Piper on mid-June 3G iPhone; 1 in 4 waiting for new model; more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You must be new here... AAPL will drop no matter what they announce. The rumors will always go nuts and the reality will always be met with Paul Thurott and Rob Enderle hopping on their forums and discussing why Apple will fail.

It's called buy the rumor, sell the news. And Apple is far from the only stock that sees it. The smart investor doesn't let himself be buffeted by these "greater powers" and complain as if you could not see it coming.

The reason it happens is because stocks move on expectations. The market already has expectations for the new iPhone. Say 90% of participants expect it will have GPS, a 4 MP camera, 3G, and a thinner case. Another 10% expect all that, plus tethering capability, itunes over 3G and a price drop of $200. Say none of those latter things come to pass. The 10% who bid up Apple stock on those lofty expectations will sell, and the stock will fall back to where it would have been had they never bought in the first place.

Now, while people will bitch and moan when the stock drops, all that happened was that a few points were taken away that were never reasonably deserved in the first place. It's the poker player who complains about bad beats all day and forgets all the times he flopped a straight on the last card. The gains from 170 to 190 were based on expectations of a few that didn't happen. When that comes to pass, the stock goes back to 170. Waaaah!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He pulled that figure out of his a**

Get real, that's hardly enough, and it was likely based in one location. I'd say a good 70% of potential European customers are waiting for the iPhone to be 3G. Most look at Edge and chuckle.

But 3600 is a pretty good sample size.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But 3600 is a pretty good sample size.

Yeah, if the sampling was good (probably pretty debatable) 3600 is actually a very large sample size that would yield excellent estimates.

I don't know anything about the survey though. I'm kind of assuming it was just done in the US, so I certainly wouldn't take it to be useful outside the US market. One world-wide survey of 3600 is both impractical and unlikely to yield particularly meaningful results.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    http://www.electronista.com/articles....by.late.june/

this article confuses me says a complet HSPA network by june....then it says it will have 3g for nearly all its markets by the end of the year" so what about 3g coverage areas ?

and then that the iphone chip set is incomplete, limiting the advantage of the roll out---so which handsets can fully use this capability?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

He pulled that figure out of his a**

Get real, that's hardly enough, and it was likely based in one location. I'd say a good 70% of potential European customers are waiting for the iPhone to be 3G. Most look at Edge and chuckle.

and tell us again how many respondents in YOUR survey?

what was that about @55 ??
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Few talk about it here but, the iPhone v2 must have a higher resolution screen. With 3G, we will be using the Safari browser alot more and I am really tired of zooming in and out on my iPhone v1's screen of only 480x320 pixels. If the iPhone is truely to be the "internet in your pocket", then Apple must design the iPhone 3G with a screen resolution that supports viewing a full standard web page without zooming every paragraph! (this will also help the ipod video viewing as well).

Anybody care to suggest a proper iPhone 3G screen resolution?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

Few talk about it here but, the iPhone v2 must have a higher resolution screen. With 3G, we will be using the Safari browser alot more and I am really tired of zooming in and out on my iPhone v1's screen of only 480x320 pixels. If the iPhone is truely to be the "internet in your pocket", then Apple must design the iPhone 3G with a screen resolution that supports viewing a full standard web page without zooming every paragraph! (this will also help the ipod video viewing as well).

I think the next step might be 720x480, assuming it's available.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think the next step might be 720x480, assuming it's available.

At least VGA would be nice. Higher end phones are starting to come with better resolution displays and the R&D for swapping to a new one is minimal. I will be severely disappointed if the ppi is not increased substantially, even if the rest of the case stays the same.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At least VGA would be nice. Higher end phones are starting to come with better resolution displays and the R&D for swapping to a new one is minimal. I will be severely disappointed if the ppi is not increased substantially, even if the rest of the case stays the same.

I assumed a 1.5 aspect ratio (same as iPhone) with 480 rows. I think it's the most reasonable progression. I don't watch the components to know if there's anything like that.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

I assumed a 1.5 aspect ratio (same as iPhone) with 480 rows. I think it's the most reasonable progression. I don't watch the components to know if there's anything like that.

I am not sure either. Cost aside, I also don't know how much extra power is consumed by increasing the ppi. I don't need a device to have the most to win Spec Wars if the battery time is highly reduced while the visual benefit is nominal.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

A higher resolution screen will only make the words even smaller when the web page is in full view.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

A higher resolution screen will only make the words even smaller when the web page is in full view.

Take a look at the Nokia 810 or the Sony mylo Personal Communicator. These all have VGA or higher resolution screens on pocketable devices and they are still very readable. Please Apple I love your industrial designs, but the iPhone's current 320x480 pixel screen resolution can not be really called "the internet in your pocket".
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Does it really? If it's fitting the page width (or column width) to the screen width, and that width is a certain number of points wide, then a higher resolution screen should make the text more readable before zooming.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Take a look at the Nokia 810 or the Sony mylo Personal Communicator. These all have VGA or higher resolution screens on pocketable devices and they are still very readable. Please Apple I love your industrial designs, but the iPhone's current 320x480 pixel screen resolution can not be really called "the internet in your pocket".

The Sony Mylo that you are referring was released only 4 months ago at CES. It now has a 3.5" 800x480 TFT touchscreen. The first Mylo had a 2.4" 320x240 non-touchscreen display and was released just 9 months before the iPhone launched.

The Nokia N810 is has a 4.1" 800x480 display. Nokia has been using this screen size and resolution on these internet only devices for years. They are not cell phones. The Mylo a higher ppi, but it's a newer device and so one would expect that. I would like a higher resoltuion but to say that you can't call it "the internet in your pocket" because it doesn't have the highest resolution is not a good argument.

Was there a cellphone with a higher ppi display prior to the iPhone's announcement?

BTW, i expect the iPhone to have at least a 640x480 display, but would bet on it having the same one as the Mylo.

Quote:

Does it really? If it's fitting the page width (or column width) to the screen width, and that width is a certain number of points wide, then a higher resolution screen should make the text more readable before zooming.

I agree.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

With customers like you they don't have to do much to see their products.

I simply have no use for a camera on a cellphone so I do not care what they do to it. But I would like to see less complaints about such a peripheric feature.

(I normally do carry with me a Ricoh GRD II with me, it does decent pictures at base ISO, call me back when cellphone cameras have reached the same quality level.)
  • Reply 36 of 40
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Right that true. The web page is already much smaller on the phone than its native resolution. So its resolution won't grow any smaller.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Yes, because a survey of 3,600 people is less accurate than the opinion of some anonymous internet poster making up percentages.

You bet ya. This was a US survey, I'm sure of that.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

and tell us again how many respondents in YOUR survey?

what was that about @55 ??

Fair point Mr. negativity. When most Europeans heard the iPhone was Edge it was pretty much a "yeah right". Where are you from Walt?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    I decided to get out and go see the new Indiana Jones film debuting at midnight. I arrived a little early as one needs to on nights like this to obtain a good seat. There were only 20 people in the theater when I walked in. Including me there are 6 people with iPhones out and actively using them. That is 30% in one glance. Perhaps this is a fluke or that late night movies in the middle of the week draw a certain demographic. Regardless, I then noticed that the other 14 were not using phones in any way. I think that is quite telling of the usefulness the iPhone has other phones.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I have to say that I have had no issues with syncing Calendars or Contacts to my iPod nano. I have a Red iPod nano 8GB and sync to an iMac running 10.5.2

I think this is Apple's way of getting us to upgrade to Leopard. I'm currently running 10.4.11 and really didn't have the need to upgrade until now.