Apple's Mac sales up 50 percent in April

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are there any stock/investing sites you gravitate toward? I sometimes follow Motley Fool, but I'm not a day trader and can't afford to risk huge chunks of my investments on high-risk stocks.

In my opinion, Motley Fool is a shock-jock radio talk-show. Good entertainment if you like that sort of thing, but a bit short on "information you can rely on." A Fool listener and his/her money are soon parted.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, I don't know.

Nor do I. But the brand appeal rests on enterprise and keyboard, and being a me-too on a "non-enterprise" and non-keyboard is stepping out into waters beyond the core (and halo) constituency. It will be interesting to see what they have to offer to offset these deficiencies (to thier installed base).
  • Reply 43 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Nor do I. But the brand appeal rests on enterprise and keyboard, and being a me-too on a "non-enterprise" and non-keyboard is stepping out into waters beyond the core (and halo) constituency. It will be interesting to see what they have to offer to offset these deficiencies (to thier installed base).

With all the talk of the iPhone taking some of RIM's marketshare, something that has yet to happen, this phone could remove some of that hazard.

Remember that people make decisions for various reasons. Many of those reasons are internalized so that we don't know why we make them, though we may think we do.

RIM is very successful. like Apple is in their areas. This phone could be very successful too.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You can get pretty rich making 9% a year. Eventually Apple will be too big (market cap) to continue growing quickly, and I don't plan on being the last one out of the stock.

Growth is not dictated by a magical market cap number. There was a time when $100m companies were "too big". In our lifetime, we will see trillion-dollar companies, both due to inflation as well as the growth of capitalism.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Again, you are looking at older equipment. New equipment costs much less, is more efficient, is smaller, simpler, doesn't use lead cells, etc.

Here's an interesting company:

http://www.coolearthsolar.com/technology
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Here's an interesting company:

http://www.coolearthsolar.com/technology

These guys have intresting stuff.

It's why alternative energy companies are so interesting these days. The higher price of fuel will support much new research and development of ideas.

I'm thinking of making an investment in at least one company in an investing round, but, so far, I'm standing on the side investigating.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:

With all the talk of the iPhone taking some of RIM's marketshare, something that has yet to happen, this phone could remove some of that hazard.

Remember that people make decisions for various reasons. Many of those reasons are internalized so that we don't know why we make them, though we may think we do.

RIM is very successful. like Apple is in their areas. This phone could be very successful too.

Well, since neither of us know what we are talking about (not having used said RIM device), anything couold indeed happen. But from my small sample-size of one user who had both a BB (for "real" work), and an iPhone his boss bought him to "impress the clients", I'd say that unless RIM is able to push this phone beyond, and well beyond, the enterprise/keyboard(email/text) market, this is going to edge out the Zune as an MBA (as in business school) textbook example of product/market un-innovation.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:

Well, since neither of us know what we are talking about (not having used said RIM device), anything couold indeed happen. But from my small sample-size of one user who had both a BB (for "real" work), and an iPhone his boss bought him to "impress the clients", I'd say that unless RIM is able to push this phone beyond, and well beyond, the enterprise/keyboard(email/text) market, this is going to edge out the Zune as an MBA (as in business school) textbook example of product/market un-innovation.

As you say, we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

In my opinion, Motley Fool is a shock-jock radio talk-show. Good entertainment if you like that sort of thing, but a bit short on "information you can rely on." A Fool listener and his/her money are soon parted.

I tend to agree with that opinion, any time you have many, many people following a stock(s) together, they may actually be large enough to influence the direction of the stock, sort of a 'blind leading the blind' scenario.

But I'm not letting you off easy. You didn't answer my question. What site or sites do you follow?
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

These guys have intresting stuff.

It's why alternative energy companies are so interesting these days. The higher price of fuel will support much new research and development of ideas.

I'm thinking of making an investment in at least one company in an investing round, but, so far, I'm standing on the side investigating.

Have you been involved in many IPOs? I thought for a while about investing in a sportswear company during the IPO phase, but decided against it because of the volatile, fleeting nature of fashions. Just too risky for me.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The first thing I thought when I heard about the "Economic Stimulus Checks"... what a fraud.

