Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday officially kicked off its largest back-to-school promo in the company's history, offering a free 8GB iPod touch to students and educational staffers who purchase a qualifying Mac.



More specifically, the promotion offers a $299 rebate that cancels out the price of an 8GB iPod touch, though the rebate can also be applied towards the purchase of the 16GB ($399) or 32GB ($499) model. Alternatively, participants can elect to receive a free 8GB iPod nano for the reduced rebate value of $199.



In order to qualify for the offer, the iPod and Mac system must be purchased at the same time and appear on the same receipt. Apple lists qualifying Mac systems as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro. The Mac mini, previous-generation 17” iMac, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, 4GB iPod nano, and refurbished products are not eligible.



The products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.



Faculty and staff of higher education institutions and students attending or accepted into a higher education institution are eligible. Any employee of a public or private K–12 institution or Qualified Homeschoolers in the United States or District of Columbia are also eligible.







Additionally, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible, as are PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers.



A full rundown of the Terms and Conditions [pdf] are available on Apple's website. The promotion, which was first revealed by AppleInsider last week, will run June 3 - September 15, or "while supplies last."
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Alternatively, participants can elect to receive a free 8GB iPod nano for the reduced rebate value of $199.



    This $199 part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I think the parents of college bound students would simply prefer a discount on the purchase of a MacBook instead of a free Touch since the majority of students already have some sort of iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    This $199 part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I think the parents of college bound students would simply prefer a discount on the purchase of a MacBook instead of a free Touch since the majority of students already have some sort of iPod.





    It's been a highly successful promo many years running, so I think it makes sense. Why would apple give another $200 or $300 off a macbook? That would seriously screw with their margins. Giving away a nano isn't actually costing Apple $200, and the iPod Touch probably isn't costing them $200 either.



    That's even before you consider that not everyone sends in their rebate form.



    And that's before you consider that it helps extend the iPod's market and mindshare, and (in the case of the touch) extend the reach of their new mobile OS. When I bought my MBP last summer, I gave the nano to my mom. She quite enjoys it.



    You're asking Apple to make a very poor financial and business decision.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ktappektappe Posts: 758member
    Including school board members is wise, as they're the decision makers who might be able to bring Macs back into the schools (or keep them there). Apple should do much more targeted discounting of their products to board members, along with "trial deployments" of labs full of Macs. Get that foot in the door.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Only the US? WHAT? Im so dissapointed.



    What are the chances of this offer being extended to the UK?
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    This $199 part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I think the parents of college bound students would simply prefer a discount on the purchase of a MacBook instead of a free Touch since the majority of students already have some sort of iPod.



    Here's why: Four years ago when I took my oldest daughter to college, I called ahead to see if Macs would work on their network. The college IT department didn't know, because it hadn't been tried. Two years ago, daughter #2 went to the same college and I was seeing a fair number of MacBooks, and Macs in the labs. This year, my son is going to the same college, and he says that ALL of his friends (many from die-hard Windows families) are buying MacBooks.



    They're not flocking to Mac because of processor speed or price. Dangle a free iPod in front of a high school student, and they'll follow you anywhere (didn't mean that in a creepy sense).
  • Reply 6 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 18,814member
    No MBAir?





    PS: Just checked the Apple website -- MBA is included too.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maximilian88 View Post


    Only the US? WHAT? Im so dissapointed.



    What are the chances of this offer being extended to the UK?



    Yeah I was hoping (still am) for it to be in the UK
  • Reply 8 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    When I bought my MBP last summer, I gave the nano to my mom. She quite enjoys it.



    I'm sure your mother is quite proud of you for buying your own MacBook and not burdening her with the expense.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I'm sure your mother is quite proud of you for buying your own MacBook and not burdening her with the expense.



    Ummm, OK. not sure what that's all about. I'm 30 years old and I have a real job, so I would certainly hope I'm buying my own MBP.



