Printing off of a networked Lexmark x2580 printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I cannot seem to get my printer (Lexmark x2500) working with my sisters 2.16 MB running 10.5.1. I could not get it to print also in 10.4.10. The printer is connected to a Windows computer and I am trying to add it over the network. I have installed the driver from Lexmark but no luck. When I was in Tiger, I was able to get the printer feed a paper through, though, not printing any text. It also brought up a screen on the Windows computer saying it was printing and the percent that has gone through even though nothing happened. Every time I try to print in Leopard, it says there is some sort of error on the Mac end. The print screen does not go on. I really need to get this working because I am going to be ordering a MBP within the next couple of days and really need to use the printer.

After suggestions from another forum, I have made sure that it is shared. The computer that the printer is on is fully on and not in sleep mode or off. I have also installed Bonjour for Windows on that computer and Bonjour Printer Wizard says, "No Bonjour Printers are availible." All of the Windows computer I have tried on run Windows XP as well as the computer that has the printer attached to it.

After trying to get it working all ways I know how, I am at a total loss. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    1) I assume the Windows PC and the Macintosh have the latest drivers from http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...OS%20X&target=

The drivers for Mac OS X are different for Leopard and Tiger.

2) Does the printer work properly when it is directly connected to the Macintosh?

3) Bonjour is not useful unless the printer is network capable and it is directly connected to the network. Even then it is a discovery protocol. You are sharing the printer from another machine. How exactly are the machines networked?

4) What network clients and protocols are installed on the Macintosh and Windows? If you are going through a router in the setup, is the router / firewall software on the PC configured to allow Netbios / SMB in the local domain? Are other computers able to print to this shared printer?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have found the problem, but not a solution. I need Gimp-Print or Gutenprint drivers for the Lexmark x2580 but none exist. I have heard that the Z25-Z35 drivers will work for the x2580 but none of those exist for Leopard. I have also heard that there may be a workaround. Can anyone explain this to me?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    candtsmaccandtsmac Posts: 11member
    I own a X2530 and have a similar problem, I have found the generic postscript driver works for text but I have not had time to test for quality. I'll let you know.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

I cannot seem to get my printer (Lexmark x2500) working with my sisters 2.16 MB running 10.5.1. I could not get it to print also in 10.4.10. The printer is connected to a Windows computer and I am trying to add it over the network. I have installed the driver from Lexmark but no luck. When I was in Tiger, I was able to get the printer feed a paper through, though, not printing any text. It also brought up a screen on the Windows computer saying it was printing and the percent that has gone through even though nothing happened. Every time I try to print in Leopard, it says there is some sort of error on the Mac end. The print screen does not go on. I really need to get this working because I am going to be ordering a MBP within the next couple of days and really need to use the printer.

After suggestions from another forum, I have made sure that it is shared. The computer that the printer is on is fully on and not in sleep mode or off. I have also installed Bonjour for Windows on that computer and Bonjour Printer Wizard says, "No Bonjour Printers are availible." All of the Windows computer I have tried on run Windows XP as well as the computer that has the printer attached to it.

After trying to get it working all ways I know how, I am at a total loss. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I found the solution for Mac to Mac printing with these units, I'll test it from Win to Mac tonight.

drivers here. http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...29:1:0:593:0:0

they are the drivers for the x2580 and work with my x2530. install drivers on the host machine. NOT the others. Then add shared printer. It takes a while to load the driver, you might think it has failed but wait and be patient. Then all will be well.

If you install the drivers on all machines things get strange and nothing really works. Leave it to lexmark.

I'll report on Windows sharing to a Mac later tonight after more testing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    meyhusmeyhus Posts: 2member

The model number Lexmark X2580.

Method 1:

You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:

http://support.lexmark.com

Method 2:

You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.

Lexmark X2580 Driver

Good Luck..
  • Reply 6 of 6
    meyhusmeyhus Posts: 2member

thnaks