Apple in rumored talks to license vibration feedback for iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    This is nice-to-have, not must-have. As long as one can turn it off.....
  • Reply 42 of 52
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Sounds like this won't really be a big improvement, and it's a ways off. I just wish the iPhone had the Blackberry Pearl's keyboard (the "half-qwerty") and therefore could have wider buttons. That is a big factor that's kept me from getting an iPhone - I've tried it out at the store and my Neanderthal thumbs make typing on an iPhone about 3X slower than on my Pearl; so, half the point of having a smartphone is not working for me on an iPhone. Or landscape the keyboard on an iPhone, achieving wider buttons. If that's not an option on the 2.0 iPhone (), I wonder if someone could develop it using SDK?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    I think most iPhone owners would agree, you can't just pick up an iPhone and type like a pro. It takes practice. After months using an iPhone, a Blackberry or similar device may feel mighty clunky to you.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    When Steve Jobs can't type "Hi" on a phone without a typo, you need to just call it quits on this soft keyboard idea. Many have tried it since the late 70s, and all have failed.

I really hope that Apple either makes the screen taller and supports a horizontal keyboard for ALL apps, or adds a physical keyboard.

Bottom-line: You don't need to learn how to type on any other device.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    You are correct, ?You don't need to learn how to type on any other device,? other than the iPhone or perhaps the LG Prada. That?s because you have been pressing buttons since you were a two-year-old, and now, many years later, you suddenly come across a keyboard where your fingers want to instinctively ?press,? but instead you have to learn to ?touch? your keystrokes onto a keyboard. You may even be used to a stylus for pecking on a Palm touch pad. Tough to change what you?re used to doing for many years.

Don?t know your budget or what city you live near, but if you envision yourself renting a Ferrari 360 Spider, you?d find yourself sitting in a seat surrounded with levers and buttons unlike any other car you?ve ever been in. You?d need the rental employee to explain to you how to operate it, and you?d have to practice for a while before getting it to drive properly. ?You don?t need to learn how to drive any other car,? someone might say to you. ?That car must suck!?

But once you got used to the unconventional controls, you?d have a great machine on your hands.

So too with the iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    -1: car analogy
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

You are correct, ?You don't need to learn how to type on any other device,? other than the iPhone or perhaps the LG Prada. That?s because you have been pressing buttons since you were a two-year-old, and now, many years later, you suddenly come across a keyboard where your fingers want to instinctively ?press,? but instead you have to learn to ?touch? your keystrokes onto a keyboard. You may even be used to a stylus for pecking on a Palm touch pad. Tough to change what you?re used to doing for many years.

Don?t know your budget or what city you live near, but if you envision yourself renting a Ferrari 360 Spider, you?d find yourself sitting in a seat surrounded with levers and buttons unlike any other car you?ve ever been in. You?d need the rental employee to explain to you how to operate it, and you?d have to practice for a while before getting it to drive properly. ?You don?t need to learn how to drive any other car,? someone might say to you. ?That car must suck!?

But once you got used to the unconventional controls, you?d have a great machine on your hands.

So too with the iPhone.

I dont think Apple would be pleased with your analogy as they want their phone to be intuitive.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drtyrell969 View Post

I really hope that Apple either makes the screen taller and supports a horizontal keyboard for ALL apps, or adds a physical keyboard.

Yes, I've been calling for the horizontal keyboard as well as everyone else, I think.

Quote:

Bottom-line: You don't need to learn how to type on any other device.

That's not true though.

I've tried a number of these other phones and keyboards, and they all suck.

Having to remember to press a special key for numbers is a pain when you miss it.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    What we need, in addition to the already existing visual feedback, what we need is a retractable hammer that will smack your head each time your finger hits the intended location on the virtual keyboard. To make it even better, we should also have a paperclip dancing around asking if you need any assistance.

Geeezzz, are people so discombobulated about space that they need tactical feed back to confirm they have touched the right area?
  • Reply 50 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

What we need, in addition to the already existing visual feedback, what we need is a retractable hammer that will smack your head each time your finger hits the intended location on the virtual keyboard. To make it even better, we should also have a paperclip dancing around asking if you need any assistance.

Geeezzz, are people so discombobulated about space that they need tactical feed back to confirm they have touched the right area?

The hammer is a good idea. But it should be reserved for people who phone annoyingly in public places.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The hammer is a good idea. But it should be reserved for people who phone annoyingly in public places.

• Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

So too with the iPhone.

Being an Apple programmer since the age of 12, I'm very accustom to change. I am not a child who is buying a "toy" that happens to call itself a phone. I am buying a PHONE that is a solution to my business needs. I can't afford to stop and relearn something that I don't have to learn on a Treo or a Blackberry. I can beat anyone of you typing on either of those non-iPhone devices.

Remember, Steve Jobs couldn't type the word "HI" without making a typo, and he's the inventor of the phone. Have you ever noticed how he avoids typing during the Mac Worlds? Even the ads on TV fail to typo more than a couple characters.

People can't type on iPhones worth a damn.