If you ride a motorcycle DON'T BUY an iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I love this phone but I have gotten to the point I wished I never purchased it. As a motorcycle rider in today communications age you want to be able to use your phone on your motorcycle. For the millions of Harley owners out there in the world this phone will not interface into your bikes com systems like so many other phones can on the market.



Because of it's non standard headset jack many other third party products also can't be used without spending 1000.00+ dollars and doing custom changes to make it work.



Why Apple did not put the basic industry standard bluetooth profile support is just beyond me. You don't even have the option to set the phone to auto answer in hands free mode while using a headset.



Like I said I love this phone but my love for riding is much bigger so this phone is going in drawer or going to be given to my wife and a replacement is in the works for me. I just wish I would of stayed with my other phone company





UPDATED....



This was posted at the time of the version one iphone. I currently have the 3Gs and have it linked into my bikes comm system with the Zumo and it works great.... but the first version had issues...
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    Because of it's none standard headset jack many other third party products also can't be used without spending 1000.00+ dollars and doing custom changes to make it work.





    headphone jack adapter: $7.99



    http://www.newertech.com/products/iph12.php



    It's not ideal but it works and it's a lot less than 1000.00+ dollars.





    Quote:

    Like I said I love this phone but my love for riding is much bigger so this phone is going in drawer or given to my wife and a replacement is in the works for me. I just wish I would of stayed with my other phone company



    Maybe this will teach you to do some research next time you want to make an expensive purchase. Think of it as a learning experience.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    i ride motorcycles and i own an iphone. i don't think i have the desire to be talking on my cell phone while i'm riding.s
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post


    headphone jack adapter: $7.99



    http://www.newertech.com/products/iph12.php



    It's not ideal but it works and it's a lot less than 1000.00+ dollars.









    Maybe this will teach you to do some research next time you want to make an expensive purchase. Think of it as a learning experience.



    This cable does not address the problem in anyway. Trust me I did my research the hardware supports the bluetooth profiles. It is based on the OSX OS that supports all the profiles but Apple decided not to leave them in the OSX version they installed on the phone. As to how other features work inside the phone and all the options nothing to that level of detail has not been posted about the phone.



    And the reason for this post is to make it clear to anyone else wanting the same usability I do that this PHONE WILL NOT SUPPORT IT. So they can make an informed choice before a purchase.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post


    i ride motorcycles and i own an iphone. i don't think i have the desire to be talking on my cell phone while i'm riding.s



    That is your choice. But it is not mine. I like to listen to music while I ride and and also be able to talk to others while I ride and this phone makes it very hard to do that.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    IAs a motorcycle rider in today communications age you want to be able to use your phone on your motorcycle. For the millions of Harley owners out there in the world this phone will not interface into your bikes com systems like so many other phones can on the market.:



    Hmm... Motorcycle = Harley? Well, maybe only a Harley rider would have the bright idea of using a cell phone while riding!



    Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post


    Hmm... Motorcycle = Harley? Well, maybe only a Harley rider would have the bright idea of using a cell phone while riding!



    Cheers



    You are just to funny.....
  • Reply 7 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    That is your choice. But it is not mine. I like to listen to music while I ride and and also be able to talk to others while I ride and this phone makes it very hard to do that.



    Sounds frustrating, sorry to hear that.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    "You don't even have the option to set the phone to auto answer in hands free mode while using a headset."





    Also, that is the reason it does not work smoothly with my Dock-n-Talk which interfaces with my home phone system. I'm hoping this issue will be corrected in a future update.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post


    Hmm... Motorcycle = Harley? Well, maybe only a Harley rider would have the bright idea of using a cell phone while riding!



    Cheers



    *snickers*



    MotoGP starts soon and wSBK even sooner !



    - gsxr(750)boy
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    You are just to funny.....



    no, you're being quite funny by saying that riding a motorcycle (your thread title) somehow makes an iphone an unsuitable cell phone. there are people on this thread who ride and also own iphones. the things that you'd like to do with your phone do not extrapolate to the whole of the motorcycle riding population.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    True enough. I love my motorcycle and I love my iPhone. To be fair, I don't try to use them both at the same time. Sounds like Gizmo-xl is more of a long distance rider (I'm more within the city), but that's just a guess? You have a point in that context, but I don't think it's fair to make such a blanket statement.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abilstein View Post


    True enough. I love my motorcycle and I love my iPhone. To be fair, I don't try to use them both at the same time. Sounds like Gizmo-xl is more of a long distance rider (I'm more within the city), but that's just a guess? You have a point in that context, but I don't think it's fair to make such a blanket statement.



