when imac with QX9300?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
when apple will release iMac with 4 cores?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    intel might release the QX9300 late this summer, but wonder if it's not too hot to be put into the super-thin iMac anyway...?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubgirl View Post

intel might release the QX9300 late this summer, but wonder if it's not too hot to be put into the super-thin iMac anyway...?

Apple has been using Extreme edition cpus on the 24" aluminium iMac (44W/2.8GHz on the previous version and a 3.06GHz-unknown TDP on the current version).

I see no reason why they couldn't use the upcoming QX9300 in the 24" iMac.

The only thing is it price: $1,038 vs $851 (for a current EE cpu).

There are also rumors of a cheaper Q9100 (2.26GHz-35W TDP) for the end of the year.

This cpu could be used on most of Apple's mobile/hybrid computers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It'll be an option. It won't be a standard model, partly because of the cost.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    apple can put a desktop cpu and chipset in the imacs if they want to.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It'll be an option. It won't be a standard model, partly because of the cost.

I agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

apple can put a desktop cpu and chipset in the imacs if they want to.

Of course they could. But I think that given the trend to make the iMac thinner, the mobile way was a better one, not only because it requires less cooling than 65W/95W parts, but also because less cooling means less noise and as the iMac is "in your face", I think it's an important factor. For a headless desktop it wouldn't matter much because you can still put the computer under the desk or farther from your ears.

The only other option right now for a quad-core iMac would be to use LV Xeons:

Xeon L5420 12M Cache 2.50GHz 1333FSB 50W $380

Xeon L5410 12M Cache 2.33GHz 1333FSB 50W $320

Along with the cheaper 5100 MCH chipset (regular DDR2 RAM, no IDE, but integrated GbE), those could really turn the 24" iMac into a real AIO workstation, even more affordable than a QX9300-based 24" iMac.

But, maybe Apple is reserving those for the 30" iMac!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

But, maybe Apple is reserving those for the 30" iMac!

A 30-inch iMac might be nice, but a 27" is way more logical. Look at it this way:
    Budget >> Mid-range >> High-End
    * G4 iMacs: 15" >> 17" >> New 20"

* G5 iMacs: 17" >> 20" >> New 24" (for Intel)

* Intel iMacs: 20" >> 24" >> ??? (27" C2Quad)

Seems pretty straight-forward to me -- if I knew Photoshop I could paint it.

And FWIW, I'd take a ONE.x-GHz Quad-Core over a TWO.x Dual-Core any day...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I don't like how they only bump up the spec in the models with larger screens. A large screen does not really affect what components they use. They could easily put the nvidia GPU for example into the 20" model and sell it for a little more than the base model.

Not everyone has enough room for a 27" display - some machines have to fit into a computer cabinet and to limit people to having a huge display for a quad CPU would be a bad idea.

Apple really needs to get moving with their quad options in their consumer models.

I got a leaflet through my door from Dell and they are selling a 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad tower with a 1GHz fsb, 2GB Ram and a Radeon 2400 HD Pro and 19" display for just £499 including vat and delivery.

The lowest iMac is £799 and you only get 1GB Ram and 2.4GHz dual core.