3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

I'd expect a 3G iPhone's talk time to take a hit, but not a big one... I don't think Steve-o would allow it. And I wouldn't cry at all if the iPhone got a millimeter or two thicker to accomodate a higher-cap battery. If someone cries that a phone being .50" thick instead of .46" thick ruins their user experience, I will point and laugh at them, because that is just dumber than a sack of hammers.

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

1) These software issues should have address by now. I also include a voice recorder to that list of necessary iPhone apps.

2) I really want to know how much more power efficient they are and how they relate to the current EDGE chip but I'm sure we won't know until the iPhone comes to market.

3) As for size, I wish it would by a 1" thick iPhone if it meant charging once every few weeks. Think is great, but battery life is much important to me.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    Quote:

The 3G/HSDPA chipsets are also compatible with EDGE. If there's a 3G network where you are, it'll use it, but if EDGE is the fastest network where you are, it'll go with that. Yay!

A very GOOD thing too, 'cuz ATT's 3G coverage is STILL not all that great. But it's getting better.

Oh, and the story isn't really implying a lack of compatibility with EDGE, but rather a ramping down of production of the EDGE-only chipsets. Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping.

My iPhone is already accounted for once a 3G version appears. There are plenty of people that aren't heavy data users that want an iPhone buy don't want the high initial cost. And seeing as online testing and my personal tests have shown that the iPhone web browsing is about as fast as rendering pages it's not a bad choice for many, more casual users.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    If true, then the advent of a 3G iPhone is indeed great news.

I already own an 8Gb iPhone and I have to say I am absolutely delighted with it. It worked beautifully straight out of the box. I have had no problems with it at all. The pleasure I get from receiving emails on the go, watching You Tube videos, listening to songs via the on-board iPod, playing with the other stuff AND simply having a phone that WORKS FLAWLESSLY and SYNCS so RELIABLY with Microsoft Vista and Outlook has not diminshed with time.

Like so many other iPhone users, I am an Apple convert. I thought a lack of 3G would be a big deal. WiFi connectivity has made all the difference. But the most important thing is the user experience. need I say more.

In other words, the chances of me upgrading to a 3G iPhone are around 100%. The moral of this story has to be, when you make a good product and replace, if they're going to upgrade at all, they will nearly always upgrade to your next product. But when you make a bad product, they'll switch to something else as soon as they can.

Apple hit the ball out of the park with the first generation iPhone. God help the competition when the 3G model arrives. Not only will it be faster, but Apple will have improved the software and other important elements. RIM will be reamed! Nokia will be knakered!

And so the Apple Juggernaut continues like a twister out of nowhere wreaking havoc on other mobile phone makes. Go Apple! Go!
  • Reply 24 of 98
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My iPhone is already accounted for once a 3G version appears. There are plenty of people that aren't heavy data users that want an iPhone buy don't want the high initial cost. And seeing as online testing and my personal tests have shown that the iPhone web browsing is about as fast as rendering pages it's not a bad choice for many, more casual users.

Guess you missed my edit:

Quote:

Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping, or at best very limited production of a 'bottom feeder' EDGE-only iPhone that probably 90% of ppl will bypass.

An EDGE-only iPhone for say $299 once the 3G iPhone comes out wouldn't be bad (though how do you price it versus the iPod Touch, hmm? Seems like there'd have to be a Touch price drop too... probably a good thing considering the imminent US recession and slowing iPod sales).

I wouldn't expect an EDGE-only iPhone to sell great once the 3G model arrives, though. Remember how crappy the 4GB iPhone sold vs the 8GB? Ppl tend to not go for less capability, even when there are reasonable arguments as to why they should.

• Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:

1) These software issues should have [been] addressed by now. I also include a voice recorder to that list of necessary iPhone apps.

I quite agree. It's sort of amazing to me that Apple still hasn't addressed those issues.

Quote:

2) I really want to know how much more power efficient they are and how they relate to the current EDGE chip but I'm sure we won't know until the iPhone comes to market.

What you really want to know is, what's the batt life going to be on a 3G iPhone? And it's hard to say, because no one knows what wacky Steve 'Aesthetics Uber Alles' Jobs is going to do... what is he going to prize more, battery life, or making the thing one or two millimeters thinner? We don't know yet, though I have the sinking feeling that Steve is going to crow about how his new 3G iPhone is a whopping couple of hundredths of inch thinner than the competition, which would be a bad sign on the batt life front. \

Quote:

3) As for size, I wish it would by a 1" thick iPhone if it meant charging once every few weeks. Think is great, but battery life is much important to me.

