What's wrong with the MacBook Air?

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

They had to hit the 3.0 pound mark. 3.1 pounds isn't the same when it comes to marketing - as reviews will call it "3+ pounds", "slightly over 3 pounds", etc.

I'm sure they would have hit 2.9 pounds if they could possibly have arranged it.

Right. What about no speaker at all? It would be an ounce less and people could just use their headphones!
  • Reply 222 of 236
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I find people that are bitching about one teeny item wouldn't have bought the computer anyway. Now that we've had a few weeks with one person wanting a slot, another wanting another USB, another needing firewire, another just HAS to have a swappable battery, now of course we have to have two speakers instead of one.

If they put two speakers you folks would find something else to complain about.

Just buy the MacBook. It's cheaper and has two speakers.
  • Reply 223 of 236
    If you have the computer off to the side of a room playing some tunes, the difference between one small speaker and two will not be great at all.

I create audio-visual materials and work with audio all the time. One speaker is fine; if you are editing the audio, you will use headphones anyway (or large speakers at home). If you really need stereo, there are plenty of good plug-in speaker systems that have a little more separation between speakers that will increase the stereo effect; the speaker on the Air is close to the middle of the machine so as to provide balanced listening to left and right.

There are iPods for listening to music and there are tiny little external speakers available for them that work fine.

It would be interesting three years from now to revisit the Air and make a list of the "what were they thinking?" comments and compare that to what the purchasers actually do with the Air. I'll bet that a lot of tremendous work gets done on Airs that would make any of the complaints against the machine look laughably insignificant.

Someone today would scoff at a MacPlus and say it couldn't do anything. Tom Clancy and ZZ Top would disagree.
  • Reply 224 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I find people that are bitching about one teeny item wouldn't have bought the computer anyway. Now that we've had a few weeks with one person wanting a slot, another wanting another USB, another needing firewire, another just HAS to have a swappable battery, now of course we have to have two speakers instead of one.

If they put two speakers you folks would find something else to complain about.

Just buy the MacBook. It's cheaper and has two speakers.

Actually the speaker isn't the only thing I'm whining about. I also don't like the glossy display. I have very little reason for a second USB port.

I would prefer a swappable battery. Working in a remote village in an African country without power nearby, I NEED extra batteries.

So yes, you are correct. The MBA is NOT for me. If it had a swappable battery, I would probably purchase one even though it only has one speaker (that's a wish, not a deal breaker).

Currently I tote 5 batteries for my PowerBook G4 when I am "in the field."
  • Reply 225 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Actually the speaker isn't the only thing I'm whining about. I also don't like the glossy display. I have very little reason for a second USB port.

I would prefer a swappable battery. Working in a remote village in an African country without power nearby, I NEED extra batteries.

So yes, you are correct. The MBA is NOT for me. If it had a swappable battery, I would probably purchase one even though it only has one speaker (that's a wish, not a deal breaker).

Currently I tote 5 batteries for my PowerBook G4 when I am "in the field."

Wow, my niece just went down to Honduras to volunteer in a medical clinic, and I got her an extra external battery that lasts 10+ hours and only weighs about 5 lbs and has a magsafe cable. Much easier, cheaper (by a little) and less clutter than 5 batteries to lug. She loves her MBA with it.
  • Reply 226 of 236
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Wow, my niece just went down to Honduras to volunteer in a medical clinic, and I got her an extra external battery that lasts 10+ hours and only weighs about 5 lbs and has a magsafe cable. Much easier, cheaper (by a little) and less clutter than 5 batteries to lug. She loves her MBA with it.

mzaslove, please let me know what battery you found for your niece. I use my 12" PB for recording in various locations and have been considering an external battery (unfortunately, my external recording equipment runs with firewire, so no firewire is a problem for me with the MBA). Thx.
  • Reply 227 of 236
    You could try portable battery packs... check around as there are a variety of sizes and you can get sets that include solar chargers, etc.

Add a solar panel (folding type is lightest) and a controller:

http://www.affordable-solar.com/gse....olar.panel.htm

There is this one that is a backpack with solar on the outside:

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/images...ack-silver.jpg

They are working on a laptop carrying case with solar charging; the case can hold a 17 MBP.

They already have one that should fir the Air:

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/bag_messenger.shtml

You may not be able to completely recharge, but you can surely extend the power over a couple of days, and, if your trip is really long, will cover if there is no AC outlet.

As for recording, I used to use the computer to record but found portable recorders often could do a better job and also saved my battery life. I currently use the H4 from Zoom.
  • Reply 228 of 236
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Bergermeister, Thanks much!
  • Reply 229 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swing View Post

Bergermeister, Thanks much!

No problem!

Depending on your needs and carrying capacity, you could always carry a mini wind turbine such as the Rutland 503:

http://www.yachtbits.com/rutland_mar...nd_charger.php

Have a small battery pack, solar panel and a wind generator (it ill need a pole of some sort, adding to weight) and you may be able to completely charge every or every other day. Get small LED flashlights that run on CR123A batteries (which weigh nothing) and you're set. If you're traveling by car, you can charge up using the cig lighter. If you really get into it, the wind charger can be rigged to operate from a bicycle (sort of like an exercise bike).

