Ideas for Future Macs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

Okay. Let's actually think about this. Who ever said it was going to be a laptop? Did I? I don't think so.

I had more of an iMac-type computer in mind.

And another thing: what if someone wants to use the touchscreen while the mouse is connected? Well, they certainly aren't going to want to disconnect their mouse, use the touchscreen, and then plug the mouse back in, are they? It's much less time-consuming if there's a switch.

P.S. Before you start writing angry posts, why don't you think first?

P.P.S. If I had been talking about a laptop, you would have had a good point. Guess what? In the original post, I even went so far as to say it looked like a thin iMac. Why did you even go off on this "Why should it have more desktop features than a Mac-Book Air?" tangent? I was talking about a desktop, not a laptop!

P.P.P.S. It's "MacBook Air", not "Mac-Book Air". Look it up. "MBA" is a good abbreviation, though. So's "MBP".

And why would Apple have this in addition to an iMac? Why not add the touch screen to the iMac? Just to get it thinner?

As for the switch, you don't need it. They can work at the same time. The screen and the mouse can issue interrupts just like the mouse and trackpad (if you configure it that way) or two mice. No need for a switch.

I did miss your saying that it was a desktop. I'm sorry for that, but IMO touch technology just doesn't make sense in a desktop, at least not for the big screen. It's just too awkward if the screen is in front of you, rather than in your hand. It makes more sense in a tablet, so I (wrongly) assumed that was what you were talking about. Again, I apologize for this.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Sorry. I was way too harsh , and you did have quite a few good points. After reading your re-response, I realized the switch really is totally unnecessary. And, well, why not just change the iMac? That was another good point.

Of course, there are some people who like having separate computers for everything. Apple could call this the iMac Touch, as well as include a touchscreen option for the standard iMac.

Or maybe it wouldn't even be an iMac? It could be a wall computer, like the Sony Vaio PC/TV. Possibly even with a TV option. And a revamped OS. I'm thinking Star Trek here.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    I have an idea. Instead of the MacBook Nano we discussed earlier (iPhone-like), it should be a miniature laptop. It'll have all the regular features (you know ? trackpad, keyboard, speakers) but "micro" versions of the various ports. One micro-USB, one micro-FireWire, and one micro-Ethernet. Also a card reader. And built-in AirPort capabilities.

I'm thinking it could be used in schools. With the somewhat diminished features, it should be cheaper than standard MacBooks. Then you wouldn't have to worry about students spilling their drinks over them.

This MacBook Nano should also have a small hard drive. Made of flash memory, not spinning platters (too bulky). There's lot's of tiny, cheap, enormously high-capacity flash drives out there. Room for essential applications and student files (and the OS of course), but not much else.

Why the micro ports? Because it'll probably be too thin to have normal ones.

What do you think? Should there be one, or should schools just stick to antiquated PowerBooks and iBook G4's?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    You know, it's kind of unusual for a site called "AppleInsider" to show ads for PCs and Windows. Then again, maybe it just happens automatically. Anyone know how the ads get here?
  • Reply 65 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla

My estimates put this at around 10.5", twice as big as the rumored "Newton"

Sounds like a great, perhaps perfect size to me. All we need is a slightly curved/tapered rear shape, and a pop out stand/rest and we have the Mac touch. A dock could run across the bottom of the screen with iPhone sizes app icons and mirror the dock on the desktop version of OS X - the users could flick right or left for more docks, up to 5 of them. With a desktop image preset, for a desktop look and a finger sized menubar up top.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sounds like a great, perhaps perfect size to me. All we need is a slightly curved/tapered rear shape, and a pop out stand/rest and we have the Mac touch. A dock could run across the bottom of the screen with iPhone sizes app icons and mirror the dock on the desktop version of OS X - the users could flick right or left for more docks, up to 5 of them. With a desktop image preset, for a desktop look and a finger sized menubar up top.

Yes... One useful item in which Apple's portable products are sadly lacking is a stand. There are plenty of third-party iPhone stands out there...but it would be so much easier to have one built-in.

The MacBook Nano is a good idea, but probably not entirely viable at this time. It would only be a much larger version of the iPhone, albeit with a more OS X-ish feel.

But why a limit of five docks? And what about the ports? I can understand if this is meant to be a portable computer (not for tasks you might want to do at home), but most people want a keyboard, mouse, printer, and (sometimes) an external hard drive. That's a lot of ports to put in something that thin.

Also... The picture shows the MacBook Nano with an optical drive. If this is meant to be a portable computer, using any sort of disk is going to drain the batteries awfully fast. Perhaps a wireless, battery-powered drive is a better option?

Then there's the hard drive. Spinning platters aren't feasible for a computer you're going to carry around all day long (too many bumps to jar the heads). Solid-state or flash memory drives are probably the best for this, but they're seriously expensive. The MacBook Nano is not going to gain a large following by costing upwards of $2,000.

P.S. I believe I may already have outlined some of these points in my post at the top of this page.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Add me to the list of people wanting a midrange tower. I finish grad school this June and won't have a need for a notebook anymore, but I don't want an iMac and I want to be able to swap PCI cards without having to spend $2500 on a Mac Pro that would be total overkill.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

Yes... One useful item in which Apple's portable products are sadly lacking is a stand. There are plenty of third-party iPhone stands out there...but it would be so much easier to have one built-in.

The MacBook Nano is a good idea, but probably not entirely viable at this time. It would only be a much larger version of the iPhone, albeit with a more OS X-ish feel.

{{message snipped}}

Also... The picture shows the MacBook Nano with an optical drive. If this is meant to be a portable computer, using any sort of disk is going to drain the batteries awfully fast. Perhaps a wireless, battery-powered drive is a better option?

Then there's the hard drive. Spinning platters aren't feasible for a computer you're going to carry around all day long (too many bumps to jar the heads). Solid-state or flash memory drives are probably the best for this, but they're seriously expensive. The MacBook Nano is not going to gain a large following by costing upwards of $2,000.

P.S. I believe I may already have outlined some of these points in my post at the top of this page.

A MacBook Nano would ostensibly be a "book" - i.e. notebook form factor instead of slate form factor.

Here's my idea for the smallest of all Apple MacBooks - the MacBook Touch:

It would be 12" by 8" - slate form factor with a dual-sided multitouch screen cover that opened up into notebook form factor will a full-size (11") virtual keyboard and trackpad. 13" screen diagonal.

Here's a size comparison:

As you can see, it would be surprisingly portable - nowhere near pocketable, of course, but small enough for anything that you couldn't use your iPhone or iPod Touch for.

Click on the images to see more mockups.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    The MacBook Touch ? very, very interesting. I think this is what Apple should devote themselves to after they finish fixing Leopard. It should also serve to get more customers onto Apple's side and away from PCs.