about data sharing issues between the two computers. This would be the thing that would stop me from having a two-machine setup. Maybe .mac can ease this (I don't know), or maybe this will not be an issue for you.

Good luck.