Briefly: Spain, Poland iPhone talk; iPhone SDK beta 5; AT&T memo

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Talks are ongoing to bring the next-generation of Apple's iPhone to Spain and Poland. Meanwhile, a new version of the iPhone SDK has been released with minor tweaks; AppleInsider can confirm an AT&T memo issued Tuesday; and eBay has yanked an auction for an unofficial Mac clone system.



Orange may distribute iPhone outside France



France Telecom's Orange, Apple's exclusive iPhone provider and distributor in France, is "in discussions" with the handset maker to sell the next-generation iPhone in other European countries.



The carrier's chief financial officer Gervais Pellissier said the company is in talks with Apple on the subject, in particular with regard to Spain and Poland "among others".



In the past two weeks, carriers worldwide have announced deals (1, 2, 3) that will see the iPhone arrive later this year in Canada, Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey.



iPhone SDK (build 9M2173a, beta 5)



Apple early Wednesday sent an email to iPhone developers informing them that the fifth beta version of the iPhone SDK is now available for download. The release "fixes bugs and adds support for the latest iPhone OS," according to a brief set of release notes.







In forthcoming releases of the developers kit, Apple promises to support horizontally transitioning the keyboard out on a navigation controller pop , UIViewController support of alternate landscape view, a reduction to the default font size for UITextView, and a limit on UIActionSheet titles to just two lines.



AT&T iPhone memo confirmation



AppleInsider can now definitively confirm an AT&T Mobility memo issued on Tuesday announcing vacation blackout days beginning next month, having received the message in its entirety (below).



The memo asks retail staffers to schedule any upcoming vacation days prior to June 15th or after July 12, so that they may participate in an "exciting Summer Promotional Launch" around that time -- presumed to be the launch of Apple's 3G iPhone.







AT&T Mobility made an almost identical request last year, which boosts confidence that Apple plans to launch its next-generation handset almost one year from the date of the original iPhone -- June 27th, the final Friday of the month.



eBay Buy-it-Now auction pulled



While Apple has been unusually silent regarding an unauthorized Mac clone on sale from Psystar Corporation, someone or something has caused eBay to take action regarding a pair ofcopycat systems that went up for sale on the auction website on Tuesday.



The listing for the $549 Leopard-based system is now suddenly "unavailable."
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 107
    shawnathanshawnathan Posts: 62member
    @ ATT Letter:



    Yuuuuuuuck, double spaces after sentences. Designer's typography nightmare or, a find and replace heaven.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post


    @ ATT Letter:



    Yuuuuuuuck, double spaces after sentences. Designer's typography nightmare or, a find and replace heaven.



    It's funny - I've designed typography for 20 years and won loads of awards in the UK and USA for my work, but I always double space after a full stop when I'm writing a document or message.



    It's just easier to read.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Just for the fun of it, let's say the new iphone or multiple models of iphone come out on June 27th ,or the 29th like I think , what will be the number on the first 2 days or 4 days of sale ? I say they will sell 3- 4 million phones in the first 2 or 4 days of June. This time u can buy as many iphones as u want and can carry. 3- 4 million in 2 days ordered or carried out. What do you think ?

    This otta get some discussion . lol
  • Reply 4 of 107
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    Just for the fun of it, let's say the new iphone or multiple models of iphone come out on June 27th ,or the 29th like I think , what will be the number on the first 2 days or 4 days of sale ? I say they will sell 3- 4 million phones in the first 2 or 4 days of June. This time u can buy as many iphones as u want and can carry. 3- 4 million in 2 days ordered or carried out. What do you think ?

