Apple looks to extend display life with removable LED strips

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    "quick and cost effective" is not apple:

they charge 30 bucks for half of one crappy sock.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9720G/B
  • Reply 22 of 43
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's very funny. Which company does that?

I don't know, which company offers replaceable LCD lights?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't know, which company offers replaceable LCD lights?

Since this is a new invention, I would hope, none.

The question was, which company offers to upgrade your mobo?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I don't see Apple ever putting this on the outside of their case (can you really see Jobs allowing there to be extra cracks/lines in the exterior casing?)... but I could see if you remove the outer case that this invention would still be useful as a technician-replacable mechanism.

I don't think the lines would be visible in the way you are thinking. I think backlights are generally mounted to the sides or from the bottom. The ACDs have separate pieces on the sides, and a removable hatch on the bottom would not be visible in normal use.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I don't see Apple ever putting this on the outside of their case (can you really see Jobs allowing there to be extra cracks/lines in the exterior casing?)... but I could see if you remove the outer case that this invention would still be useful as a technician-replacable mechanism.

Judging from Apple's repair procedure for the new iMacs, their "technician-replaceable" backlight would probably go something like this:

Wear full bunny suit.

Take laptop into sterile cleanroom.

Take display off laptop by removing 30 tiny, easily stripped screws.

Disassemble display housing by prying until fingers are blistered. Then remove 30 more tiny, easily stripped screws to remove the panel from the housing.

Using ultra fine tweezers while looking under a microscope, slowly peel off back of LCD panel.

Piece of cake!

Do Apple or Steve understand the concept of field service? Have they seen the inside of a typical computer repair shop and the number of customers they have to service every day? I am so tired of Apple's "Fuck the technicians" attitude. I would like to see Apple's hardware designers forced to work in the same room as the repair technicians, with no walls, doors or ceilings to separate them. Put the designers in the middle of the room so that every time the designers come in to work, they would have to show their faces and walk through the technicians work areas in order to get to their desks. And every time they want to leave the room, they would have to walk through the technicians area again.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

By that reasoning, why would they do anything that reduces the machine's TCO? Why would they make the inverter a separate part?

I don't think LED backlights use inverters. That's more associated with running the fluorescent backlight bulbs.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    Quote:

Since this is a new invention, I would hope, none.

The question was, which company offers to upgrade your mobo?

LEDs are hardly a new invention, and I would hope other companies would eventually offer replaceable LEDs.

As for mobo upgrades, no one currently does that as a service, but in the case of the imac, it would make sense since the computer is implemented in the same casing as the monitor. It would be great if I can upgrade just the computer part of the imac than having to sell the whole thing and buy a new one again, Apple can easily make the mobo as replaceable as a laptop's battery, the imac's board is small enough to fit in its own casing similar to a notebooks battery pack.

If I had to choose, I would rather have Apple do an upgradeable imacs over replaceable LEDs. Both would be better of corse.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

That's five units there, not one.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's five units there, not one.

5! How about 6! Socks come in pairs, even with different colors. So 6 individuals or 3 pairs.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Wow, amazing. I love this, sadly i just got a new MBP .

Apple has certainly being aggressive with introducing new patents. Good job
  • Reply 31 of 43
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

it's 30 bucks for SIX half socks!

...and boy do i love the pink ones... nobody EVER touches my iPod!

but what to do with the leftover colours
  • Reply 32 of 43
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Wow, replaceable parts ... what a "novel" concept.

Apparently this is a by-product of the throw-away society. 20-30 years ago (and even less in the computer industry) everything came with disassembly directions and part numbers for all replacement parts.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

it's 30 bucks for SIX half socks!

...and boy do i love the pink ones... nobody EVER touches my iPod!

but what to do with the leftover colours

What I did was sell individual socks to friends of my sister and on ebay. I got my money back anyway. In the end, I don't have any left because I didn't really care for them.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What I did was sell individual socks to friends of my sister and on ebay. I got my money back anyway. In the end, I don't have any left because I didn't really care for them.

