Briefly: Spain, Poland iPhone talk; iPhone SDK beta 5; AT&T memo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Must have missed it. But you are right, technically a recession can not be called a recession until after it has happen. The term recession can only properly be used in hindsight.

My other point though is that no negative growth has actually been reported yet. So we can't even say that this is the beginning of a recession

But, according to the resident ray of sunshine, we should all expect Q1 growth to be modified downward by over half a percentage point
  • Reply 62 of 107
    diskimagediskimage Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

But, according to the resident ray of sunshine, we should all expect Q1 growth to be modified downward by over half a percentage point

He can expect as much as he wants, but the word recession should not be used until it is actually reported.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    Quote:

He can expect as much as he wants, but the word recession should not be used until it is actually reported.

But but but! It WAS reported that Alan Greenspan said it! Well actually he said it was a pale recession, god knows what that means... I guess it must mean an economy where no recession happens but things get iffy...
  • Reply 64 of 107
    Quote:

But but but! It WAS reported that Alan Greenspan said it! Well actually he said it was a pale recession, god knows what that means... I guess it must mean an economy where no recession happens but things get iffy...

I meant that the word recession should not be used until actual negative growth is reported. Not that it should not be used until the former fed chairman, or some one else, says that they think we might be in a weak or "pale" recession.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's another interesting quote:

You do realize we aren't actually saying anything much different from each other?

You're saying that until players hit $200, sales won't really take off on players.

I'm saying the same thing, but just giving evidence that sales of movies is already showing a serious upturn.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArthurAscii View Post

On reflection, and since you're being so snarky and defensive about this, I feel it is my grave responsibility to point out that it wasn't a typo, but a goof.

A typo is a finger-slip, typing 'teh' rather than 'the'. Inserting an apostrophe in 'memos' is an error. You obviously meant 'memos', but spaced it and typed 'memo's'.

And yeah, we all make those mistakes as well...

A typo is an error. I usually catch them, but when I'm in a hurry, sometimes they slip by.

Call it what you want.

But you're the one being snarky here, Mr. Arthur with Ascii in your screen name.

I can only assume it's there so you can show how much you know about it.

So, if you want this to continue, fine. The original comment was uncalled for though, even though it may have been funny to you.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:

This is getting silly.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A typo is an error. I usually catch them, but when I'm in a hurry, sometimes they slip by.

Call it what you want.

But you're the one being snarky here, Mr. Arthur with Ascii in your screen name.

I can only assume it's there so you can show how much you know about it.

It's an obscure British television reference: you wouldn't get it unless you were watching it at a certain age.

Quote:

So, if you want this to continue, fine. The original comment was uncalled for though, even though it may have been funny to you.

Yes, it was. But honestly, not at your expense, more at the propensity writing has to trip us all up. If you want to take it as a personal assault on your linguistic credibility from 'a wiseass'- and your sulkiness suggests you do - then fine right back to you, too.

I don't understand this notion of 'uncalled for', BTW.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    Quote:

I meant that the word recession should not be used until actual negative growth is reported. Not that it should not be used until the former fed chairman, or some one else, says that they think we might be in a weak or "pale" recession.

Ok, look it wasn't just Greenspan.

The numbers are up to interpretation, official or not.

This is the information I was referring to. Please read the entire article, and check the numbers near the bottom. Note the percentage of US economists who agree that the US is in recession.

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...mist_declares/

You can argue with me all you want, and call me names if you guys feel better about it, but I'm not making it up.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    Quote:

It's an obscure British television reference: you wouldn't get it unless you were watching it at a certain age.

Yes, it was. But honestly, not at your expense, more at the propensity writing has to trip us all up. If you want to take it as a personal assault on your linguistic credibility from 'a wiseass'- and your sulkiness suggests you do - then fine right back to you, too.

I don't understand this notion of 'uncalled for', BTW.

Alright, look, I'm not in need of any more fights right now.\

I'll take your word that you didn't mean anything, if you take mine that it wasn't just your comment, but the piling up that I was feeling.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:

Alright, look, I'm not in need of any more fights right now.\

I'll take your word that you didn't mean anything, if you take mine that it wasn't just your comment, but the piling up that I was feeling.

Gladly.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    Quote:

Gladly.

Thank you.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You do realize we aren't actually saying anything much different from each other?

Yes, I do. I love it when a good plan comes together.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Not really. While it's true that the sales of standalone players isn't doing too well right now, the sales of the PS3 are. It's thought to be 85% of the BD players in use AS BD players.

And the sales of BD movies, so far this year, is more than twice that of all last year.

If there is any one place that would give us an indication on how well the format is going, it would be from Blockbuster.

With only 510 Blu-ray titles on hand, and just 13 newly added titles in 2008, vs. nearly 150 new releases on DVD so far this week alone, it would appear that Blu-ray just isn't making much impact as yet. Another indication on how little it is being received, is the fact that Blockbuster has only a small limited number of copies available on the shelf of any one title at any one time.

