New iPod user - BIG problem importing CDs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there any solution to the problem of importing CDs into iTunes? I am running an XP PC with a 48X drive and it takes f o r e v e r to import tracks from my CDs. It seems to get to about 85% of each track, and then totally hangs, making viewing the iTunes impossible. What gives? I've got 300 or so CDs to go, and at this rate, I'll be at it for a week! Also, when transferring MP3's, it seemed to only do 5 at a time max. Is there any way to do more than that?

Frustrated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Is there any solution to the problem of importing CDs into iTunes? I am running an XP PC with a 48X drive and it takes f o r e v e r to import tracks from my CDs. It seems to get to about 85% of each track, and then totally hangs, making viewing the iTunes impossible. What gives? I've got 300 or so CDs to go, and at this rate, I'll be at it for a week! Also, when transferring MP3's, it seemed to only do 5 at a time max. Is there any way to do more than that?

Frustrated

I think my problem was that I was encoding in AIFF. I wanted the best sound Q but realize size will be a problem with the number of CDs I want to put on a 20 GB iPod, so I switched to AAC, 192 kbps VBR. My new question is that I deleted the CDs that I imported using AIFF to regain drive space. When I re-sync my iPod (after re-incoding those CDs in AAC), I assume the space will be recovered?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

I think my problem was that I was encoding in AIFF. I wanted the best sound Q but realize size will be a problem with the number of CDs I want to put on a 20 GB iPod, so I switched to AAC, 192 kbps VBR. My new question is that I deleted the CDs that I imported using AIFF to regain drive space. When I re-sync my iPod (after re-incoding those CDs in AAC), I assume the space will be recovered?

if iTunes detects an updated version of a track, it will replace it on the iPod, so yes, you will regain the space. 192Kbps VBR AAC is an excellent choice!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I think my problem was that I was encoding in AIFF. ...

You won't notice the difference between AAC 192 and AIFF unless you are in a quiet room with studio monitors and also happen to have extremely good hearing.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

You won't notice the difference between AAC 192 and AIFF unless you are in a quiet room with studio monitors and also happen to have extremely good hearing.

And the tracks are being constantly switched back and forth.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

if iTunes detects an updated version of a track, it will replace it on the iPod, so yes, you will regain the space. 192Kbps VBR AAC is an excellent choice!

Cool, thanks! Seems to sound pretty good @192kbps. Soundstage isn't as deep or wide as my CDs, but the portability is great. I love being to bring all my CDs to work in an iPod instead of four shopping bags! I know I'm late to the whole iPod experience, but am excited just the same.