Dutch, Mexican iPhone rumors; Cirrus audio in iPods; more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

The first day of the competition was reserved for network vector attacks; the kind that would test the Leopard firewall. None of the systems got hacked on the first day.

The rules were more relaxed for the 2nd day, with potential hackers able to send emails to the systems which the system "operators" would open. Also they're allowed to instruct the operators to visit web sites the hackers created to potentially exploit vulnerabilities.

This is how Mac OS X fell down. We don't know how exactly, but the hacker was able to design some code which when attached to a web site, punched a hole through Safari and gave him access to the machine. Probably just the users own account, but then that's where all the juicy stuff is anyway.

To be honest I'm a bit shocked. I would have thought Safari would be more robust than that.

To me what's more shocking is that Vista held on its own on that day. I guess Vista isn't as crappy as many others have said. Well at least in regards to security. A bit of a role reversal here for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

To me what's more shocking is that Vista held on its own on that day. I guess Vista isn't as crappy as many others have said. Well at least in regards to security. A bit of a role reversal here for Apple.

What you mean? Vista didn manage to get hacked that day?

By the way, I did some search about hacking OS X and people say it usually happen when you install 3rd party device, the guy show a video of how he managed to hack OS X, but again thats cause they managed to hack it thru 3rd party device.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sredlums View Post

To be exact, they didn't say it would be easier to place calls (in general), but easier to call them (specific).

You'll understand that when you see what they DO introduce next saturday ;-)

Seems that you know more about this...?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Wonder if that's due to Vista requiring a password for every activity. I wonder if the Air's user was running with an admin account, or if it would have made any difference had they been using a regular user-level account.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Wonder if that's due to Vista requiring a password for every activity. I wonder if the Air's user was running with an admin account, or if it would have made any difference had they been using a regular user-level account.

As TippingPoint specifically stated that every OS would be in its default configuration, meaning like a casual user without additional knowledge would run Vista, Ubuntu and Mac OS X, I suppose it is safe to claim that ?Vista isn?t as crappy as people say?. Its not bad at all, a little too much of a resource-hog, and there are a couple of inconsistencies, overall it is a neat OS, requiring a few tweaks and at least one more service pack. And regardless of what you think, the driver-problems aren?t Microsoft?s fault, there have been pre-release editions for more than a year (I tested the beta versions and I am not even a developer).

I personally loathe such arrogance, Mac OS X isn?t particularily safer than other operating systems. Especially since Leopard (slowly getting production-safe with 10.5.2), Mac OS X is neither rock-solid nor indestructible, however, it is the OS of my choice for quite some time due to its workflow (you gotta love Exposé), absence of clutter, intuitivity ? and I got used to it. As for all OS there is one important thing: Brain?s not included ? wheter it may be Vista or Mac OS X: Doing stupid things will result in serious damage, rather earlier than later.

I advocate an unbiased view on operating systems, Microsoft and Apple aren?t too much different in the end. No product is perfect, some are more suited to the individual user, some offer more open environments at the expense of usability (with Ubuntu gaining momentum this should change in the next few years).

After all, it might sound like I am a disgruntled Apple-user but in fact, I am a happy customer of Apple products, not always d?accord with their decisions and willing to voice criticism if the views of a shareholder perspective are valued more than the wishes of a consumer.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    yep :-)

But I don't want to say more then this, because I don't want to get 'my informant' (a much to heavy term for this situation, but you catch my drift) in trouble.

And I don't want to spoil the fun.

I'll explain tomorrow after the shop opens.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcgnu View Post

C. It is perfectly logical that the iPhone will arrive to Mexico soon. Carlos Slim (the second wealthiest man on Earth, above Bill Gates now) owns a pretty big share of Apple, Inc. Don't know the actual number but it's around 9-14% of Apple shares.

I'll buy my iPhone in June...

world's richest people in case anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/03/...llie_land.html
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Wow, I still can't believe that Canada which usually gets the latest Apple gadgets right away still does not have the iPhone, maybe the infrastructure is not up to par to Apple's likings.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Yay!I really want the iPhone and I have a rich uncle there and he has Tecel so he could buy it for me
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Well, the dutch news wasn't an iPhone. It was some kind of mouse-pad

The innovators were kinda surprised with all the publicity they got.