Oh, I agree with that, too. It's printing money, as far as I'm concerned. My child will be paying for this stunt for years to come, so I figure if I let her have a lot of time on our shiny, new MacBook, at least she'll feel like she got some benefit from the loan on which she's paying the interest.

And, I don't mean to one-up you, but I've been a proud AAPL owner since 1997!
  • Reply 52 of 80
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Growth is not dictated by a magical market cap number. There was a time when $100m companies were "too big". In our lifetime, we will see trillion-dollar companies, both due to inflation as well as the growth of capitalism.

Indeed. But I'm not willing to wait a lifetime to enjoy a 6X return (in Apple's case).

There can be no denying that if you are hoping for truly amazing returns of 50%+ per year you can only hope to do that by buying stocks small enough to be growing into (or creating) a large market, not stocks that are already (or priced like they are already, in Apple's case) a large part of a large market.

It is a pattern I have seen happen many times over the past decade since I started paying more attention to the market. By the time the masses show up in a stock with dollar signs in their eyes, the best of the run is over. After all, it's those wide-eyed gold-rushers that caused much of the huge run-up in the first place.

Everyone then sits around waiting for the move up to resume. Wondering out loud what it is XYZ has to do to get the market's attention. But the problem is, all the suckers have already bought so there's no one left out there to buy on the good news. Years pass and the true believers remain in denial that they have been holding a stock that was dead money for a few years while the smart investors moved on to hunt for the next gold rush.

Love the company, but don't fall in love with the stock. Companies don't grow forever, and the stock will stop growing like you hoped long before the company does, too.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    I think if you look at the potential of Apple's future products, and the way they are positioning themselves (for instance take the iPhone), then there is massive potential and growth possibilities. Forget 200, AAPL will be headed for 300 by the end of next year.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

I think if you look at the potential of Apple's future products, and the way they are positioning themselves (for instance take the iPhone), then there is massive potential and growth possibilities. Forget 200, AAPL will be headed for 300 by the end of next year.

That would be very disappointing for anyone hoping for greater than 50% annual returns, forget about 100%.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Well it depends, if you got in at 120 recently then I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock at $240 same time next year, that's a pretty decent return on your dollar.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

And, I don't mean to one-up you, but I've been a proud AAPL owner since 1997!

Congratulations! And what was the stock at back then? Hope you managed to buy a huge chunk of it.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Indeed. But I'm not willing to wait a lifetime to enjoy a 6X return (in Apple's case).

There can be no denying that if you are hoping for truly amazing returns of 50%+ per year you can only hope to do that by buying stocks small enough to be growing into (or creating) a large market, not stocks that are already (or priced like they are already, in Apple's case) a large part of a large market.

It is a pattern I have seen happen many times over the past decade since I started paying more attention to the market. By the time the masses show up in a stock with dollar signs in their eyes, the best of the run is over. After all, it's those wide-eyed gold-rushers that caused much of the huge run-up in the first place.

Everyone then sits around waiting for the move up to resume. Wondering out loud what it is XYZ has to do to get the market's attention. But the problem is, all the suckers have already bought so there's no one left out there to buy on the good news. Years pass and the true believers remain in denial that they have been holding a stock that was dead money for a few years while the smart investors moved on to hunt for the next gold rush.

Love the company, but don't fall in love with the stock. Companies don't grow forever, and the stock will stop growing like you hoped long before the company does, too.

That's the whole trick isn't it? I mean one doesn't really know if your company of choice will be around next month, much less next year, or whether the investment will be worthwhile. As far as I'm concerned, AAPL is a once in a lifetime stock. I seriously doubt I'll ever see growth like it again.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    At the risk of repeating myself, I sure wish AI had a permanent area for stock speculation, advice and discussion... We have some very informed AAPL owners here and everyone would benefit from their combined wisdom.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Congratulations! And what was the stock at back then? Hope you managed to buy a huge chunk of it.

Between $3.50 and just under $7 a share. Assuming a $5 price it's gone up over 35x since then.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Between $3.50 and just under $7 a share. Assuming a $5 price it's gone up over 35x since then.

So you're worth millions now, right?