    The point was that even though I didn't personally need the iPod, someone else in my immediate family did, and that helps Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,742member
    If the rebate had included the iPhone, I would have been all over it--budget be damned. I dunno, though. A touch would be cool, but I already have an iPod and I don't think I am going to carry around a phone and a touch all the time...

    Oh well!
  • Reply 11 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    Ummm, OK. not sure what that's all about. I'm 30 years old and I have a real job, so I would certainly hope I'm buying my own MBP.



    The point was that even though I didn't personally need the iPod, someone else in my immediate family did, and that helps Apple.





    Oh, my mistake, I thought we were on the subject of back to school promos.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    Ummm, OK. not sure what that's all about. I'm 30 years old and I have a real job, so I would certainly hope I'm buying my own MBP.



    The point was that even though I didn't personally need the iPod, someone else in my immediate family did, and that helps Apple.



    Actually, it doesn't help Apple all that much in the short term. Unless your mother buys tons of songs from iTunes. Or would have bought a Zune. Or buys several accessories...



    But it can help a great deal in the long term if she loves the iPod and is involved in future computer buying decisions (directly or indirectly) and lets that warm halo influence her.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    I don't really understand why they excluded the iPod Classic... Well I have a few theories.



    Theory 1) That's the one I wanted and Apple already knows I'm going to buy the MBP regardless of whether or not I get a freebie.



    Theory 2) They don't plan to update that level of iPod anytime soon, but do plan to update the other two levels, so they're clearing out inventory.



    Theory 3) People will just buy the iPod Touch and be forced to sell it for less than retail value thus pushing more of them into the market.



    I am going along with the sale idea.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Actually, it doesn't help Apple all that much in the short term. Unless your mother buys tons of songs from iTunes. Or would have bought a Zune. Or buys several accessories...



    But it can help a great deal in the long term if she loves the iPod and is involved in future computer buying decisions (directly or indirectly) and lets that warm halo influence her.



    This year in the case of the touch, it will also expand that user base, meaning more apps and more web pages designed for touch/iPhone. How could having one more iPod being used by a customer NOT help apple?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aminorsixth View Post


    I don't really understand why they excluded the iPod Classic... Well I have a few theories.



    Theory 1) That's the one I wanted and Apple already knows I'm going to buy the MBP regardless of whether or not I get a freebie.



    Theory 2) They don't plan to update that level of iPod anytime soon, but do plan to update the other two levels, so they're clearing out inventory.



    Theory 3) People will just buy the iPod Touch and be forced to sell it for less than retail value thus pushing more of them into the market.



    I am going along with the sale idea.



    I think the classic is pretty much done after this year...so we hear...



    K
  • Reply 16 of 54
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Actually, it doesn't help Apple all that much in the short term. Unless your mother buys tons of songs from iTunes. Or would have bought a Zune. Or buys several accessories...



    But it can help a great deal in the long term if she loves the iPod and is involved in future computer buying decisions (directly or indirectly) and lets that warm halo influence her.



    Yes, she has bought songs from iTunes.



    She's already a mac person, so it does not affect her computer purchases. She does, however, have a couple friends who bought iPods after seeing hers. The halo around her influences others.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Oh, my mistake, I thought we were on the subject of back to school promos.



    Umm, we are. It was an edu purchase. I am also a part-time law school student.



    I have no idea what the reasons for the unnecessary snark are.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    Umm, we are. It was an edu purchase. I am also a part-time law school student.



    I have no idea what the reasons for the unnecessary snark are.



    Again my mistake, it never occurred to me. As a parent paying for all of the college expenses. I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post


    I think the classic is pretty much done after this year...so we hear...



    K



    Oh I hope they maintain a simple level iPod with loads of space. I really don't want to sacrifice the GBs.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maximilian88 View Post


    Only the US? WHAT? Im so dissapointed.



    What are the chances of this offer being extended to the UK?



    The UK version tends to appear a little later in the summer. (Though someone may wish to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Sign In or Register to comment.