    You maybe be right about the statement. But I wanted the reader attention and the title got it. The point of this post was to make it clear to those that may want to use the iphone as part of a motorcycle coms system that it currently does not meet the needed requirements for that use.



    Just like voice dialing.



    No Stereo bluetooth or other profiles.



    For many people that ride motorcycles or drive cars these are key requirements in a phone.



    And yes you are right I drive hundreds of miles at a time without stopping.



    I got my iphone on the day they came out and thought after the first or second update they would turn on the bluetooth profiles but that just never happened. I thought they would also have voice dialing in and update also after so many people went off because the iphone did not support it.



    This is also going to be a big deal in other countries where cell phones usage on motorcycles is very common.



    The iPhone could of been one of the best things to come out for the motorcycle riding community because it supported music, phone, and web, and I am sure it will soon support some type of GPS attachment and TomTom maps. This would allow the rider to only have to mount one device the iPhone on the bike and use a bluetooth helmet no wires and the rider would have all the key elements needed audio coms and maybe gps support soon. It would been a great solution, but it fell short.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Before I purchased the iphone I did quite a bit of research to know what the devices capabilities were. I use a bluetooth headset. I prefer not to talk on the phone while I am driving. Driving an automobile is dangerous enough. Making a call on a motorcycle! That's just plain crazy! I had a motorola razr with voice dialing and I never used it because it did not work some of the time. The iphone does a great job answering calls with a bluetooth head set. And that's the only time I will talk on the phone while driving. If I have to make a call, I wait until I arrive at my destination. If I really need to make a call. I will pull over and park. it's just common sense.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    You maybe be right about the statement. But I wanted the reader attention and the title got it. The point of this post was to make it clear to those that may want to use the iphone as part of a motorcycle coms system that it currently does not meet the needed requirements for that use.



    Just like voice dialing.



    No Stereo bluetooth or other profiles.



    For many people that ride motorcycles or drive cars these are key requirements in a phone.



    And yes you are right I drive hundreds of miles at a time without stopping.



    I got my iphone on the day they came out and thought after the first or second update they would turn on the bluetooth profiles but that just never happened. I thought they would also have voice dialing in and update also after so many people went off because the iphone did not support it.



    This is also going to be a big deal in other countries where cell phones usage on motorcycles is very common.



    The iPhone could of been one of the best things to come out for the motorcycle riding community because it supported music, phone, and web, and I am sure it will soon support some type of GPS attachment and TomTom maps. This would allow the rider to only have to mount one device the iPhone on the bike and use a bluetooth helmet no wires and the rider would have all the key elements needed audio coms and maybe gps support soon. It would been a great solution, but it fell short.



    i've done some long rides myself and i'll refrain from getting into a pissing match between riders on what kind of riding or bikes we each choose. fact of the matter is the iphone's capabilities were well enough known when it came out that there's really no excuse for being upset about its lack of functionality. besides i know there are a lot of newer gps systems out there that accomplish everything that you're asking for and can connect to a bluetooth phone and run through a chatterbox or autocom system. those gps systems also have built-in hard drives or flash card slots. i've gone down on my bike with my nav system attached to the bars and i don't think i'd have wanted my phone to be on there anyway. i'd rather have my garmin on there. it can take a lickin and it's also much more water-resistant than the iphone.



    my first reply was in response to your blanket headline which actually confused me as i couldn't see the relationship between my phone and my motorcycle. to say motorcyclists shouldn't buy iphones is a weird statement. perhaps sport-touring or long-range motorcyclists would have cleared it up.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Please note I would not say I am really upset I except the fact I purchased the phone and knew of most of it's short falls but in the case of voice dialing and Bluetooth I just can't understand why Apple would not add the other bluetooth profiles support or voice dialing feature. The current hardware can support it and it only requires a software change.



