What do we do with our old memory?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,

I recently upgraded my old MacBook from 2x512MB sticks to 2x1GB. I was planning on getting a little bit of cash for the old sticks on eBay, but I watched some other people try to sell the same in vain.

A few years ago, 1GB of RAM would cost more than £1000, let alone $1000. Now people are trying to sell them for 99p and getting nowhere. Nobody wants them because the only people who could really use them are MacBook owners with 2x256MB - and that amounts to pretty much zero people.

So what of all this old RAM?

Personally I'll probably go the Freecycle route, but that will probably be picked up (as per usual) by someone at home on email surrounded in junk they will never use. Are there any websites for giving RAM to children's hospitals, laptops for the third world or similar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my old MacBook from 2x512MB sticks to 2x1GB. I was planning on getting a little bit of cash for the old sticks on eBay, but I watched some other people try to sell the same in vain.

A few years ago, 1GB of RAM would cost more than £1000, let alone $1000. Now people are trying to sell them for 99p and getting nowhere. Nobody wants them because the only people who could really use them are MacBook owners with 2x256MB - and that amounts to pretty much zero people.

So what of all this old RAM?

Personally I'll probably go the Freecycle route, but that will probably be picked up (as per usual) by someone at home on email surrounded in junk they will never use. Are there any websites for giving RAM to children's hospitals, laptops for the third world or similar?

OWC used to give a rebate or refund or trade-in on old memory. Does anyone know if they still do?

I just e-mailed OWC and asked about it's trade-in policy. I'll post the answer, if I get one.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    OWC offers rebates on memory!

A rebate from OWC on your old memory module helps make upgrading to higher capacity chips even easier! From the date of purchase of a qualifying new memory module from OWC, we allow 60 days for you to return your old memory for a cash rebate! Once you've received and are satisfied with your new memory, just fill out our online rebate form or contact OWC Customer Service by phone Monday - Friday between 8:30AM and 8PM for a rebate RMA.

Please allow up to 14 Days from the time we receive your memory for testing and rebate processing. Your memory must be functioning correctly to qualify. Upon successful testing, a rebate check for the qualifying amount will be mailed to the billing address used on your new memory module purchase. It's that easy!

When you upgrade your memory from Other World Computing, a rebate for up to the same number of memory modules purchased is available for the return of your old module or modules! Module(s) must be in working order.