A win-win situation for you and Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

LEDs are hardly a new invention, and I would hope other companies would eventually offer replaceable LEDs.

As for mobo upgrades, no one currently does that as a service, but in the case of the imac, it would make sense since the computer is implemented in the same casing as the monitor. It would be great if I can upgrade just the computer part of the imac than having to sell the whole thing and buy a new one again, Apple can easily make the mobo as replaceable as a laptop's battery, the imac's board is small enough to fit in its own casing similar to a notebooks battery pack.

If I had to choose, I would rather have Apple do an upgradeable imacs over replaceable LEDs. Both would be better of corse.

You've apparently notonly missed this entire discussion, but the article that proceeded it.

the replacable LED strip IS an Apple inventin, nd we haven't seen it before.

Please comment on the facts of the issue.

And yes, as you've admitted, no one offers replacable mobo's, and no one is likely to do so. That's like replacing the entire comouter other than the power supply, HDD, and optical drive. That would be adsurd. Do you understand the cost of doing that?

I didn't think so.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

And yes, as you've admitted, no one offers replacable mobo's, and no one is likely to do so. That's like replacing the entire comouter other than the power supply, HDD, and optical drive. That would be adsurd. Do you understand the cost of doing that?

Hold up there. Whether or not the manufacturer officially supports it is, quite frankly, irrelavent in my opinion.

Whether or not the manufacturer chooses to use hardware which is modular enough to allow it to be technically possible, on the other hand, is centrally important. The vast majority of ATX form-factor boxes out there can have their motherboards replaced with very little pain, as long as you know what you're doing.

In my experience, if it really is just the motherboard only that's bit the dust (ie you can confirm on reference hardware that the RAM, CPU, video, etc are all still intact), and your hardware is recent enough that it's still possible to purchase a replacement MoBo which supports the same types of RAM, CPU, video, etc, then the cost of swapping out the dead motherboard for a new one is significantly less than the cost of buying a whole new computer.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    dvd_junkiedvd_junkie Posts: 113member
    The amount of Hype and BS over what Apple has done, is doing, may do etc is mind boggling.

How about some real facts rather than ridiculous drivel that is totally out of character for a closed monolithic company?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Hold up there. Whether or not the manufacturer officially supports it is, quite frankly, irrelavent in my opinion.

Whether or not the manufacturer chooses to use hardware which is modular enough to allow it to be technically possible, on the other hand, is centrally important. The vast majority of ATX form-factor boxes out there can have their motherboards replaced with very little pain, as long as you know what you're doing.

In my experience, if it really is just the motherboard only that's bit the dust (ie you can confirm on reference hardware that the RAM, CPU, video, etc are all still intact), and your hardware is recent enough that it's still possible to purchase a replacement MoBo which supports the same types of RAM, CPU, video, etc, then the cost of swapping out the dead motherboard for a new one is significantly less than the cost of buying a whole new computer.

I don't consider your opinion to be relevant. If the manufacturer doesn't support it, then it's out of their control, or support. It's irrelevant anyway, because very few people would ever OPEN their computers, much less replace the entire mobo.

Apple doesn't sell to the DIY market, so it's of no importance in this discussion.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

I don't consider your opinion to be relevant.

Cool! What you dismiss as entirely unimportant in determining where to place your purchasing dollars, is exactly what I value as being at least in the top 10 items of primary importance.

I guess I can live with accepting the fact that we're each irrelevant to each other.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Cool! What you dismiss as entirely unimportant in determining where to place your purchasing dollars, is exactly what I value as being at least in the top 10 items of primary importance.

I guess I can live with accepting the fact that we're each irrelevant to each other.

It's also a criteria that Apple will largely fail at in comparison to other PC manufacturers. Especially in their consumer lines.

Your opinion on this particular subject is likely irrelvant to Apple as well. If you're lucky they don't go out of their way to reduce replacement parts from 3rd parties.