Jobs on "marathon" meetings, successors, and iPods saving Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by megazok View Post

I can't fathom why anyone would want an FM radio at all, let alone on a device that contains one's entire music collection. If you want a radio, go to Radioshack.

And why they don't give in to my demand that they build an electric razor into it is even more maddening.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

spoken as "an EFF EMM Radio" so an rather than "a EFF EMM radio"

an being used in front of vowel sounds and I'm an english speaker,

so don't none of yoos go conterrdcikting me!

Simple: use an a when the following letter is a Consonant. Use an an when the following letter is a Vowel.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Simple: use an a when the following letter is a Consonant. Use an an when the following letter is a Vowel.

Duude! Didn't yo read the previous posts? According to you it should be "a fm radio". The rule is neither that strict, nor simple. If it SOUNDS like a Vowel, use 'an'. It just rolls of the tongue that much better.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Duude! Didn't yo read the previous posts? According to you it should be "a fm radio". The rule is neither that strict, nor simple. If it SOUNDS like a Vowel, use 'an'. It just rolls of the tongue that much better.

Quite correct. Likewise, we say ?an honest attempt,? ?an honest person.?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Exactly, Fm is fossilized.

I'm so sick of these dorks who keep asking for an FM radio. Get over it already!

OK - thanks for the dork then.

Some questions though

a/ where do you discover/listen new music/stuff in the background. I guess last.fm but let me tell you that a nice Hot-AC (or any other) radio station can be a blessing

b/ what do you listen in the car - xm ?

c/ what would you do if you were lining in an area of the world -say Europe- where digital (sat) radios are either not existent or not accepted by the consumer ?

All this brave new world stuff is great. But sometimes it is actually nice to revert back one step.

I for once like to listen to the radio in the car as there is a nice mix between voice and music and they tell me how the traffic shapes up. And I do have a TMC reciever on my sat-nav as well.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Some questions though

a/ where do you discover/listen new music/stuff in the background. I guess last.fm but let me tell you that a nice Hot-AC (or any other) radio station can be a blessing

c/ what would you do if you were lining in an area of the world -say Europe- where digital (sat) radios are either not existent or not accepted by the consumer ?

All this brave new world stuff is great. But sometimes it is actually nice to revert back one step.

I for once like to listen to the radio in the car as there is a nice mix between voice and music and they tell me how the traffic shapes up. And I do have a TMC reciever on my sat-nav as well.

calling you a dork was a bit much, but your thinking is a bit backwards.

FM (and most radio) is dead, and i mean this in a cultural way. all you get is the same 20 songs repeated all day, pushed by the big record companies to make sales. would it be so hard to simply buy/download these top songs on to your ipod? (PS, i think digital satellite is also just a pimped out version of radio and will fall soon enough)

if you miss talk radio, try podcasts. usually they have better content and minimal or no commercials, done by people that love the music (or whatever subject they are broadcasting).

also, the frequency range of FM is not the same all over the world. i remember i had a japanese walkman (from when i lived there back in the 80s, thing was smaller than what we have nowadays for tape players), when i brought it back here, it only got the lower end of FM, plus a lot of TV channels. it would be better to use a third party FM receiver on your ipod. that way if you really want to listen to radio abroad, you can buy a third party FM receiver from which ever country you are in, if yours happens to not receive the proper frequency range.

As well, you can get better quality of music (i mean quality of sound) from music files, compared to FM.

as for listening to music in your car. i think FM is standard on all cars (at least in all the countries i lived in), so you won't miss out if your ipod doesn't have FM (at least while driving).
  • Reply 27 of 38
    megazokmegazok Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Some questions though

I don't listen to any type of radio.

I hear new music through friends, by watching movies and reading the Internet.

Hey, sorry about the dork comment, but I would rather listen to what I want than have it doled out to me. To each their own I guess.

I'm just tired of people complaining about this radio iPod thing.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peruchito View Post

calling you a dork was a bit much, but your thinking is a bit backwards.

