Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

along these lines, how easy would it be to re-sell the ipod touch for the msrp ($300), so that i would essentially save that money on the purchace of my computer?

or, seeing as i live in a state which gives me an instant rebate by law, rather than having me mail in my form and wait, how easy/possible would it be for me to buy the two together, get the instant rebate, and then go to another apple store and return the ipod touch, and get the $300 back there? would i need a recipt to return it (or would returning it without a recipt result in me only getting store credit)?

thanks for the help

Brother! Talk about greed and sleaze!

They're giving you a bargain, be pleased at that. Why try to rip them off?

I would hope that their accounting systems are good enough to prevent that. Besides, if they give you an instant rebate, why would they then also give you an iPod without then canceling out the rebate as payment??
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Brother! Talk about greed and sleaze!

They're giving you a bargain, be pleased at that. Why try to rip them off?

I would hope that their accounting systems are good enough to prevent that. Besides, if they give you an instant rebate, why would they then also give you an iPod without then canceling out the rebate as payment??

rip them off? i already buy tons of their products; i've been a loyal apple customer for my whole life, and am a solid source of income for the company. i already own a 5.5g 80gb ipod, and i prefer the larger capacity over the better screen, so the ipod touch wouldn't be used by me anyway.

"sleaze"? no, it's thriftiness, something that i'm going to need to rely on, as college itself sure isn't cheap…
  • Reply 43 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

rip them off? i already buy tons of their products; i've been a loyal apple customer for my whole life, and am a solid source of income for the company. i already own a 5.5g 80gb ipod, and i prefer the larger capacity over the better screen, so the ipod touch wouldn't be used by me anyway.

"sleaze"? no, it's thriftiness, something that i'm going to need to rely on, as college itself sure isn't cheap?

Are you really suggesting that once you've bought enough items from a company that you are entitled to rip them off as a reward for your previously good patronage?

I'm pretty sure that you are not the first scammer they've encountered. The iPod probably can't be sold back without losing your discount, thus nulling the original contract. If you want to sell it to someone else, fine; but to try to sell it back to Apple right after they just gave you $200 for it is stealing.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you really suggesting that once you've bought enough items from a company that you are entitled to rip them off as a reward for your previously good patronage?

I'm pretty sure that you are not the first scammer they've encountered. The iPod probably can't be sold back without losing your discount, thus nulling the original contract. If you want to sell it to someone else, fine; but to try to sell it back to Apple right after they just gave you $200 for it is stealing.

i'm not the first person on this thread to suggest this; note how i quoted mshackleford in my original comment. it seems not to be too uncommon of a practice.

and i'm not going to debate ethics with you two, i merely want my questions answered. if, as you two suggested, apple would indeed catch me if i tried to return it in exchange for cash/credit, what would be the best way to re-sell the ipod touch? i'm not that familiar with the best ways to sell items online; would it be best to auction it off on ebay?

again, thanks for the help, not the insults
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:

i'm not the first person on this thread to suggest this; note how i quoted mshackleford in my original comment. it seems not to be too uncommon of a practice.

and i'm not going to debate ethics with you two, i merely want my questions answered. if, as you two suggested, apple would indeed catch me if i tried to return it in exchange for cash/credit, what would be the best way to re-sell the ipod touch? i'm not that familiar with the best ways to sell items online; would it be best to auction it off on ebay?

The point of the Back To School Rebate is obviously to sell more Macs and iPods. If you sell it back to Apple after they have already paid you for it they are not only losing the sale but also $200 extra. But, if you sell it on Craig's List or eBay you are still furthering Apple's goal to increase marketshare.

I'm not one to resell items but the two most popular seem to be Craig's List or eBay. I usually just pass my stuff on when I get new ones. Something about selling or buying used items just doesn't agree me. As an aside, I also hate bartering which is probably why I hated Morocco so much.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:

"sleaze"? no, it's thriftiness, something that i'm going to need to rely on, as college itself sure isn't cheap…

Thriftiness is when you buy cheaper products because you can't afford more, or don't buy a product at all.

If Apple gives you a bargain, you don't try to get double on it. That's not thrifty, that's sleazy. The fact that you have to ask if they check shows you know it's not right.

They're giving you $300, or an iPod, not both.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Reselling it on your own is fine. If you said that in the first place, we wouldn't have rebuked you.

You might rather try Craigslist.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macs_finest View Post

If they come out with new macbooks in the 3rd quarter do you think the student free ipod offer will still work??

The offer is likely to be for a limited time and is designed to clear inventory of computers and ipods in preparation for them to be superseded by newer models.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macs_finest View Post

If they come out with new macbooks in the 3rd quarter do you think the student free ipod offer will still work??

No.

I had some experience with this two years ago, when new iMacs were released about two or three weeks before the promo ended. Upon the release, they modified the terms and conditions of the promo to exclude the new models from the deal. And since they could only sell the new models online, the only way to still take advantage of the deal was to try and find a store with stock of the older models still remaining.

I'm very interested to see what they will do if they plan on releasing higher capacity iPod touch's next week? If, say, the 16GB moves to the $299 price point, will they keep the rebate as is, or continue selling the 8GB at a lower price and modify the promo to match that? If the latter, then it explains why they are able to offer such a "good deal" this year....
  • Reply 50 of 54
    scolronscolron Posts: 1member
    I bought a MacBook Pro five days ago and I would like to take advantage of this rebate. Does anyone know if Apple has a policy on situations like this?
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scolron View Post

I bought a MacBook Pro five days ago and I would like to take advantage of this rebate. Does anyone know if Apple has a policy on situations like this?

1) Call a different store and ask.

2) Take it in and do say you want to return it and then buy it again with the deal. Their is a 10% restocking fee, but the manager may wave it as it's not good business to do so and they still get to move an iPod.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    gtihanigtihani Posts: 2member
    I purchased a 24" iMac on Saturday, went to the Apple store on Tuesday. Asked the manager nicely and he let me return and repurchase my iMac without restocking fee along with an iPod Touch. The rebate check is already in the mail!

I think the key is to ask nicely and not demand for it. Technically, they don't have to give it to you...

Good luck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Call a different store and ask.

2) Take it in and do say you want to return it and then buy it again with the deal. Their is a 10% restocking fee, but the manager may wave it as it's not good business to do so and they still get to move an iPod.

• Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtihani View Post

I purchased a 24" iMac on Saturday, went to the Apple store on Tuesday. Asked the manager nicely and he let me return and repurchase my iMac without restocking fee along with an iPod Touch. The rebate check is already in the mail!

I think the key is to ask nicely and not demand for it. Technically, they don't have to give it to you...

Good luck!

I bought mine 3 days before the promo started, but it was online. Do you think if I called them they would do a similar situation? Just refund me my money and then reorder it online or over the phone?

Should have waited the extra 3 days.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vanzskater View Post

I bought mine 3 days before the promo started, but it was online. Do you think if I called them they would do a similar situation? Just refund me my money and then reorder it online or over the phone?

Should have waited the extra 3 days.

dont worry about it. i bought my iMac 14 days on the nose before the promo started. i called up my apple store on the 14th day and asked them if i could get the free ipod and needless to say im listening to my brand new 100 dollar 16gb ipod touch as we speak.

they told me they have a grace period for situations like ours. dont hesitate to ask and lose out on this offer!!