Will Never Happen!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
3 things that people ALWAYS talk about in every thead that I think will NEVER EVER EVER happen:



1) Return of Newton, 1.5x iPod Touch, the mini (cripled) Tablet that mimics the Touch. Will never happen. Please tell me, what are its uses? What are its advantages over a iPod Touch or an iPhone? Both of those are more portable, now with more storage, so how would a 7" or 10" iPod Touch be useful for ANYONE? Also, how would this be better than just having a fully functional OSX 13" Tablet? Why would anyone need a PDA, PDAs are dead! iPod Touches and iPhones are far better PDAs anyways and will only improve with the SDK.



2) A headless xMac. An Apple consumer-focused Mid-Tower. In a way a cheaper Mac Pro, just not Pro. What would it really be? A Dell box designed and branded by Apple. I know tons of you out there wish you could throw in a better graphics cars into a Mac Mini, or have just one expansion slot and the same people think the Mac Pro is too expensive and over-kill. Thats not what macs are really for, however. They are not for the Tim Allen build-it-yourself types and make it look like a Honda Civic complete with glowing cables and 10 non-working USB/Firewire/SD card reader ports on a PCI slot. Macs area an eco-sytem, and while I do believe Apple will include better graphics cards, they might also include small room for expansion down the road. However, we will never see an xMac.



3) Death of the Mac Mini. Mac Mini is here to stay, forever, unless it is replaced by another product line that expands the idea of the Mini, like a Mac Nano. Mac Mini is actually a great tool to bait switchers, and over time, we will see better Minis perhaps for even cheaper prices! Mac Minis were never meant to compete with bottom-feeder sub $400 PCs like Dell or eMachines and never will. Maybe Apple might offer cheaper Mac Mini solution to the education markets (a la eMac), but that would be education only.



Sorry guys and gals, but none of these things will ever occur. They just don't make any sense. Sure, they are dramatic and fodder for speculation, but none of these would benefit Apple.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 67
    you missed MACBOOK PRO UPDATE
  • Reply 2 of 67
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    3 things that people ALWAYS talk about in every thead that I think will NEVER EVER EVER happen:



    1) Return of Newton, 1.5x iPod Touch, the mini (cripled) Tablet that mimics the Touch. Will never happen. Please tell me, what are its uses? What are its advantages over a iPod Touch or an iPhone? Both of those are more portable, now with more storage, so how would a 7" or 10" iPod Touch be useful for ANYONE? Also, how would this be better than just having a fully functional OSX 13" Tablet? Why would anyone need a PDA, PDAs are dead! iPod Touches and iPhones are far better PDAs anyways and will only improve with the SDK.



    2) A headless xMac. An Apple consumer-focused Mid-Tower. In a way a cheaper Mac Pro, just not Pro. What would it really be? A Dell box designed and branded by Apple. I know tons of you out there wish you could throw in a better graphics cars into a Mac Mini, or have just one expansion slot and the same people think the Mac Pro is too expensive and over-kill. Thats not what macs are really for, however. They are not for the Tim Allen build-it-yourself types and make it look like a Honda Civic complete with glowing cables and 10 non-working USB/Firewire/SD card reader ports on a PCI slot. Macs area an eco-sytem, and while I do believe Apple will include better graphics cards, they might also include small room for expansion down the road. However, we will never see an xMac.



    3) Death of the Mac Mini. Mac Mini is here to stay, forever, unless it is replaced by another product line that expands the idea of the Mini, like a Mac Nano. Mac Mini is actually a great tool to bait switchers, and over time, we will see better Minis perhaps for even cheaper prices! Mac Minis were never meant to compete with bottom-feeder sub $400 PCs like Dell or eMachines and never will. Maybe Apple might offer cheaper Mac Mini solution to the education markets (a la eMac), but that would be education only.



    Sorry guys and gals, but none of these things will ever occur. They just don't make any sense. Sure, they are dramatic and fodder for speculation, but none of these would benefit Apple.



    When the mactouch comes out I'm going to remind you of this post of yours every day until you scream and beg for mercy!!!! muhooohahhahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    To update a clichéd 1950s phrase... Was this post really necessary?
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    When the mactouch comes out I'm going to remind you of this post of yours every day until you scream and beg for mercy!!!! muhooohahhahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!



    I love my new iPod Touch 32 but I would like a Mac Touch that was larger so I could hit the right keys on the keyboard on the first try. I have to rotate the iPod landscape to expand the keyboard enough to use it. If the keyboard had real buttons like my Centro phone then the screen would be too tiny for videos. A larger Mac Touch would keep the full screen and have an easier keyboard to use. It would be a nice toy.