I personally would not want a 1" thick iPhone, many ppl would see something like that as an undesirable brick, even though battery life would be through the roof (and aren't there extended batteries in the aftermarket anyway?).

But, as far as whether a 3G iPhone comes in at 0.46" or 0.50" or 0.55", I don't give a rat's ass. Anything close to a half-inch thick is quite slim. Look at the Blackjack II... it's only beefed up by .05" in thickness compared to the 'Jack I (0.51" vs 0.46"), yet that slight increase in thickness helped yield some room for a 40% higher capacity battery (1700 mAh vs the 'Jack I's 1200 mAh).

You certainly don't have to have a huge brick iPhone to get a good-sized/high-capacity battery in there. Samsung's done it, Apple certainly can too.

• Reply 26 of 98
    Quote:

Guess you missed my edit

I did not.

Quote:

An EDGE-only iPhone for say $299 once the 3G iPhone comes out wouldn't be bad (though how do you price it versus the iPod Touch, hmm?). I wouldn't expect it to sell great, though. Remember how crappy the 4GB iPhone sold vs the 8GB? Ppl tend to not go for less capability, even when there are reasonable arguments as to why they should.

That is something to ponder. I imagine they would make the EDGE version a Refurbished option only and at the same price of the iPod Touch or no more than $50 more. The majority of people who will by the EDGE version will probably use it on the approved networks that Apple is also getting kickbacks.

The 8GB and 16GB 3G versions would be the same price for the first couple months and then a lowered price by no more than $50?100 may occur, but only if Apple sees the long term benefit of adding users over weakening the exclusivity of the device. I think the device with HSDPA will be strong enough to sell double the units worldwide it's been selling as an EDGE device. That would be 8M units in the last 6 months of the year.

I also dont' think that 32GB capacity will be available for the iPhone until 2009 at which time the 8Gb model will only be available as a 3G Refurbished model, possibly pushing out the 2G Refurbished model.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Is that even a realistic expectation? You might get a full week with something that size, a few weeks? No.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    Quote:

I think the device with HSDPA will be strong enough to sell double the units worldwide it's been selling as an EDGE device. That would be 8M units in the last 6 months of the year.

I'm sure that 3G will improve iPhone sales quite significantly (especially in Europe), but "double" may be a tad optimistic.

Quote:

I also dont' think that 32GB capacity will be available for the iPhone until 2009 at which time the 8Gb model will only be available as a 3G Refurbished model, possibly pushing out the 2G Refurbished model.

That'd be too bad. There's something about a 3G 32GB iPhone that sounds ever so glorious for Holiday season '08.

Aren't flash mem prices falling? Hmm...

• Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this should be great for sales - all of the first gen owners will buy the new phone...

Quote:

Oh, and the story isn't really implying a lack of compatibility with EDGE, but rather a ramping down of production of the EDGE-only chipsets. Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping, or at best very limited production of a 'bottom feeder' EDGE-only iPhone that probably 90% of ppl will bypass.

So, I will NOT be upgrading to a 3G version just because its 3G. Here in KS, outside of the KC metro, there is no 3G. So, with the 3G phone, I'll still just get EDGE speeds. And to be honest, when I can't get WiFi, the EDGE has been good enough for things like Google Reader or most blogs.

I think if the EDGE phone was discounted $100 on the 3G model and they continued to sell it, I think it would do very well in KS (and much of the midwest). For us, it's a much better value without any loss in capability that we can use.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is that even a realistic expectation? You might get a full week with something that size, a few weeks? No.

Wouldn't that be a solid 10x the current battery capacity. Seems to be by looking at the pictures. If I can easily get 2 days of frequent usage out or it now then 20 days would be about 3 weeks. My assumption on the capacity could be off. Still, I would take a 1" iPhone if it was all battery. It is that important to me.

Quote:

I'm sure that 3G will improve iPhone sales quite significantly (especially in Europe), but "double" may be a tad optimistic.

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right? And all I ever hear is "if only there were a 3G version." Even in the US the perceived notion that having 3G iPhone will get you 3G service seems to be important to many. I don't think it's farfetched at all.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mh71 View Post

So, I will NOT be upgrading to a 3G version just because its 3G. Here in KS, outside of the KC metro, there is no 3G. So, with the 3G phone, I'll still just get EDGE speeds. And to be honest, when I can't get WiFi, the EDGE has been good enough for things like Google Reader or most blogs.

