Third Party Mice

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Logitech Wheel Mouse Opitcal that I use for my ibook with 9.2.1 that I really like.

However I noticed that there are no drivers for any other mice except for Kensington's. I know there is plug and play support for third party mice in osx, but what function does the right click posess? Or how does one control the speed of the scroll wheel?

Does anyone know when there will be a "usb overdrive" for osx?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I use a logitech optical wheel mouse in OSX and it works perfectly, no drivers needed, just plug it in (you don't even need to reboot).

The right mouse button brings up the contextual menu for whatever you clicked on. Its the same as holding down the left mouse button on something or control+clicking.

You can't control the mouse speed, but it seems to scroll at a good clip ...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by stepson:

<strong>

You can't control the mouse speed, but it seems to scroll at a good clip ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just tried the scroll wheel on my g4 in 10.1.1, I think it scrolled too slow
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Haha! How much faster do you want it to scroll? I think its pretty quick ... Do you mean, not necessarily speed, but how much the scroll bar moves for each movement of the bar? I guess neither are really configurable, ... at least not yet ... i was just happy it works ...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'm pretty POed that there aren't drivers for my mouse. I have a 5 button M$ explorer and only some things on it work. The scroll works fine so does left and right click but the side buttons don't do anything. I really want my forward and back buttons to work!

USB overdrive, USB overdrive, USB overdrive!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think scrolling's a little slow, but it's acceptable.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member

<strong>You can't control the mouse speed, but it seems to scroll at a good clip ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm I can control the mouse speed on my Logitech in 10.1 odd.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    For the MS Optical do you have to laod any software or is it supported directly under X ..... i assume you might have already had it installed for 9.x ?

Let us knwo please.

cheers

Adam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    So far Kensington is the ONLY 3rd party mouse vendor that has the native OSX driver....it works fine even it's still in beta.
  • Reply 9 of 11

<strong>Haha! How much faster do you want it to scroll? I think its pretty quick ... Do you mean, not necessarily speed, but how much the scroll bar moves for each movement of the bar? I guess neither are really configurable, ... at least not yet ... i was just happy it works ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The way that scrolling in OS X works currently is that it takes about as much processing power to scroll one line of text as it does a page (and no graphics acceleration is used) so an obvious performance boost is to have it scroll more than one line at a time (like Explorer does, or OmniWeb does now I think). It'd be cool if Apple added in some fuzzy logic to determine how many lines it scrolled based on how fast you spun the wheel. Barring that, an option to set how much the scroll wheel scrolls a la Tweak UI (ack) would be nice.

If every app scrolled as fast as Explorer (albeit without the screen glitches) then I'd be relatively happy.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Does anyone have any experience using the Contour Design MiniPro optical mouse in OS X? or any of Contour Design's mice for that matter?
  • Reply 11 of 11

<strong>I use a logitech optical wheel mouse in OSX and it works perfectly, no drivers needed, just plug it in (you don't even need to reboot).

The right mouse button brings up the contextual menu for whatever you clicked on. Its the same as holding down the left mouse button on something or control+clicking.

You can't control the mouse speed, but it seems to scroll at a good clip ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You might try looking/reviewing <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/carstenklapp/turbomouse/"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/carstenklapp/turbomouse/</a>;

Regards... Barry Sharp