    Or, how about a Macbook Pro with a touch screen that works like the iPod Touch where you could just flick your finger and stuff would fly around the screen and automatically end up right where you want them to (like magic on the iPod Touch.) That would be cool.



    (They could call it the Headless xMac Mini Touch!)
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    you missed MACBOOK PRO UPDATE



    lol, thats next Teusday!
  • Reply 6 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,659member
    Well you can pretend I wrote no.1 because I have constantly been saying the tablet will be a Mac and not an iPod, thus the name [I created] Mac touch.



    However I don't know if Apple's first tablet will be 13", that's what the Air is for. I have been saying it will be 11", but Apple may even go one step further and make it 10" [I'd personally prefer 11"]. Expect other sizes in the future from Apple, but expect the first Mac touch to be only one screen size around 11". With either an Air-esque tapered exterior design, or a flat slab around 15mm thick. Expect some sort of pop-out stand also.



    By the way who likes the first draft design of my blog? I guess you need one these days. I mocked it up in iWeb, I will make the real thing next month. I acquired the domain takingnotes(dot)net several months ago. Final version will have a leather binding up top and some subtle background tweaks etc.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post




    2) A headless xMac... I know tons of you out there wish you could throw in a better graphics cars into a Mac Mini, or have just one expansion slot and the same people think the Mac Pro is too expensive and over-kill.



    If you really believe that there are tons of people who want a midrange headless, then there's your reason for Apple to build one.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    Thats not what macs are really for, however. They are not for the Tim Allen build-it-yourself types and make it look like a Honda Civic complete with glowing cables and 10 non-working USB/Firewire/SD card reader ports on a PCI slot.



    Asking for space for two standard hard drives and an upgradeable graphics card is not asking for glowing cables.



    There are countless different ways to use a computer. For some people the mini is probably great, but a 2.5 inch drive does not make sense in a desktop machine for a mac-enthusiast, a gamer, a creative pro, or even a grandmother with an interest in home video. Some of these people will be happy with an iMac, but definitely not all of them. And you can't tell everybody to buy a Mac Pro, because the current cheapest machine is an 8 core monster for $2799! That's called overkill.



    There is an enormous hole in the Mac line up right now. I feel certain that Apple is aware of this. I have no insight into what it will be filled with, but I'd be very surprised if we don't see a new line of Macs replacing the mini and filling the gap.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Now that mdotdubz has enlightened us on How Things Are (tm) on the Apple product line front, could we get the next week's lottery numbers too?



    OP ignores the piles of quality arguments presented on the subject before (by both sides). As if we needed an opinion piece of something that has been chewed up so much already. And if that wasn't enough, there just have to be opinions to two more open arguments.



    This might not be a purposeful troll but it is a de facto troll. Maybe a little too obvious to work.



    How 'bout we let this thread die and if someone really isn't through discussing one of the three things, to make a new thread specific to that thing with a little more meat than "I think XYZ will NEVER NEVER NEVER be!"
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Well you can pretend I wrote no.1 because I have constantly been saying the tablet will be a Mac and not an iPod, thus the name [I created] Mac touch.



    However I don't know if Apple's first tablet will be 13", that's what the Air is for. I have been saying it will be 11", but Apple may even go one step further and make it 10" [I'd personally prefer 11"]. Expect other sizes in the future from Apple, but expect the first Mac touch to be only one screen size around 11". With either an Air-esque tapered exterior design, or a flat slab around 15mm thick. Expect some sort of pop-out stand also.



    By the way who likes the first draft design of my blog? I guess you need one these days. I mocked it up in iWeb, I will make the real thing next month. I acquired the domain takingnotes(dot)net several months ago. Final version will have a leather binding up top and some subtle background tweaks etc.



    Exactly! I agree, we already have 4 different iPods (5 if you count the iPhone & 6 if you want to stretch the AppleTV, which in essence is an iPod for the living room). If there is a Mac Touch, it will be a true tablet with full OSX. If you want to play your videos, or songs or anything else, you can just like you would on an iPod except that it doesn't stop there! 11" sounds reasonable for a Tablet, but I see it being close to 13". Why because that would make it close to the 8"x11" standard for a page, and wouldn't that be an ideal size for a tablet?



    As for the pop-out stand, I think Apple might want to try minimizing moving parts... I envision an iMac-like stand, where the tablet will hang when on a desktop and turn into, well, a desktop!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post


    Now that mdotdubz has enlightened us on How Things Are (tm) on the Apple product line front, could we get the next week's lottery numbers too?



    OP ignores the piles of quality arguments presented on the subject before (by both sides). As if we needed an opinion piece of something that has been chewed up so much already. And if that wasn't enough, there just have to be opinions to two more open arguments.