Once I get my Air, I will power it entirely from solar. As I won't need to charge it every day, this will be more than satisfactory for me. I use an Ifonix system connected to a solar panel:

http://www.ifonix.com/eng/pc/ts_index.html

My Air should be here within a week (I hope) and I should have some data a week or so after that.
  • Reply 230 of 236
    Apple Store US now shows the Air as its top seller... Time Capsule still doesn't show up...
  • Reply 231 of 236
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple Store US now shows the Air as its top seller... Time Capsule still doesn't show up...

If it's being categorized with the Mac Top Sellers then it probably wouldn't. Software and actual Macs should dominate that category over a router that hasn't yet shipped.

Amazon has more useful categorizations:
    Router Bestsellers#4 is 500GB, #5 is 1TB Time Capsule

Wireless Bestsellers#7 is 500GB, #10 is 1TB Time Capsule
    They are both currently the best seller 802.11n routers. The 500GB and 1TB Time Capsules are also #265 and #302, respectively, among general Electronics.
  • Reply 232 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swing View Post

mzaslove, please let me know what battery you found for your niece. I use my 12" PB for recording in various locations and have been considering an external battery (unfortunately, my external recording equipment runs with firewire, so no firewire is a problem for me with the MBA). Thx.

Great assortment here (we did one of the higher priced ones, but there are some cheaper ones as well): http://www.batterygeek.net/
  • Reply 233 of 236
    mzsalove, thanks for the links. The small battery models look good. I'll probably grab one after I find a new laptop.

And Bergermeister your solar and wind solutions led me to look for solutions for my in-laws, who spend a lot of time in the Congo and could use all sorts of stuff.

I am also waiting for a 1TB Time Capsule. I need additional storage and want to move a mirrored RAID, as well as all its cables, out from under my desk. I suppose I'll move away from a RAID and just backup essential files from the TC over to a USB drive connected to the TC (assuming this will work).

Damn, the MBA is close to my needs. I could live with the minimal capacity for awhile, and eventually upgrade the HD. I run CS3 and various audio apps on my 12" PB, so if I have survived this long with the speed of a 12" PB then I imagine I will not be unhappy with the speed of the MBA. Of course, I'd prefer the speed of a MBP, but the MBP is too big and heavy. I do have a strong preference for firewire, unless there has been some improvement in external recording A/D converters and latency issues with USB. But it seems finally I may be forced to give up my firewire A/D boxes..

I'd like to move from my 12" PB soon . . . and the MB is also too big . . .

Apple's product line-up really does ignore a power user who needs portability. C'est la vie. My guess is I'll have to live with a MBA, but I'll try to hold out awhile longer . . .
  • Reply 234 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Interesting. I looked into this, but was specifically told that I could not carry such a large battery in my carry-on luggage and I would not be allowed to check it because of concerns with the density of the battery. I had to carry on 2 batteries (which isn't allowed now) and check 3 in the luggage compartment, which I was told was the maximum allowed.

I'll have to call the TSA/FAA and see about the large battery. They're certainly cheaper than buying 5 batteries.

The solar panel is an option, but when I last checked they couldn't power things well (this was 4 years ago).
  • Reply 235 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Interesting. I looked into this, but was specifically told that I could not carry such a large battery in my carry-on luggage and I would not be allowed to check it because of concerns with the density of the battery. I had to carry on 2 batteries (which isn't allowed now) and check 3 in the luggage compartment, which I was told was the maximum allowed.

I'll have to call the TSA/FAA and see about the large battery. They're certainly cheaper than buying 5 batteries.

The solar panel is an option, but when I last checked they couldn't power things well (this was 4 years ago).

A couple of times I had to FedEx to myself when I went overseas to shoot something. It was just faster and easier.
  • Reply 236 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it's being categorized with the Mac Top Sellers then it probably wouldn't. Software and actual Macs should dominate that category over a router that hasn't yet shipped.

Amazon has more useful categorizations:
    Router Bestsellers#4 is 500GB, #5 is 1TB Time Capsule

Wireless Bestsellers#7 is 500GB, #10 is 1TB Time Capsule
    They are both currently the best seller 802.11n routers. The 500GB and 1TB Time Capsules are also #265 and #302, respectively, among general Electronics.

The Japan Apple Store lists the Time Capsule at #2 right after the Air, so I assumed the US store would be listing things the same way. Amazon does have a better category break-down.

---

About Solar:

Panels have changed a lot in the last couple of years and it is now feasible to consider a portable system. It still isn't amazingly cheap, but it is an option that will keep some people running long beyond the life of a few batteries. The folding panels are incredibly light-weight; the batteries are a different beast, however. If you are going somewhere remote for more than a few days, a solar/wind combo might do the trick. You could always run down to the port and talk to yachtsmen; they live off both methods.