FM (and most radio) is dead, and i mean this in a cultural way. all you get is the same 20 songs repeated all day, pushed by the big record companies to make sales. would it be so hard to simply buy/download these top songs on to your ipod?

as for listening to music in your car. i think FM is standard on all cars (at least in all the countries i lived in), so you won't miss out if your ipod doesn't have FM (at least while driving).

Ok so I am not a dork just backwards. Great. Just kidding. I can see why hit stations would fall into the braindead categories but over here we do have some Hot-AC stations on the public networks which after 7pm start playing some good stuff and not always the same. New Pop, Live Gigs etc. Still 'commercially' formatted but not just Hitradio. Is that for the iPod - nope ? But all music and no talk can make the kitchen a dull place too.

Quote:

I don't listen to any type of radio.

I hear new music through friends, by watching movies and reading the Internet.

The big media outfits still influence yu then through their channels. Movies ? Hmmm - Universal Pictures, Universal Music - there is a similarity in name. And Warner Bros/Music. Granted none of them is 100% subsidiary but still related. Oh yeah Sony Pictures and SonyBMG as well.

reading the internet and friends - Uh they get you just as good as on MySpace and YouTube.

Not all that glitters is gold

We all might live in a digital world - but some analogue signals should be kept in case we get attacked by Aliens

You can shut down a computer network and all digital communications. For analogue transmissions "all" you need is power and a transmitter/reciever. Think about it.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Or more rather an attempt at increasing their margins:

'You want an FM radio in your iPod? Just buy these special headphones with a built-in remote, and your iPod will have an FM radio built-in.'

(May I ask you native speakers about the correctness of 'an FM radio' vs. 'a FM radio?)

There are rules. (The Chicago Manual of Style or the online English Grammar site:http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/Determiners3.cfm

The correct pronunciation of the 'f' in FM is 'f', not evv or eff. As such it is 'a FM radio'

Follows the rule of an indefinite article before the word 'one' which is pronounced as 'won'. Thus the correct form is 'a one' just like the sauce or 'a one time sale'

Our problem today is that we bastardize the language, and allow common usage take over common sense. Just because we all jaywalk doesn't make it correct.

More important, everybody should read the Fortune magazine original article in its entirety.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Our problem today is that we bastardize the language, and allow common usage take over common sense. Just because we all jaywalk doesn't make it correct.

That's nothing new. That's been happening for the last millennia. There was a time when there wasn't anything resembling standardized spelling, but even now when spelling is very standardized, there are dialect differences. There are dialect differences in how the letters are pronounced too. I think the style manuals differ a little bit, which one you use seems to depend on your target reader, by region, by academics or profession and so on.

Quote:

The correct pronunciation of the 'f' in FM is 'f', not evv or eff. As such it is 'a FM radio'

That is not helpful, I have no idea how to pronounce that. I have no education with regards to how to pronounce consonants without using a vowel somewhere in the pronunciation. That makes sense because words without vowels don't seem to appear much in English, if at all other than very unusual circumstances.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

There are rules. (The Chicago Manual of Style or the online English Grammar site:http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/Determiners3.cfm

The correct pronunciation of the 'f' in FM is 'f', not evv or eff. As such it is 'a FM radio.

I'm really confused now, how exactly are you proposing to pronounce "FM radio" if you speak it out loud?? A "fumm" radio? A "fmuh" radio? A frequency modulation radio? Or an "effemm" radio?

The whole point of the rule is that it rolls off the tongue easier. In 99% of cases the rule is that it's "an" if followed by a vowel, but it ALL depends on how you pronounce the following word. Thus it's an hour, a unit, a euro, an yttrium atom, an FM radio, and either a hotel or an hotel depending on how posh you are.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

I'm really confused now, how exactly are you proposing to pronounce "FM radio" if you speak it out loud?? A "fumm" radio? A "fmuh" radio? A frequency modulation radio? Or an "effemm" radio?