    This might not be a purposeful troll but it is a de facto troll. Maybe a little too obvious to work.



    How 'bout we let this thread die and if someone really isn't through discussing one of the three things, to make a new thread specific to that thing with a little more meat than "I think XYZ will NEVER NEVER NEVER be!"



    06 41 17 12 35 powerball 11. Happy? Now go troll somewhere else please. If you have something useful to contribute, your more than welcome to your opinion. Otherwise scram back to under your bridge, vermin!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post


    I love my new iPod Touch 32 but I would like a Mac Touch that was larger so I could hit the right keys on the keyboard on the first try. I have to rotate the iPod landscape to expand the keyboard enough to use it. If the keyboard had real buttons like my Centro phone then the screen would be too tiny for videos. A larger Mac Touch would keep the full screen and have an easier keyboard to use. It would be a nice toy.



    Or, how about a Macbook Pro with a touch screen that works like the iPod Touch where you could just flick your finger and stuff would fly around the screen and automatically end up right where you want them to (like magic on the iPod Touch.) That would be cool.



    (They could call it the Headless xMac Mini Touch!)



    I can see what your saying about the small keys on the iPod Touch, however, I'm pretty sure apple took multiple hand sizes into account when designing the device. I can see your argument for a "larger" iPod, however, why cripple it and make it only an iPod when it could truly be a fully capable Mac.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macjello






    There are countless different ways to use a computer. For some people the mini is probably great, but a 2.5 inch drive does not make sense in a desktop machine for a mac-enthusiast, a gamer, a creative pro, or even a grandmother with an interest in home video. Some of these people will be happy with an iMac, but definitely not all of them. And you can't tell everybody to buy a Mac Pro, because the current cheapest machine is an 8 core monster for $2799! That's called overkill.



    There is an enormous hole in the Mac line up right now. I feel certain that Apple is aware of this. I have no insight into what it will be filled with, but I'd be very surprised if we don't see a new line of Macs replacing the mini and filling the gap.



    About the xMac, perhaps Apple could mess with the Mac Mini and its dimensions slightly, give it a slot or two and make it more user friendly by giving some wiggle-room for upgrades such as those that you have mentioned. I don't see them building a full or mid-size tower though, not even a cube.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    you missed MACBOOK PRO UPDATE



    LOL! LOLLAPALOOZA!!!!!



    But seriously, if they don't update the damn thing, I'm gonna buy a PC. Just out of spite. I will hate it and regret it even before I buy it, but I'll do it just because I'm pissed off....
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Oh! I almost forgot.

    This post is an almost complete waist of space.

    From now on, if someone starts talking about how great the Newton was in any of the other hundred threads on this site, you may put them in their place IN THAT THREAD. No one needs you to tell off everyone on this site about something that not everyone on this site has said.

    So I empower you to voice these opinions when and WHERE they come up.

    Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacJello View Post


    ...Mac Pro, because the current cheapest machine is an 8 core monster for $2799! That's called overkill...



    You're off by $500, but $2299 is still overkill if a Mini or iMac is sufficient for your needs.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    Exactly! I agree, we already have 4 different iPods (5 if you count the iPhone & 6 if you want to stretch the AppleTV, which in essence is an iPod for the living room). If there is a Mac Touch, it will be a true tablet with full OSX. If you want to play your videos, or songs or anything else, you can just like you would on an iPod except that it doesn't stop there! 11" sounds reasonable for a Tablet, but I see it being close to 13". Why because that would make it close to the 8"x11" standard for a page, and wouldn't that be an ideal size for a tablet?



    As for the pop-out stand, I think Apple might want to try minimizing moving parts... I envision an iMac-like stand, where the tablet will hang when on a desktop and turn into, well, a desktop!



    I agree that they are more likely to release a larger tablet. Internal specs probably similar to MacBook air. HOWEVER, while I think it will run OSX10.5.2, I don't expect it to look the same. The interface will probably be somewhere between the iPhone and the regular one. At least in full tablet mode. If this docks with a keyboard/trackpad setup (turning it into a hybrid laptop) then it would look more like the Mac desktop. This was always my problem with Windows tablets, the input method changes...but the interface looks the same! I agree with Ireland that Apple will market this toward desktop people. I think LoopRumors, a while ago, spoke about a "Mac Communicator" tablet that does exactly this.



    Apple better hurry up and release this thing too because I need me a portable computer and I want a tablet...and the HP TX2000 series is looking mighty tempting at the moment...if only I could get OSX on that thing, it would be great (not perfect...perfect would give me an active digitizer AND multitouch...but that is only a dream for now).
  • Reply 14 of 67
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    3 things that people ALWAYS talk about in every thead that I think will NEVER EVER EVER happen:

    ...