    This otta get some discussion . lol



    I think you may have had too much coffee this morning. I really think that the recession in the USA, at least, will make it impossible to reach the 3-4 million mark you are speaking of. Unless the Iphone 3g is released simultaneously around the world, I do not see that mark being reached for a few months at the very least. With people deciding whether to buy groceries or get gasoline, I do not think an extravagant tech purchase is going to take off in those kinds of numbers. *Sips his rooibos tea*
  • Reply 5 of 107
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    I think you may have had too much coffee this morning. I really think that the recession in the USA, at least, will make it impossible to reach the 3-4 million mark you are speaking of. Unless the Iphone 3g is released simultaneously around the world, I do not see that mark being reached for a few months at the very least. With people deciding whether to buy groceries or get gasoline, I do not think an extravagant tech purchase is going to take off in those kinds of numbers. *Sips his rooibos tea*



    I believe in multiple country release ..,, yes .,,.. can't stand coffee, it makes me throw up ,.. and it's only been 1 cup of tea so far today , although it was a double in a pint lol, so that makes 2 cups . AND has to be no restriction on quantity u can buy . Probably not gonna happen on the quantity issue though ,. they will limit that to get more individual users to spread the message .
  • Reply 6 of 107
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    I believe in multiple country release ..,, yes .,,.. can't stand coffee, it makes me throw up ,.. and it's only been 1 cup of tea so far today , although it was a double in a pint lol, so that makes 2 cups . AND has to be no restriction on quantity u can buy . Probably not gonna happen on the quantity issue though ,. they will limit that to get more individual users to spread the message .



    I have this nagging sense that the Iphone 3g enterprize is going to be a failure. Even though I own apple stock, I can't see people making "gilded age" purchases when cities are going bankrupt.



    http://www.nbc11.com/politics/16185467/detail.html



    No one really cares about 3g except us computer geeks and even we are struggling with the downsizing taking place in tech companies, financial institutions

    (thinking Bear Stearns specifically), etc. I can't imagine what people are facing in the heartland of the US, where work is scarce and being outsourced everyday to foreign lands.

    Anyone care to discuss?
  • Reply 7 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    Just for the fun of it, let's say the new iphone or multiple models of iphone come out on June 27th ,or the 29th like I think , what will be the number on the first 2 days or 4 days of sale ? I say they will sell 3- 4 million phones in the first 2 or 4 days of June. This time u can buy as many iphones as u want and can carry. 3- 4 million in 2 days ordered or carried out. What do you think ?

    This otta get some discussion . lol



    I don't think so. The Thrill is Gone, as the song says.



    I do think it will sell well those first days, but not to that tune (see how cleverly I did that?).



    IF Apple can get this out at the end of the month, AND they can get it to all the new markets around that time, AND if they can get them there in the numbers required, THEN I see them selling more than the 3.6 million or so they would need to sell through September, to make their 10 million number for this calendar year.



    But with Apple, that's a big but.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    I have this nagging sense that the Iphone 3g enterprize is going to be a failure. Even though I own apple stock, I can't see people making "gilded age" purchases when cities are going bankrupt.



    http://www.nbc11.com/politics/16185467/detail.html



    No one really cares about 3g except us computer geeks and even we are struggling with the downsizing taking place in tech companies, financial institutions

    (thinking Bear Stearns specifically), etc.

    Anyone care to discuss?



    I dn't agree with that. While sales won't be as good as they would have been without a recession, which is moving worldwide, they will still be good.



    What people do when money is tight, is to change some buying patterns. For example, instead of buying a big Tv for a couple of thousand, as a luxury purchase, they might buy an iPhone, for several hundred.



    People need some sense of luxury even in a recession to make themselves feel as though they aren't sinking.



    Remember that with all the troubles, few are out of a job, or losing their homes, when compared to the entire market.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    good to hear that iphone is coming to spain
  • Reply 10 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    iphone come out on June 27th ,or the 29th like I think



    Note that the 29th is a Sunday. The 27th would follow last year's release.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't think so. The Thrill is Gone, as the song says.



    I don't think it is. There are those (especially outside the US) that have been waiting for 3G and there is v2.0. I expect to see at least 100 apps in the App Store upon it's launch. I also expect at least a doubling of the current unit sales, which would mean 10M units sold in the last 6 months of this calendar year.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post


    It's funny - I've designed typography for 20 years and won loads of awards in the UK and USA for my work, but I always double space after a full stop when I'm writing a document or message.



    It's just easier to read.



    It's an old-fashioned habit and the change to one space is recognized as the proper standard now by the Chicago Manual of Style and newspaper standards.



    http://wordwise.typepad.com/blog/200...e_what_yo.html
  • Reply 12 of 107
    diskimagediskimage Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    I really think that the recession in the USA, at least, will make it impossible to reach the 3-4 million mark you are speaking of.



