we get screwed again!!! (iTouch)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

Does anyone know if Apple will be giving the 2.0 upgrade free to people who buy an iPod Touch now? I would expect them to start this policy sometime to prevent people from waiting.

Doubtful. Who really knows about v2.0 anyway? A few people on mac boards...not enough to really change buying habits, I bet.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    we have to pay every month to use our iphone, thats like 80 bucks. If you guys don't want to update thats fine, you get to use basically everything we do except for phone and text for free
  • Reply 23 of 27
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Question....

You have to pay for the update if you ALREADY own an ipod touch....but if you buy a new ipod touch you don't right?

Or do even people who buy it now have to pay for the upgrade separately too?

• Reply 24 of 27
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    After v2.0 is released, it will be available on touches. If a touch doesn't ship with v2.0, the upgrade will have to be paid for. That's how I understand it.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

After v2.0 is released, it will be available on touches. If a touch doesn't ship with v2.0, the upgrade will have to be paid for. That's how I understand it.

What they should do it charge a one off fee ($20) for older touches, but then account for that fee over 2 years (like they do with the iphone,apple tv)

Then what people are paying for is ongoing software updates..

That would be fairer..?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Doubtful. Who really knows about v2.0 anyway? A few people on mac boards...not enough to really change buying habits, I bet.

I tried to download version 2.0 to my iTouch and there was a repeated error after 3 or 4 attempts. I couldn't buy it, and I would really like to add the sticky note feature! Anyone else try to download and get an error?

My mistake, I guess I wasn't downloading v2.0 but some other update for the iTouch that was also a $20.00 upgrade. It didn't work successfully. If I don't download that upgrade, and when v2.0 is released, can I just download the 2.0 and only pay one 20.00 fee?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

ok so then what subscription service are they attatched to?

It's nothing to do with a subscription service.

When you buy an iPhone - Apple does not recognize the $399 on that day. Instead it sees a revenue stream of 22 dollars per month for the next 18 months. For that period, Apple is then free (in law) to update and add value to support its "subscribers".

Same thing with AppleTV

Not the same with iPods. All the revenue is recognized on day one. Customers are entitled to bug-fixes for free, but not upgrades. Not unless you pay a "reasonable" amount.

Is this fair for iPod touch owners?

Well kinda. Your iPod touch was probably cheaper as a result of iPhone development. And if Apple chose to use the subscription mechanism for the iPod Touch - it would probably have to charge you more at retail to compensate.

C.