Apple's iPhone 2.0 firmware to bring contact search?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Uh.. here's an idea.. don't make phone calls while you're driving! Idiots. Whether it's safer to have voice dialing than having to take your eyes off the road, you shouldn't be doing either. In the past month I've almost been run over in crosswalks which I had the green light twice by idiots with blue tooth headsets in their ears. Drive or make a phone call, don't do both. Likewise, when I'm driving the number of idiots I get behind driving 2mph or getting confused at urban intersections because they're trying to talk on a phone while driving through a dense, pedestrian heavy urban area is ridiculous. Pull over to make your calls. My god.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Voice dialing is especially important for the iPhone because there is no-way to feel the numbers with your fingers when driving, so you must take your eyes off the road, look at your screen and touch the numbers.

I hope this is sarcasm.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    This has been a deal breaker for me. I had to go back to my Treo 755p Having someone email or text me a number(s) and not being able to copy them and paste them is really a pain. Same for long URL's
  • Reply 24 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

I hope this is sarcasm.

I'm pretty sure it's not. There has been a lot of discussion about this when the iPhone was first released. There are people that dial when they drive, and they use the tactile feel of buttons or voice dialing to initiate their calls. Personally, I don't need the feature, I'd rather people not use the phone on the road, but I'd much rather people have it than take their eyes off the road to dial.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I rememeber a while back or something when Steve was talkin' about the iPhone. The only thing that never been out to is the iPhone with the "shift" on the keyboard. It was in blue color instead of glowing. That will be very USEFUL if this is ever released. Did anyone noticed that? I can't remember if it was in Macworld 2008 (not 2007 with the introduction of the iPhone).... thanks!
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    The Shift key is blue when you double-tap it. That is how you turn on Caps Lock. I don't know if it was there from the start or not.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

4) Flash

Won't be on iPhone unless they can figure out how to take iPhone multi-touch events and turn them into reasonable Flash events that flash content can interact with. That would be a very complicated port to implement on the Cocoa Touch interface platform.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Cool, although that icon seems too small to be clickable, but I guess it will be changed.

So now all we need are:

1- Voice Dialing, for calling while driving.

2- Voice Recording, for taking audio notes on the go.

Nice sig.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jason94102 View Post

Uh.. here's an idea.. don't make phone calls while you're driving! Idiots. Whether it's safer to have voice dialing than having to take your eyes off the road, you shouldn't be doing either. In the past month I've almost been run over in crosswalks which I had the green light twice by idiots with blue tooth headsets in their ears. Drive or make a phone call, don't do both. Likewise, when I'm driving the number of idiots I get behind driving 2mph or getting confused at urban intersections because they're trying to talk on a phone while driving through a dense, pedestrian heavy urban area is ridiculous. Pull over to make your calls. My god.

This is true. Just being distracted while driving is enough to cause collisions and there is almost no difference between having a Bluetooth headset and physically using the phone. Our brains can't handle complex information from two sources at once (phone + driving). Frankly, all phone use while driving should be illegal.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

(Flash) Won't be on iPhone unless they can figure out how to take iPhone multi-touch events and turn them into reasonable Flash events that flash content can interact with. That would be a very complicated port to implement on the Cocoa Touch interface platform.

Yes, it'd be complicated..

I was very interested in Steve's comments about Flash support. He didn't say "we won't support flash" or that it's not coming - just that the full fledged flash player was too big and the mobile one inadequate...

I had to wonder if Apple had a different plan for flash support. eg: it's own flash player?