The whole point of the rule is that it rolls off the tongue easier. In 99% of cases the rule is that it's "an" if followed by a vowel, but it ALL depends on how you pronounce the following word. Thus it's an hour, a unit, a euro, an yttrium atom, an FM radio, and either a hotel or an hotel depending on how posh you are.

FM is pronounced as it is written or as one would say their ABCs. It is an acronym and each letter is distinct.

It is a F M radio. Not a or an effmm radio.

Their are rules in grammar and enunciation. "The traditional rule about whether to use a or an before a word beginning with h is that if the h is sounded, a is the correct form ( : a hospital;: a hotel). But if the accent is on the second syllable ( : historic;: habitual), there is greater likelihood that, at least in speaking, 'an habitual' will sound more natural." Got Leopard? Check the dictionary.

More important, lets get back to the article.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    It's amazing how fast an article about the business practices of Apple can descend into an argument about grammar. If I hadn't realised that I was sat in front of my computer I would have sworn I was in the pub.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    So... that was a pretty good article on Jobs, eh???
  • Reply 35 of 38
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By this I mean such things as FM radio in the iPods, a serious effort at Newton 2, a serious run at a consumer grade expandable desktop Mac and other long running wants and needs. In some cases the exclusion of features seems like an attempt to simply irritate their customers.

Dave

Dave. Dave, Dave, Dave. What exactly are you expecting a "Newton 2" to do that an iPhone can't already do or that an iPhone is likely to do within the next 12 months. Just curious. Don't be mad, Dave, I'm just feeling mildy sarcastic/patronizing this morning. Don't hold it against me. It's not you, Dave. It's me. Really.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

FM is pronounced as it is written or as one would say their ABCs. It is an acronym and each letter is distinct.

It is a F M radio. Not a or an effmm radio.

More important, lets get back to the article.

No no, let's discuss grammar - much more interesting :-)

Exactly. You read it as two distinct letters, pronounced as you would say your ABC. Now read the following two sentences out loud and tell me which is correct!

"Think of a word that starts with an U and ends in a S."

"Think of a word that starts with a U and ends in an S."
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Maybe at certain keynote events or other highly visible media events, SJ should start sharing more of the 'spotlight' with more of these "capable people" to see who has charisma

An excellent idea... hopefully one Apple wants to try already. There's been Phil, and a year or so back they did have a young guy walking around like Steve Jobs for some of the announcements, but he wasn't steve jobs and it didn't quite fit - and I firmly believe that if you want to convey "I'm excited" then you have to use your own "excited" expression, not someone elses.

Part of the reason Steve can say "This is really great" is because he absolutely believes it. If he doesn't love it, it doesn't make it. Do his upper management share that? Do they each push for various products while Steve sits back and says "it doesn't do it for me" - or do they all listen to a product presentation with half of them saying "it doesn't do it for me". Where is the line drawn?

If they want to showcase their people on a certain product, I'd pick a person who is really critical of products generally but really loves this one (AND which has gone through the regular Apple/Steve quality control of course).
  • Reply 38 of 38
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Dave. What exactly are you expecting a "Newton 2" to do that an iPhone can't already do or that an iPhone is likely to do within the next 12 months. Just curious.

Well I'm not Dave, but I'd like a larger iPod Touch and pen input (if it works!!). And the notepad of my scribble better sync back to my email Notes!!!! (in fact, I don't mind if it doesn't convert the pen input till it syncs back at home)

When I'm seeing a client I like to draw links (like a mind map) between concepts they're talking about. Then when I hypnotise them I glance at my notes and explore those links. Pages on my MBP does it pretty well (better than Word) but it takes longer than doing it by hand.

I could get a windows tablet PC but it's overkill. I don't want a desktop OS on my tablet either. And I like listening to music, watching movies occasionally... plus getting email and browsing the web.

So a bigger iPod Touch with Pen Input sounds good to me. Aka Newton 2 (in my opinion).

That's just me though