the new iMacs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple just released their new iMacs with speed boosts - seem impressive. The iMac family now tops out at about $2700 for a system with a 3.06 GHz chip, 4 GB of memory, a 1 TB hard drive and an Nvidia 8800 GS graphics card.

I have been waiting to buy a new iMac but wonder if it is worth the wait later this year for Intel's ?Montevina? processor technology instead of buying today's new iMac with the "Penryn" processor.

Can anyone speculate whether this new "special built for iMac" 3.06 GHz chip (Penryn) is going to have any disadvantages over an Intel Montevina CPU?

Much thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brotherduke View Post

Apple just released their new iMacs with speed boosts - seem impressive. The iMac family now tops out at about $2700 for a system with a 3.06 GHz chip, 4 GB of memory, a 1 TB hard drive and an Nvidia 8800 GS graphics card.

I have been waiting to buy a new iMac but wonder if it is worth the wait later this year for Intel's “Montevina” processor technology instead of buying today's new iMac with the "Penryn" processor.

Can anyone speculate whether this new "special built for iMac" 3.06 GHz chip (Penryn) is going to have any disadvantages over an Intel Montevina CPU?

Much thanks for your thoughts

Let's clarify a few things:

Montevina is the codename for a motherboard chipset; it is going to replace "Santa Rosa". When it comes out, Penryn CPUs will be upgraded, but they will still be Penryn CPUs, so they're Montevina Penryns, if you like.

I've been saying in a couple of other threads, I don't care what Intel are saying, these iMacs look like they're based on Montevina and its upgraded Penryn.

What are the main benefits of Montevina?
    • 800 MHz RAM bus.

• CPUs with 1066 MHz FSB.

• CPUs clocked up to 3.06 GHz.

These iMacs have that right now, whether this is authentic Montevina or not. I struggle to see any benefits of waiting for the "real" Montevina, beyond the usual situation with computers: the longer you wait, the higher the specs. for the same amount of money.