Macbooks new or used?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok so I've got my tax incentive check and I'm looking to buy a mac again. Been a year since I've owned one.

I was originally thinking about buying a used Macbook, since they can be found on ebay for around $650-900. I don't need anything really speedy but I really want something that can run Final Cut Pro and all the pro apps here and there. I also want a built in superdrive and a decent sized hard drive and amount of ram.

I don't and can't spend over $1100 on this machine and prefer to spend less. But I was looking at new macbooks and they seems pretty nice, but they don't come with the superdrive at that price. Which in my opinion is insane that a laptop at that price doesn't have a DVD burner in it standard.

I hear there may be new macbooks coming out at WWDC and that they will be aluminum like the macbook pros. I like that idea, but what are the chances they will all come standard with a superdrive and still be priced starting at $1100?

I guess all I really need to do is wait till Monday to see what is announced. But I'm wondering if I'm better off a used macbook or waiting for a new one.

Anything else a new macbook may have that would give it an advantage over a decent used one? Any chance it might have that big new multitouch trackpad the Air has?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    anklosauranklosaur Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I don't and can't spend over $1100 on this machine and prefer to spend less.....

....I guess all I really need to do is wait till Monday to see what is announced. But I'm wondering if I'm better off a used macbook or waiting for a new one.

I would certainly wait for possible Monday announcements (it's only a couple of days) but the best bet for your money is probably this MacBook 2.4 White referbished unit from the Apple store. It's got all the features you ask for and I doubt you'll get a new MacBook anytime soon at the price point you want with features you ask for. Many people report good results with refurbished units and frankly I'd rather pay a bit more for a refurb than take my chances on Ebay.

Just my 2 cents

Ankly
  • Reply 2 of 2
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I'd hold fire until monday, just in case. A friend of mine has a refurb MacBook, it looks absolutely fine and runs just like new