Chimera vs. Safari

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Safari hates hotmail. So im sticking with Chimera, and it seems to run better on my ancient dial-up, so Im happy.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    In a recent build of Chimera (sometime between early January and three days ago), they fixed the big buttons... they're still a bit big but they're much smaller and better looking than before.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by Lil.Tope:

<strong>Safari hates hotmail. So im sticking with Chimera, and it seems to run better on my ancient dial-up, so Im happy.</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, that has been fixed in the v56 build of Safari.

In the mean time, here's a trick for you.

* Go and login to Hotmail.com from the front page as normal.

* You will get the JavaScript error.

* Click the Help link.

* You will be taken to a page with the usual Hotmail tabs.

* Click the Inbox tab.

* You're in!

[quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>In a recent build of Chimera (sometime between early January and three days ago), they fixed the big buttons... they're still a bit big but they're much smaller and better looking than before.</strong><hr></blockquote>I just pulled today's build to verify this. They fixed the padding issue that added the huge extra amounts of height and width ages ago (November? It was before 0.6), but the widgets themselves are still using the standard size rather than the small size and applying the wrong amounts of padding. OmniWeb and Safari use the small size widgets. While it may technically be okay to use the standard size (except that Chimera doesn't provide proper horizontal padding to the buttons nor does it use the correct font size for that kind of button), I personally prefer the smaller size for web page controls.

For anyone that isn't familiar with the different sizes, here's a side-by-side example. Chimera's widgets are on the left and Safari's on the right.

And here are the *correct* ways of forming buttons according to Apple's UI Guidelines:

As you can tell, Safari uses the correct size and spacing for the small widget. Chimera's sizes are way off and therefore make the button look strange. It seems as if Chimera is trying to make a button with the size settings of the small style, but it's applying those dimensions to the regular size button instead. Yuck. And it's been this way for a long time.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch:

<strong>Chimera. Its faster, has tabs and no metallic UI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

there's a non-metallic version of safari, forget where i found it
  • Reply 25 of 42
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

[QB]Just thought I would pose the question...what one do you still prefer, if it's even still a competition?

I have to admit...I love Safari! I use it more than Mozilla or Chimera now. I think it's important to support Apple when they try to do something really nice for us (even though it's free...ahem).
  • Reply 26 of 42
    I've been using Safari exclusively since it was released and I guess it has it's ups and downs. Sometimes it seems really fast and other times it lags (5-10 seconds + now and then :eek: ) Flash isn't the greatest but I'm living with it for now. The bookmark organization is a bit overwhelming. Some pages don't display properly. The download manager is top notch and I love how it mounts things automatically. Chimera does seem a bit faster, however I'm using Safari because it's better looking, MUCH better UI, and it's from Apple! I can't wait to see what future builds bring. I'm hoping that Apple will integrate that tabs program hack (can't remember the name...) among other things.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    trashed chimera today...safari with pith is fine for now...hopefully by 1.0 it will have tabs or something similar yet better...and all that....thanks chimera for keeping me from using IE for the last few months...i will remember you fondly....g
  • Reply 28 of 42
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Safari. Here's a quick list of reasons just off the top of my head.

[snip]
    • Better QuickTime and Flash integration (no scrolling weirdness where the image is not drawn in sync with the page).

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>Really? OK. I guess Flash and QT is OK, but Java has a nasty way of proliferating itself over a page when you scroll. See: <a href="http://www.kratz1.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.kratz1.com/</a>;

[quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>there's a non-metallic version of safari, forget where i found it</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's called Metallifizer by Unsanity. Find it at<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15896&db=mac"; target="_blank">Version Tracker</a>.

I really think that Safari is faster. For a while I used Pith Helmet to block ads, but I just discovered that it tended to make Safari have trouble contacting servers.

The best part is the cache loads so fast. Combined with my new five button mouse that has back and forward buttons, I'm cruisin' the internet faster than ever.

My favorite feature (I can have a favorite feature and a best part, too ), though, is the ability to put drop down menus in the bookmarks bar. It sure beats the two rows of bookmarks I had in Chimera. Now I just have about 7 menus with about 5 sites each. It makes for really fast browsing.

And, I absolutely abhored Chimera's text entry fields. Even a seventh grader can make a Text editor for OS X. How hard is it to implement it into a browser?!?

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: bauman ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 42
    [quote] Really? OK. I guess Flash and QT is OK, but Java has a nasty way of proliferating itself over a page when you scroll. See: <a href="http://www.kratz1.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.kratz1.com/</a>; <hr></blockquote>

site looks fine to me...what version of Safari are you running?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    had problems at some sites with Chimera (the redstripebeer site was horrid at quicktime images for some reason)...safari runs them great so far...flash seems to be doing better for me too...when is v56 officially coming out?? g
  • Reply 31 of 42
    I think Safari has a memory leaking issue. If I leave it open for say a day or so, and then check top in the terminal, the app's vsize is in the hundreds of MB. Is this normal? Anyway despite this, I still prefer it over anything else.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

site looks fine to me...what version of Safari are you running?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you scroll up and down the Java time-spinning thing seems to replicate itself all over the screen. I have a scroll wheel, and it happens when I scroll quickly, and it also happens when your drag the scroll bar quickly.

[Edit] I'm running v51.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: bauman ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>when is v56 officially coming out?? g</strong><hr></blockquote>I doubt v56 will ever be officially made a public build. It has a number of improvements over v51, but it has one really annoying bug where it stalls when catching double-click events.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Safari is cool

Other than IE, how many browsers help you out when you HAVE TO use Windows Media player?

At least Safari suggests opening an application that fits the bill. This was why I ditched Navigator, erm I mean Chimera.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Chalk up another vote for Chimera. The only thing I like about Safari is the Google search direct from the toolbar, but I found a workaround for that.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xidius:

<strong>Safari. Soooo much faster than Chimera.

I miss tabs though.

- Xidius</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're not running a Chimera nightly, are you?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    eloelo Posts: 22member
    safari is the fastest browser I've ever used. I love the bookmark organization, snapback and google bar. I especially like the minimal interface.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    safari is a pain in the ass with how it stalls on page loading.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by elo:

<strong>safari is the fastest browser I've ever used. I love the bookmark organization, snapback and google bar. I especially like the minimal interface.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you ever used IE on Windows?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Chimera all the way for now.

Safari feels like "Internet Browsing for Beginners" Dumbed down to hell. Is there a way to have the status bar? IE where you see where a link goes and if a page is loading, etc? Like on the bottom of Chimera?

THE absolute BIGGEST no no is Tabs.

Until Safari has Tabs, I'm not going to even CONSIDER it. Tabbed browsing is the best thing since sliced bread. How the hell could they leave it out???

I just downloaded the Feb 7th Build of Chimera and feels as fast if not faster than Safari.

Regarding Flash qwirkiness, make sure you have the latest Flash plugin. It dramatically improves Flash all round. ALMOST feels like using flash on a PC.

Chimera dudes... chimera