    3g or GPS is not an issue for me like most people I just wish they would turn on the features the current hardware can support.



    I also agree there are all kinds of hardware you can purchase and with enough cords, converters and $$$ you can make something work.



    If the phone had voice dialing and HSP (Headset Profile), HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile ((streaming stereo)), and AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) then the phone would not need to be mounted on the bike at all.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    If you ever ride on an airplane (airline) then DON'T BUY ANY CELL PHONE, MP3 PLAYER, LAPTOP, OR ANY ELECRONIC DEVICE! because they won't let you use then during the departure and arrival portions of the flight!!



    geez... the original post made about that much sense.

    My iPhone earbuds fit quite comfortably in my ears inside the helmet... listening to music is not a problem... and if I'm on the highway i could stuff the mic under the helmet and talk (i suppose, i don't actually have any desire to talk on the phone while I'm riding... I ride to get AWAY from that crap ) If you're not in a situation where you can spare a hand for a moment to click the button on the cord, then perhaps the situation demands your full attention on the road anyway
  • Reply 17 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    i don't actually have any desire to talk on the phone while I'm riding... I ride to get AWAY from that crap



    'Zactly!
  • Reply 18 of 44
    I have some theories about why these were not included.



    Bluetooth:



    It sucks. I've personally had more headaches with Bluetooth than just about any other technology and I am a techno nut. The only thing it is good for is pairing (moderately) securely with a headset and that's the feature they have added to the iPhone. Wifi is superior for every other application. Apple tends to be the first to leave out technologies they think are poor or outdated. As wifi chips shrink and their power usage declines, it will take bluetooth's place.



    Voice dialing:



    It's not difficult to make voice dialing that works. It's much more difficult to make voice dialing that works to Apple's standards of usability. That's not to say they won't do it but it will take more time and may only be available for future iPhone models.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post


    Please note I would not say I am really upset I except the fact I purchased the phone and knew of most of it's short falls but in the case of voice dialing and Bluetooth I just can't understand why Apple would not add the other bluetooth profiles support or voice dialing feature. The current hardware can support it and it only requires a software change.



    3g or GPS is not an issue for me like most people I just wish they would turn on the features the current hardware can support.



    I also agree there are all kinds of hardware you can purchase and with enough cords, converters and $$$ you can make something work.



    If the phone had voice dialing and HSP (Headset Profile), HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile ((streaming stereo)), and AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) then the phone would not need to be mounted on the bike at all.



  • Reply 19 of 44
    found this thread while searching and thought I'd add my 2 bits. I got this wicked headset for my iphone. http://www.bikeintercom.com/products...ne_headset.htm

    It uses dual helmet speakers and has a push to answer button. I listen to the ipod function most of the time and when a call comes in, (I slow right down, sometimes even pull over but at least i don't have to turn the engine off, pull off gloves and helmet). And I can take a call. The iphone even pauses the music and starts again after the call. There

    is no better motorcycle cellular phone/smartphone on the market. I can talk up to around 60mph on the highway.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appollo View Post


    found this thread while searching and thought I'd add my 2 bits. I got this wicked headset for my iphone. http://www.bikeintercom.com/products...ne_headset.htm

    It uses dual helmet speakers and has a push to answer button. I listen to the ipod function most of the time and when a call comes in, (I slow right down, sometimes even pull over but at least i don't have to turn the engine off, pull off gloves and helmet). And I can take a call. The iphone even pauses the music and starts again after the call. There

    is no better motorcycle cellular phone/smartphone on the market. I can talk up to around 60mph on the highway.



    Appollo, Thanks for the feedback I have seen this and it is a good product that will work for most riders.



    But after writing this post I had made a wiring harness for the iPhone to work with my Harley Ultra that allows the helmet coms to support the iphone (Music, and Phone functions) and also the bikes other coms (CB, Radio, Weather Rado, and GPS) and also charges the iPhone and has added amp to increase volumn to the helmet if needed at the same time for about $30.00 and if you include the bike device mount the total cost is about $120.00.



    I have found this to work better than the bluetooth hands down.
Sign In or Register to comment.