How to configure the HP Photosmart C4388 to work over WiFi?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello!

I bought an HP Photosmart 4388 All-In-One (printer, copier and scanner) yesterday. It has 802.11g built-in.

I started the setup assistant and configured it to work over WiFi. In the list of available networks, it showed 'hpsetup' and I used that to get it up and running. The process was completed successfully but no matter what I did, it just wouldn't actually print. Everything seemed to be fine, it had a working status and all. But when I added something to the print queue, it just says "Printer offline". If I pause the job, it again shows "Printer ready".

So, basically, what is it I am doing wrong? Is there some walkthrough of some sort on the Internet that I can follow?

Also, even if I do get it working, will I have to keep using the 'hpsetup' network? I already have a WiFi network in my house (through a Netgear router). Can't I use that one network for all my WiFi enabled devices (which, right now, just includes my MacBook Pro and the HP AIO)?

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    P.S. - I am using a Core Duo 2.16GHz MacBook Pro 17" with up-to-date software (i.e. Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Umm... no one?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have an HP 6980 set up to print wirelessly.

I loaded the HP drivers (back when running 10.4) and it was a breeze. It noticed it immediately and printed without any problems.

Have you called HP?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I got and idea.

System Pref>Printers & Fax> Click '+' button in lower left of dialogue box

I've done that in order for my Mac to recognize some printers I have at work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thank you for the reply!

Clicking on that just opens the 'Add Printer' thing, but it does not list my printer.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hello Aryayush,

Did you get your printer working with wifi? I got the C4388 yesterday and am having the same problem. Appreciate your help.

Ok. Here is an update. I called up HP tech support and they helped me fix the issue. This seems to be the problem (strange though): The printer which got installed has to be deleted in the System Preferences ->Printer & Fax (Use the - ). Then a new printer has to be created by clicking the + and select the printer with HPIP kind. That's the network printer and the one that gets installed during the installation process is for the USB option.

Hope this helps if any one else has issues.