    What recession? A recession is negative economic growth for two strait quarters. While the economy has slowed some we are currently not in a recession. In fact South Dakota's economy is doing quite well right now.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post


    What recession? A recession is negative economic growth for two strait quarters. While the economy has slowed some we are currently not in a recession. In fact South Dakota's economy is doing quite well right now.



    Maybe the best economic brain currently around, former Fed chief Alan Greenspan, could enlighten you.



    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...jPc&refer=home
  • Reply 14 of 107
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post


    What recession? A recession is negative economic growth for two strait quarters. While the economy has slowed some we are currently not in a recession. In fact South Dakota's economy is doing quite well right now.



    You would also think that Apple's most recent quarterly earnings report would quiet the concerns over the economy a bit. The folks who are buying iPhones, Macs and iPods are clearly not choosing between groceries and gas. The fact is unemployment is incredibly low, and the part of the USA that is suffering seems to be middle America right now, which is not the typical market for $500 phones anyway. I'll be getting my second iPhone within a week of launch.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    Maybe the best economic brain currently around, former Fed chief Alan Greenspan, could enlighten you.



    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...jPc&refer=home



    Indeed: "``We're in a recession,'' he said. ``But this is an awfully pale recession at the moment. The declines in employment have not been as big as you'd expect to see.''"



    Arguing recession or not is a matter of semantics. The strict definition says we are not. But we are certainly close. There is no real-world difference between 0.1% growth and 0.1% contraction, but words do have meaning, and 0.1% growth, even for 10 straight years, is not a recession.



    All that matters (to our discussion) is how the economy effects Apple purchases, and all the evidence that is public suggests that the effect is minimal right now.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    Maybe the best economic brain currently around, former Fed chief Alan Greenspan, could enlighten you.



    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...jPc&refer=home



    That article seems to suggest that it's somewhere in between - he called it a "pale" recession. It's not something I'm really worried about, I wasn't and I'm still not worried about it, Greenspan or not. I've felt for a while that this recession has been overhyped. "They" - being the people talking about recession, were talking about recession in January and the world still hasn't collapsed despite "their" tone suggesting it would. Apple still had a fantastic quarter in most respects. I have made it a point of telling people that their tone makes it sound like Great Depression II.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's an old-fashioned habit and the change to one space is recognized as the proper standard now by the Chicago Manual of Style and newspaper standards.



    http://wordwise.typepad.com/blog/200...e_what_yo.html



    Either way, it sounds like an overly rigid rule based on an overly subjective argument.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I don't think it is. There are those (especially outside the US) that have been waiting for 3G and there is v2.0. I expect to see at least 100 apps in the App Store upon it's launch. I also expect at least a doubling of the current unit sales, which would mean 10M units sold in the last 6 months of this calendar year.



    I'm not saying that the interest is gone. But it's no longer the "new" thing. It's been around, and most people know what it is. Even moving to 3G won't change the familiarity. The new software will help, but it's still the iPhone. People will buy it, and it will do well, as I've said. But, people have already seen it.



    Most of the "ooh" factor is gone.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's an old-fashioned habit and the change to one space is recognized as the proper standard now by the Chicago Manual of Style and newspaper standards.



    http://wordwise.typepad.com/blog/200...e_what_yo.html



    That was true forever?for typographically done work.



    But for typed pages, such as memo's, two spaces is still considered to be the norm.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post


    What recession? A recession is negative economic growth for two strait quarters. While the economy has slowed some we are currently not in a recession. In fact South Dakota's economy is doing quite well right now.



    Want to bet we're in a recession? The supposed tiny growth last quarter will be, as always, subject to adjustment. Which way do you think that will go?



    I'm willing to bet that the present quarter will be even worse.



    Economists have been saying for several months now, that this will be one of the worst recessions since the end of WW II. And that it will be one of the longest.



    I'm happy for S. Dakota. how many iPhones do you think Apple will sell there/ A thousand? That'll do it.
Sign In or Register to comment.