Menubar: can you change the order of applications up there?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a number of useful applications that reside in Mac's menubar (Leopard).

They are in my account "login items".

Is there a way to change the order in which they appear up there? I know for Mac built-in items (such as volume, wifi, bluetooth, etc), you can command-click and drag them where you want them; this doesn't work for the addon apps...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

I have a number of useful applications that reside in Mac's menubar (Leopard).

They are in my account "login items".

Is there a way to change the order in which they appear up there? I know for Mac built-in items (such as volume, wifi, bluetooth, etc), you can command-click and drag them where you want them; this doesn't work for the addon apps...

Thanks!

I'd like to know that as well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You could try and quit all the apps you have up there and relaunch them from in the order that you want them to appear right to left, and hope they save they way the next time.

I find it ridiculous that you can't simply move them around like Apple's apps.

If I had to take a guess though I'd say though they the will change upon restart from right to left to whichever ones launch first.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Just hold down the command ( apple key, the one with the  on it) and drag the icons into the order you prefer. If I remember correctly, they should stay that way.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goettel View Post

Just hold down the command ( apple key, the one with the  on it) and drag the icons into the order you prefer. If I remember correctly, they should stay that way.

That's just it, as the first poster stated: it doesn't work for all icons. For programs that are up there, they don't move. So, no, we're still trying to figure out how to do it in every instance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The Command key and Drag around option works fine for me and my extra menu bar applications (iStat menues and MenuBar, but not Azureus).

So maybe the programmers didn't implement this option right and you could ask or look for their (programmer's) solution on the developer's website and forum.