Just ordered a 24" iMac: is glossy great or not?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
No whining, no ranting, no long explanations...just tell me: are you satisfied with your glossy screen on the iMac 24"? Or is it really the horrible mirror that some say it is?

I've already ordered a brand new iMac 24" in replacement of an old iMac G5 17" ALS I had since 2005...and when I checked in a well-lit store, I didn't really think it was THAT reflective...so what's your take? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

No whining, no ranting, no long explanations...just tell me: are you satisfied with your glossy screen on the iMac 24"? Or is it really the horrible mirror that some say it is?

I've already ordered a brand new iMac 24" in replacement of an old iMac G5 17" ALS I had since 2005...and when I checked in a well-lit store, I didn't really think it was THAT reflective...so what's your take? Thanks a lot!

Cart before Horse?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i've never had a problem with it...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I have the 20" glossy and prefer it over a matte screen
  • Reply 4 of 16
    toymakertoymaker Posts: 30member
    I really depends where the light is coming from. I have a 20" iMac 2.4Ghz and i usually have to close the curtains to the left of the machine during the day, else I get horrible glare to the point that it's unusable.

The ceiling light however doesn't cause any problems. Remember that with the new (aluminium) iMacs, it's not just a glossy screen, but a pane of glass over the top of that. If you put it in the wrong place, it's double glare FTL.

It's definately a crisper picture than the matte finish though.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Cart before Horse?

No need to freak out; I sold my G5 because I needed some more horsepower, and am excited to get the new iMac, glossy screen or not. I just wanted some further feedback on real usage, nothing else...from what I saw in one store and also at a friend's house, the 24" looks simply stunning and the glossy screen did not bother me as much as it seems to bother some people in these forums.

In any case, your opinion is welcome to make me even happier with my purchase...or at least to give me a reality check when the machine arrives.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Its the most awesomest thing to ever happen to computer displays, hopefully in 5 years time matte screens will be a thing of the past like floppy drives.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Its not near as bad as some make it out to be. I have no where near the glare problem with this as I did with CRT displays.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    bbell52bbell52 Posts: 4member
    I work with a 17" and 20" matte screen at work and just bought the 24" glossy for home and have to say love the 24" glossy, the colors are bright, and haven't had the glare issues I thought I might.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    aussiaussi Posts: 18member
    I have it aswel and it works great!

love it,but make sure the brightness of your screen is set the the MAX, this will improve the performance of the colors!

check for your self, but some advise

when its late at night decrease the brightness of the screen because you might get a headache which I always get!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    There is a slight glare problem with glossies, but for the most part they just give you a gorgeous picture. If I can avoid it, I'll never go back to matte.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

There is a slight glare problem with glossies, but for the most part they just give you a gorgeous picture. If I can avoid it, I'll never go back to matte.

How about color accuracy for proofing graphics? Anyone using one for this purpose?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Even better since 10.5.3 update
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hope h.hope h. Posts: 10member
    The answer to your question really depends on what you plan to use the computer for. For general usage, web browsing, e-mail, games, etc. it is probably fine. For graphic design, photo work or other applications that require color management -- no, it is not going to be great.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I've had my 24-incher for five days now, and the display is stunning!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I much prefer glossy over matte.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vanzskater View Post

I much prefer glossy over matte.

"She's a witch, burn her"