Why is Mac better than Windows?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been getting pretty sick of my Windows machine and I'm thinking of getting a Mac. Why do you guys think Mac is better than Windows? It might help me make my decision.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnny123 View Post


    I've been getting pretty sick of my Windows machine and I'm thinking of getting a Mac. Why do you guys think Mac is better than Windows? It might help me make my decision.



    I left "getting pretty sick of my Windows machine" in September 2005. My only "regret" is in not having made the switch sooner . Purchased my PPC iBook that September and followed that with a 24-inch iMac the following September, and have been thrilled with both ever since. My Macs, Genie (iBook) and Maggie (iMac) are simply beautiful and, more importantly, simply work. I still have my old XP PC for when the grandkids visit and want to play their games . Best of luck with your decision and I'm looking forward to reading your reasons why Mac is better than Windows !
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ksecksec Posts: 1,568member
    Well, I think OSX is better and differ in many small ways. But all these add up.

    Comparing to Microsoft they give you all these options, you may tweak, and tune your settings which actually takes up a lot of your time.

    OSX give you less options but it works. And you dont spend so much time fiddling with things. It is simple and elegant.

    Look at Windows Vista 's Control Panel for example compare to OSX 's.

    I haven't try Leopard yet. I didn't use my PC as main machine ever since the launch of Vista. Although i recently switched back to test Vista SP1 and I think SP1 has improved a lot. And it is stable enough now for daily use.



    There are currently a few things that stop people from switching.

    No good Bittorrent program for Mac. You are stuck with Transmission or Azureus. Although utorrent for Mac may be coming soon.

    No edonkey Client.

    MSN on Mac = very basic. Even with Adium you are still stucking with many missing featues. Although Microsoft promoise a much better version coming out soon.

    Games - If you are a Hard Core PC Gamer then ..........



    Other then that... Mac is great !
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    No good Bittorrent program for Mac. You are stuck with Transmission or Azureus.



    Some people think Transmission is pretty good...

    Quote:

    No edonkey Client.



    That's false. There are more than a few. I use aMule and it works pretty well.

    Quote:

    MSN on Mac = very basic. Even with Adium you are still stucking with many missing featues. Although Microsoft promoise a much better version coming out soon.



    For video I use aMSN. Yes it's far from perfect, but it works well when what I want to do is chat with video.

    Quote:

    Games - If you are a Hard Core PC Gamer then ..........



    True, but then, I'm not...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    No edonkey Client.



    Well, there goes Apple's plans for global dominance.



  • Reply 6 of 10
    I've been using OS X since the day it came out of beta. I had it installed on a G3 Powerbook. Then an iMac G5, now a Macbook Air. It has NEVER crashed. The same thing can NOT be said of my XP experiences. Vista, however, hasn't yet crashed, but I don't use it that much.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post


    I've been using OS X since the day it came out of beta. I had it installed on a G3 Powerbook. Then an iMac G5, now a Macbook Air. It has NEVER crashed. The same thing can NOT be said of my XP experiences. Vista, however, hasn't yet crashed, but I don't use it that much.



    Even 10.0?



    As for me, OSX does the little things better than WIndows, but it's not perfect either.



    I've ran Windows for over 10 years (relative computer noob), but I've never had the myriad of PC problems that people seemed to have experienced. I think you have to be quite computer illiterate, in order to get a virus or even most malware - you have to have a little common sense when you're online. Drivers have been a problem either, but I've usually built my own PCs too.



    Even since Windows 2000, BSODs have been a relative thing of the past. My work PC runs Vista SP1, home PC is a Mac Mini - if either one disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't be totally heartbroken, as the more I use them, the more they are alike, and they both have problems from time to time.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post


    I think you have to be quite computer illiterate, in order to get a virus or even most malware - you have to have a little common sense when you're online. .



    I agree with much you've said but I disagree with this.



    Recently malware was spread by digital picture frames. Quite a few, one million or so, made in China were sold in this country new that were infected. These were sold at reputable stores like Best Buy.



    Constant vigilance is required to keep a pc 'disease' free IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ksecksec Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

    That's false. There are more than a few. I use aMule and it works pretty well.



    Really? Please find me one apart from aMule. And amule... is usable. I hope 2.2 will improve... but so far no news on it yet.



    Quote:

    For video I use aMSN. Yes it's far from perfect, but it works well when what I want to do is chat with video.



    I never knew aMSN support Video. I may check that out soon
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post


    As for me, OSX does the little things better than WIndows, but it's not perfect either.



    I've ran Windows for over 10 years (relative computer noob), but I've never had the myriad of PC problems that people seemed to have experienced. I think you have to be quite computer illiterate, in order to get a virus or even most malware - you have to have a little common sense when you're online. Drivers have been a problem either, but I've usually built my own PCs too.



    Even since Windows 2000, BSODs have been a relative thing of the past. My work PC runs Vista SP1, home PC is a Mac Mini - if either one disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't be totally heartbroken, as the more I use them, the more they are alike, and they both have problems from time to time.



    I'd have to agree with most of what you said here (sans the malware statement). I may prefer OSX but I don't have the kind of overwhelmingly negative sentiments so many Mac people seem to have towards Windows and really wouldn't have a problem switching back if there were an incentive to do so (features, performance, etc...). I've had several kernel panics in the two years I've owned Macs, both in Tiger and Leopard, but I haven't had a Windows crash or BSOD for a very long time (I think it's been since WIn98) Never had a crash on 2000 or XP.



    I'll add that the reason may be because I built my own Windows machines. Since I knew what was going into the machine, I could ensure hardware stability. If you're buying crappy hardware that was thrown together or buying from a manufacturer that simply doesn't care, I could see hardware issues creating an unstable machine and causing more problems - but that's more a hardware issue and not a failure of Windows.
Sign In or Register to comment.