Apple will soon be divided in two (hw/sw)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For a very long time I have known that Apple will be divided in two, but have waited with the news but feel the time now is right to let you all in on it.

It will be two separate companies if stock holders vote for it. One unit will continue to focus on hardware (Apple) and one unit will focus on software (Mac).

Stock holders will get an equal share of the two companies and growth will be immense both in terms of market share and shareholders value.

Timing

This will probably happen by the time Apple release Snow Leopard in 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Nonsense.

The integration of hardware and software is the technology strategy that Apple employs, and to abandon that would destroy both alleged halves of the company and make it into two mediocre companies.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlosantoso View Post

For a very long time I have known that Apple will be divided in two, but have waited with the news but feel the time now is right to let you all in on it.

It will be two separate companies if stock holders vote for it. One unit will continue to focus on hardware (Apple) and one unit will focus on software (Mac).

Stock holders will get an equal share of the two companies and growth will be immense both in terms of market share and shareholders value.

Timing

This will probably happen by the time Apple release Snow Leopard in 2009.

You missed your meds again.............
  • Reply 3 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Nonsense.

The integration of hardware and software is the technology strategy that Apple employs, and to abandon that would destroy both alleged halves of the company and make it into two mediocre companies.

Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

You missed your meds again.............

And apparently.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    While I definitely think it won't happen, I do reckon Apple could be a successful software-only company if they decided to go down that route.

As for hardware, without software integration their hardware isn't that great. It's good, sure, but not enough to make them anything special if all they were was just another company in a sea of many.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

While I definitely think it won't happen, I do reckon Apple could be a successful software-only company if they decided to go down that route.

As for hardware, without software integration their hardware isn't that great. It's good, sure, but not enough to make them anything special if all they were was just another company in a sea of many.

That's the point! Without software integration NO hardware is great. That's one big reason why Microsoft is a sinking ship right now. They have such a vast infrastructure of third-party manufacturers and hardware, didn't exert enough control, and now they're struggling to keep up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Apple has *nothing* to offer as a software only company. The magic is in the integration.