As well, as reported elsewhere, there are major consideration to suggest that one shouldn't jump on the bandwagon,

"Ironically, although Blu-ray has been declared the winner, it is right now about the worst time to invest in a standalone Blu-ray player, because of the high prices and looming obsolescence. Many of the current Blu-ray manufacturers have announced new players that will support BD Profile 2.0, so my advice would be to buy a PS3 or wait for the next-gen players. In the meantime, buy a dirt cheap HD DVD player and some even cheaper HD DVD movies." http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

Certainly looks as if Apple's decision not to include Blu-ray as yet, is right on again.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, I do. I love it when a good plan comes together.

Before the next decade I hope for this one (not ours..
  • Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If there is any one place that would give us an indication on how well the format is going, it would be from Blockbuster.

With only 510 Blu-ray titles on hand, and just 13 newly added titles in 2008, vs. nearly 150 new releases on DVD so far this week alone, it would appear that Blu-ray just isn't making much impact as yet. Another indication on how little it is being received, is the fact that Blockbuster has only a small limited number of copies available on the shelf of any one title at any one time.

As well, as reported elsewhere, there are major consideration to suggest that one shouldn't jump on the bandwagon,

"Ironically, although Blu-ray has been declared the winner, it is right now about the worst time to invest in a standalone Blu-ray player, because of the high prices and looming obsolescence. Many of the current Blu-ray manufacturers have announced new players that will support BD Profile 2.0, so my advice would be to buy a PS3 or wait for the next-gen players. In the meantime, buy a dirt cheap HD DVD player and some even cheaper HD DVD movies." http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

Certainly looks as if Apple's decision not to include Blu-ray as yet, is right on again.

There have been far more BD releases than that during 2008.

But Blockbuster is a loser. I went in to buy the new Stargate SG movie a couple of weeks ago. They had a couple of dozen on the shelves, but they wouldn't sell it to me, only rent.

That's stupid! Do they really think they need two dozen copies to rent?
  • Reply 77 of 107
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

There have been far more BD releases than that during 2008.

But Blockbuster is a loser. I went in to buy the new Stargate SG movie a couple of weeks ago. They had a couple of dozen on the shelves, but they wouldn't sell it to me, only rent.

That's stupid! Do they really think they need two dozen copies to rent?

The point was that 'new' movie weren't being released in such numbers to encourage a major video rental outlet to help move the format. Based on the the Blu-ray (BR) site, only 10 new BRs were released on May 6. However, only a couple were 'new' movies, as apposed to old, classics, music videos, etc.

For somebody to invest in this format, more new movies and a larger selection have to be available in the first place. Again, the Blu-ray site lists less than 700 movies available in total.

The format has to be finalized or complete enough that one will accept the current one realizing that a new version is on the horizon.

The price has to come down, not be going up.

And the members of the Blu-ray association which controls manufacturing, has to agree to let third-world developing countries, such as China, produce the players/recorders/drives; otherwise, the prices will continue to remain high.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    Quote:

This is the information I was referring to. Please read the entire article, and check the numbers near the bottom. Note the percentage of US economists who agree that the US is in recession.

You can argue with me all you want, and call me names if you guys feel better about it, but I'm not making it up.

I know that you are not making it up. I was just saying that it is jumping to conclusions that we are in a recession. Yes I did read the article but that was from almost 2 months ago.

The latest word is.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...googlenews_wsj
  • Reply 79 of 107
    Quote:

Don't think you're making it up, I just think you're selectively choosing your evidence to support the worldview that you already have.

For instance, this morning I opened up an article on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24489814/

They did their own survey, 2 months later than the one you cite (when we all agree things have probably only gotten worse), and came up with "about half" of economists that think a recession has begun. Now, I didn't go around searching the web for references, but if I did, I'm sure I could find someone else who did a survey of economists that found 30% as well. Economists don't exactly just live in a dorm where they can all be surveyed in one fell swoop - like political surveys, it's easy to get the result you are looking for by carefully picking your sample of respondents.

That's why the semantics of it all matter - recession is a technical term with a very specific meaning, and it means economic contraction of two or more quarters. As someone else pointed out, it can only be declared retroactively. But recession can't include periods of time where the economy expanded, as it did last quarter. We'll know what happened this quarter in a month or two. So, quit being so insufferable and just acknowledge that what you're arguing is just your opinion, not fact.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The point was that 'new' movie weren't being released in such numbers to encourage a major video rental outlet to help move the format. Based on the the Blu-ray (BR) site, only 10 new BRs were released on May 6. However, only a couple were 'new' movies, as apposed to old, classics, music videos, etc.

For somebody to invest in this format, more new movies and a larger selection have to be available in the first place. Again, the Blu-ray site lists less than 700 movies available in total.

The format has to be finalized or complete enough that one will accept the current one realizing that a new version is on the horizon.

The price has to come down, not be going up.

And the members of the Blu-ray association which controls manufacturing, has to agree to let third-world developing countries, such as China, produce the players/recorders/drives; otherwise, the prices will continue to remain high.

The studios have been announcing that all new releases will be released in both DVD and BD. Remember that HD-DVD just died. Give them a chance to rev up. We will have a much better picture mid summer, when current production, and production soon to be released, will be out on disk. While the "war" was on, releases were slow in coming.

Since no one expected the sudden departure of HD-DVD, plans are still in a jumble. The studios that were not producing BD at all have to start from scratch.

I think it's pretty good that movie sales have gone to where they have with the limited number of films available as it is. Something like iTunes and its movie sales. With a small selection, it's difficult to achieve much.