May I change the icon for the docked Applications Folder?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have seen this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=80449

...and I *somewhat* deduce I cannot change the folder icon?

In Finder, I see the folder listed with the usual "folder" icon. When a shortcut is made on the Finder sidebar, it appears with a more apt-looking A icon.

Dragged to the dock, it appears as a golden binder with an @ sign, irritatingly similar to the "address book". Is there a way in which I may change the icon for the docked Application Folder to the A?

(Obviously, not an urgent question...just cosmetic and nitpicky. I'm enjoying my new MBP.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    right click on the icon in the dock and then select "Display as Folder"... right now it's just showing the first icon of the stuff in that stack (which happens, alphabetically, to be Address Book.) Now it will display whatever icon you have chosen for the Applications folder.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

right click on the icon in the dock and then select "Display as Folder"... right now it's just showing the first icon of the stuff in that stack (which happens, alphabetically, to be Address Book.) Now it will display whatever icon you have chosen for the Applications folder.

Now, I have the FOLDER icon showing the A, but (yes, wasting your time...nitpickety me...) is there a way to get the nifty A alone, without the surrounding folder, analagous to the way it appears in the sidebar of Finder?

P.S. THANK YOU for the info about the reason for its appearance! I'm slowly learning all this!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

... is there a way to get the nifty A alone, without the surrounding folder, ...!

You can use any picture you want as the icon ... just find what you want and paste it into the icon place within that folder/file's "Get Info" pane.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can use any picture you want as the icon ... just find what you want and paste it into the icon place within that folder/file's "Get Info" pane.

...and through much research online, I finally fingered out how to use a Photoshop template to create an icon - I couldn't find the Apps icon (.icns file) lying around on the Mac!