Need Help - Leopard constantly freezing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

This is my first time posting for help. I usually hang around the boards reading the posts but this time I can't find anything online to help me with my problems. First of all, Leopard has been booting really slow. I sometimes get an error that there is a corrupted font in Adobe/G... directory that is corrupted. I have removed that font to no avail so I removed the entire Adobe directory. I now notice that mail.app along with adium show some text such as the header titles in mail.app and the user name in a chat window in adium in some other language. All my international settings are to show just English so I am not sure where the setting is to turn that off. I am sad to say that I dread booting into Mac OS on my fairly new MacBook Pro and am making this post from Windows XP. Please help me get my system running smoothly again. Oh, and the lag and slow boot ups are still an issue. Also, when I open Firefox and try to Apple+Q, the system seems to hang. Trying to right click on the Dock icon to force quit doesn't work either. It seems to happen at random with other apps too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    deimosdeimos Posts: 11member
    An update on my issue: I called Apple Tech Support and the rep suggested that I archive and install Leopard, basically it saves all my apps and settings and migrates them over to a fresh install of Leopard. He then went ahead to suggest that I stay away from Apple's latest update for Leopard, 10.5.2, which many users have reported having issues with ranging from graphical glitches here and there to more serious issues. Do you guys think that the latest patch was the cause for my issues? Should I stay away from 10.5.2 and just stick with 10.5.1 and wait for 10.5.3 to come out?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

An update on my issue: I called Apple Tech Support and the rep suggested that I archive and install Leopard, basically it saves all my apps and settings and migrates them over to a fresh install of Leopard. He then went ahead to suggest that I stay away from Apple's latest update for Leopard, 10.5.2, which many users have reported having issues with ranging from graphical glitches here and there to more serious issues. Do you guys think that the latest patch was the cause for my issues? Should I stay away from 10.5.2 and just stick with 10.5.1 and wait for 10.5.3 to come out?

I'm using 10.5.2 with no issues.

Bit I did an archive and install when I moved to Leopard from Tiger.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I bought this laptop this past January and did a clean install to Leopard so I know it's not an issue with settings lingering around from Tiger. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold off on updating the system. I haven't even installed 10.5.1 yet... Thoughts?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

I bought this laptop this past January and did a clean install to Leopard so I know it's not an issue with settings lingering around from Tiger. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold off on updating the system. I haven't even installed 10.5.1 yet... Thoughts?

I don't think you'll be able to go to 10.5.1 as .2 now has replaced it.

I would go to .2 and see how it goes.

You've repaired permissions?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Sounds like you've a corrupted font somewhere.

Launch Font Book (in Applications)

Select all the fonts

File-> Validate Fonts.

It'll take a while but find any corrupt fonts.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I downloaded 10.5.1 from Apple's site so I can update to .1 if needed. I was getting the corrupted font error, so it could have been that. I was not aware of the Font Book app. I will keep that in mind if I run into the issue again. The above issue was resolved with a archinve and install of Leopard.

Permissions check did run through fine, so there were no errors there.

Thanks for the feedback!!