I'm New, and need advice.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Im new here, I just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a Freelance Graphic Designer running a 2005 IMac G5 Desktop, which is an awsome computer!

However the OS and applications inside of it are basically out of date, and I am seeking advice for upgrading the inner workings of it.

OS X 10.3.9

Adobe CS

QuarkXPress 6.0

I am looking to do the following to it:

Upgrade to: OS Leopard ($129.00)

iLife '08 ($ 79.00) - Even though I am a graphic designer, I specialize in Print Only; I need to start building my online portfolio

Extensis Suitcase - I dont even have this right now

Adobe CS3 - Upgrade only!

QuarkXPress - Upgrade only!

What do you think of this?

Is there any "words of wisdom" that this forum might be able to offer, as I try to get this done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angel203 View Post

I am looking to do the following to it:

Upgrade to: OS Leopard ($129.00)

iLife '08 ($ 79.00) - Even though I am a graphic designer, I specialize in Print Only; I need to start building my online portfolio

Extensis Suitcase - I dont even have this right now

Adobe CS3 - Upgrade only!

QuarkXPress - Upgrade only!

What do you think of this?

Is there any "words of wisdom" that this forum might be able to offer, as I try to get this done?

On the graphics applications package I cannot comment and others here could advise you better, but Leopard is an obvious necessary update. 10.3.9 will limit your software choice today and your iMac is perfectly capable to run fluidly the new OS. Furthermore, Leopard will push your iMac in a higher level of functionality with all the extra features.

Although I would also recommend iLife, I hear complains about the new iMovie, so I don't know. It depends on your needs.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    The complaints with iMove have to do with the level of experience you bring to application. If you are professional, simi-professional, serious hobbyist or even had some training you will not like iMovie. On the otherhand, if you are a complete novice at movie editing you should do alright with the current version of iMovie. Maybe even better.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Angel... I too am on an iMac a little newer though... Your plan to upgrade will be a necessity...I would caution you not to upgrade all the way to TIGER 10.5....I feel it will slow your machine down greatly as it is pretty much designed to run on the much faster intel duo core Macs... I pit TIGER on one of my older iMacs (the bubble base) and I can really tell a difference..I really like alll the new features but it is really at it's working limits with the very complex 10.5OS...Further there are still NUMEROUS bugs in TIGER.... Don't know if you need Quark as CS3 is probably as all inclusive a Suite of applications that you need.. it's brialliatly integrated...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Instead of Extensis Suitcase, why not try the free, and in my opinion better, Linotype FontExplorer X?

It's always updated and works flawlessly.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I also have a G5 iMac (2.0GHz with 2GB RAM). Leopard is very fast on it. There is no slowdown IMO.