    You're right, but it won't stop the discussions, ever.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    What the hell are you people blind?????

    Get to my new thread and try to figure out what that "universal Appliance" is all about!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 67
    gustavgustav Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacJello View Post


    If you really believe that there are tons of people who want a midrange headless, then there's your reason for Apple to build one.



    I for one, do not believe there are tons of people who want one. I believe there are a disproportionate number of people who post in forums that want an xMac, including myself - but they pale in comparison to the actual consumers.



    Quote:

    Asking for space for two standard hard drives and an upgradeable graphics card is not asking for glowing cables.



    I agree, but a few people asking really loudly is of lower priority than a lot of people who just settle for an iMac.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post


    Oh! I almost forgot.

    This post is an almost complete waist of space.

    From now on, if someone starts talking about how great the Newton was in any of the other hundred threads on this site, you may put them in their place IN THAT THREAD. No one needs you to tell off everyone on this site about something that not everyone on this site has said.

    So I empower you to voice these opinions when and WHERE they come up.

    Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow.



    If thats what you think this thread is about than you, along with select few others, have missed the point entirely. Its not for me to vent, I really want people to tell me what the advantages of 1.5x iPod or MacTouch or whatever is. Same goes for xMac, whats the point. I want to hear valid reasons for or against it.



    But seriously, this tread wasn't made for me to vent and go "BLAH BLAH BLAH, I HATE THIS AND THAT AND I HATE YOU TOO!", so please reread it, and if u can contribute something useful great, if not, go to your nearest Romantic Accessory Shop, buy a "personal massager", and go F*ck Youself!



    J/K... its all good
  • Reply 18 of 67
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post


    I for one, do not believe there are tons of people who want one. I believe there are a disproportionate number of people who post in forums that want an xMac, including myself - but they pale in comparison to the actual consumers.



    To answer this statement, I went to Fry's and Best Buy, What I saw was a complete absence of AIO computers and Mac mini style computers except for those made by Apple.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post


    I agree, but a few people asking really loudly is of lower priority than a lot of people who just settle for an iMac.



    What % of desktops sold are AIO and Mac mini like?



    The xMac threads or discussions that turn into xMac threads will not go away, ever. There is much to much interest coming from the consuming public.



    Apple will never offer an xMac or xMac like computer, but that will only guarantee endless future generations of discussions, just like this one.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post


    3 things that people ALWAYS talk about in every thead that I think will NEVER EVER EVER happen:



    1) Return of Newton, 1.5x iPod Touch, the mini (cripled) Tablet that mimics the Touch. Will never happen. Please tell me, what are its uses? What are its advantages over a iPod Touch or an iPhone? Both of those are more portable, now with more storage, so how would a 7" or 10" iPod Touch be useful for ANYONE? Also, how would this be better than just having a fully functional OSX 13" Tablet? Why would anyone need a PDA, PDAs are dead! iPod Touches and iPhones are far better PDAs anyways and will only improve with the SDK.



    2) A headless xMac. An Apple consumer-focused Mid-Tower. In a way a cheaper Mac Pro, just not Pro. What would it really be? A Dell box designed and branded by Apple. I know tons of you out there wish you could throw in a better graphics cars into a Mac Mini, or have just one expansion slot and the same people think the Mac Pro is too expensive and over-kill. Thats not what macs are really for, however. They are not for the Tim Allen build-it-yourself types and make it look like a Honda Civic complete with glowing cables and 10 non-working USB/Firewire/SD card reader ports on a PCI slot. Macs area an eco-sytem, and while I do believe Apple will include better graphics cards, they might also include small room for expansion down the road. However, we will never see an xMac.



    3) Death of the Mac Mini. Mac Mini is here to stay, forever, unless it is replaced by another product line that expands the idea of the Mini, like a Mac Nano. Mac Mini is actually a great tool to bait switchers, and over time, we will see better Minis perhaps for even cheaper prices! Mac Minis were never meant to compete with bottom-feeder sub $400 PCs like Dell or eMachines and never will. Maybe Apple might offer cheaper Mac Mini solution to the education markets (a la eMac), but that would be education only.



    Sorry guys and gals, but none of these things will ever occur. They just don't make any sense. Sure, they are dramatic and fodder for speculation, but none of these would benefit Apple.



    You know it could be argued that the mini is the headless xMac.





    It's just not the xMac that some want.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    You know it could be argued that the mini is the headless xMac.





    It's just not the xMac that some want.



    Pretty true, but those same people love to hate the mini while nagging for an xMac.
Sign In or Register to comment.