I think if the EDGE phone was discounted $100 on the 3G model and they continued to sell it, I think it would do very well in KS (and much of the midwest). For us, it's a much better value without any loss in capability that we can use.

I agree, if you don't have 3G coverage where you work and/or live, and just want the cheapest possible iPhone, wait for the 3G iPhone to come out and then grab an EDGE-only model... there should be some good deals out there.

Just bear in mind that, unless you're really out in the boondocks, someday you'll have 3G coverage. Of course, considering it's ATT, that 'someday' may be a-ways away.

• Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right? And all I ever hear is "if only there were a 3G version." Even in the US the perceived notion that having 3G iPhone will get you 3G service seems to be important to many. I don't think it's farfetched at all.

Short-term, yes, 3G means 'BEEG' sales boom. Like huge.

Medium- and long-term, after the big sales boom, 3G iPhone sales return to a baseline that is above what the 2.5G model had, but probably not 'double'... at least not in the US.

In Europe, double sales for a 3G model long-term is within the realm of possibility at least (though its a higher number than I'd pick) but I hesitate based on the fact that we still have no assurances about Apple fixing the other things the Euros have complained about, such as no MMS. \

• Reply 33 of 98
    Here is a iPhone w/EDGE vs. Nokia E61i w/UMTS. While this shows that data rates isn't the one factor to consider, it does show that bleating is mostly empty. Processor, RAM, OS, Browser and latency are all factors to consider. I also speculate that putting the phones so close together may have a negative affect on the Nokia since, I assume, UMTS is more sensitive to interference.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    I just got my iPhone a few days ago. Well happy with it. Good for apple for getting to 3G though. I think I'll wait though unless I have another influx of money
  • Reply 35 of 98
    mh71mh71 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Just bear in mind that, unless you're really out in the boondocks, someday you'll have 3G coverage. Of course, considering it's ATT, that 'someday' may be a-ways away.

Yaaah....

I'll start holding my breath now.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Quote:

In Europe, double sales for a 3G model long-term is within the realm of possibility at least (though its a higher number than I'd pick) but I hesitate based on the fact that we still have no assurances about Apple fixing the other things the Euros have complained about, such as no MMS.

If they don't fix it by the time a 3G version comes out I'll be shocked. This isn't the usual BS request we tend to here on these forums. It's a software option that Apple could easy implement. Photos are already downgraded for sending to email so resizing to fit MMS standards would not be hard.

I have been getting emails for MMS pics now that people know I can't receive them directly on my iPhone. The MMS messages I do get on my iPhone are repackaged by AT&T as SMS messages with a web address and computer generated username and password.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:

Here is a iPhone w/EDGE vs. Nokia E61i w/UMTS. While this shows that data rates isn't the one factor to consider, it does show that bleating is mostly empty. Processor, RAM, OS, Browser and latency are all factors to consider. I also speculate that putting the phones so close together may have a negative affect on the Nokia since, I assume, UMTS is more sensitive to interference.

Yah, the iPhone's better browser and faster cpu are a help in rendering web pages more quickly, but what ppl always forget when bringing that up is that an iPhone with 3G will positively fly on the 'net. Nice connection + Safari + beefy cpu= Wow.

Oh yeah, baby.

• Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:

Yah, the iPhone's better browser and faster cpu are a help in browsing speeds, but what ppl always forget when bringing that up is that an iPhone with 3G will positively fly on the 'net.

Oh yeah, baby.

If I were Jobs, I would showcase this feature?with Google, FaceBook and other iPhone freindly sites?when I announce its impending release.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Quote:

If I were Jobs, I would showcase this feature—with Google, FaceBook and other iPhone freindly sites—when I announce its impending release.

Yah, I think you could have some pretty nice Steve-lead demos like that with at the 3G iPhone Special Event.

Would make for some awesome commercials too... head-to-head matchups with other 3G smartphones would be embarrassing for the iPhone's competitors.... have both phones on screen simultaneously, two users type in the same URL, and watch the 3G iPhone just positively STOMP the competitor, since the equally fast connection now lets Safari and the iPhone cpu show what they can really do.

It would be quite a b*tchslap.

• Reply 40 of 98
    This is good news.

But I think a lot of early buyers like me will probably want to wait a few months for the $200 price drop, before plonking down the cash!