Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    OMG we're so spoiled in US.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    renerrener Posts: 8member
    Does Apple Inside own shares of Rogers?

Why not report on them accurately? Why not compare Rogers' rates with other iPhone carriers? Why not try to help out your Canadian readers?

Fido is not Rogers' partner. Rogers owns Fido, which is why they are a GSM monopoly in Canada, and engage in all sorts of anti-competitive practices, without any government oversight or consumer redress.

These plans are hideous.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    tuncertuncer Posts: 6member
    Wow, Rogers takes a dump on Canadian customers yet again. No wonder Rogers is nicknamed Robers...

Unfortunately I'm with Rogers...bring on T-Mobile Canada!
  • Reply 24 of 146
    whuzzawhuzza Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

add in the cost of mobileme.com as well, because you'll want to sync all your stuff with your computer too.

Not really. I'm using Google Mail and Google Calendar with my iPhone today. I don't really need MobileMe, especially if it costs $99/year.

My iPhone uses IMAP to access Google Mail. So e-mail is always accessible through the Web or my phone.

The calendar syncs with Google Calendar (through Spanning Sync) when I charge my iPhone every night. It's not as slick as MobileMe, but it's cheaper at $25/year.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    I hate this company so much!

I thought Apple demanded unlimited data plans?!

What a downer.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    OH. MY. GOD!!!

Rogers you incredible bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so f-ing happy I'm moving to the US in September. If I wasn't though I wouldn't even consider purchasing an iPhone with these plans.

Fellow Canadians lets make a stand here and now and not get locked into a horrible contract with Rogers.

This is absolutely, unequivocally unacceptable.
  • Reply 27 of 146
    First off, $60 for a complete plan is in the ballpark for Canada. I'm not happy about it but that is what friends who have owned treos have had to pay.

The real problem is coverage. Canada's old telephone companies are provincially and/or regionally based. 15 years ago they formed an loose partnership to better manage long distance and a new thing - the Internet. This alliance/partnership has long since faded.

Rogers is a relative upstart evolving out of the cable TV business. And while they have a presence in all provinces - making them the only real national company - there coverage outside larger cities is sad. Where I live it is considered a joke. That is not an exaggeration.

In addition to the old companies and Rogers there are a bunch of smaller companies. None of these smaller companies have there own network of cell towers. All carries are required by law to rent out usage of there cell networks to their competition. Fido, and most other non-traditional companies, use the Rogers network.

I have always felt that this situation has presented a dilemma for Apple. Do we go with Rogers and have one national carrier for the iPhone in Canada - or do we try to manage relationships with a bunch of regional (and far better established) companies? In the largest country on the planet with a population of 33 million (less than California) the answer was a no-brainer.

I have used Macs since 1985. As do all my kids. I have run three different Mac-based businesses. I am also am Apple stockholder.

I will not be buying an iPhone because if I go more than 30 miles from my home I will have no coverage. Fewer bars in fewer places.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    What a f*cking joke. I mean really. But at least you Canadians get healthcare ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rener View Post

Why not report on them accurately? Why not compare Rogers' rates with other iPhone carriers? Why not try to help out your Canadian readers?

The Rogers/Fido partnership was incorrect, but I see no reason why AI should compare and contrast the plans from Rogers in Canada to AT&T in the US to 02 in the UK, etc. I don't recall them doing that yet for any carrier, so why now? What would be the point of it? Different countries have different costs depending on terrestrial size, per capita coverage, per capita density, and government support. There is also things like free incoming calls in the EU that make it impossible to compare to countries that account for incoming minutes.

If you want to compare Rogers with other carriers in Canada, the US, or elsewhere feel free. I'm sure there are plenty here who would be interested (me included) in seeing how much Canadian cell service really sucks in comparison, but please try to cover all the bases and be objective in your assessment.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

Title: Unconcievable

This is absolutely, unequivocally unacceptable.

I am under the impression that 400MB for $60 is cheap for Rogers. Please correct me if wrong.

PS: While un- and in- mean the same thing they have different origins. the first is Germanic and the latter is Latin. 'Unconceivable' is an inconventional spelling for 'inconceivable'.
  • Reply 31 of 146
    krafixkrafix Posts: 2member
    Don't forget: Evenings start at 9pm without extra
  • Reply 32 of 146
    AI has reported "incorrectly" on Rogers before:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_canada.html

Every little piece of BS disinformation hurts the cause for reasonable data in Canada because it may make just one more person think it's no longer a problem, or Rogers isn't the GSM monopoly, or whatever.

And AI doesn't have to post anything, of course, but if posting something would be of great benefit to part of their readership, then why not? Heck, get Dilger to post it. He's on fire lately.

Forget Spain, Prince. Get into the Rogers BS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Rogers/Fido partnership was incorrect, but I see no reason why AI should compare and contrast the plans from Rogers in Canada to AT&T in the US to 02 in the UK, etc. I don't recall them doing that yet for any carrier, so why now? What would be the point of it? Different countries have different costs depending on terrestrial size, per capita coverage, per capita density, and government support. There is also things like free incoming calls in the EU that make it impossible to compare to countries that account for incoming minutes.

• Reply 33 of 146
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Which countries are going to be selling the iPhone without a plan, unlocked? I am almost tempted to pay $700 for the iPhone and then use it as I wish, without EDGE or 3G data.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:

I am under the impression that 400MB for $60 is cheap for Rogers. Please correct me if wrong.

PS: While un- and in- mean the same thing they have different origins. the first is Germanic and the latter is Latin. 'Unconceivable' is an inconventional spelling for 'inconceivable'.

Yeah, I have no problem with the data side of things. If the $60 offered 200 min and 200 txt (not 150 and 75) I would be very happy to take it. It looks like I might have to bend over for the $75 plan.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rothmans View Post

In the largest country on the planet with a population of 33 million (less than California) the answer was a no-brainer.

That would be Russia. 17,098,242 sq/km vs 9,984,670 sq/km
  • Reply 36 of 146
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

No, it isn't cheap. Rogers/Fido offer other 3G "unlimited" date/browsing packages for $7, $11, $15 and $20. For that, you keep your existing voice plans and add the 3G data package on top. The iPhone packages throw your existing voice plans out. Many people have grandfathered voice plans or EPP plans for negotiated retention plans. These people are SOL with the iPhone. They have to give up their existing voice plans and go with a canned voice+data plan that potentially gives them fewer minutes and certainly fewer voice side features (like call display).

Their other unlimited 3G data plans will not be offered on their iPhones.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Not surprised, as Rogers has a stranglehold on GSM in Canada. Come on emerging carriers, get your #$%@ together and build on the new spectrum you spent billions on.

I guess if I want an iPhone, it the v1 unlocked one for me.
  • Reply 38 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No, it isn't cheap. Rogers/Fido offer other 3G "unlimited" date/browsing packages for $7, $11, $15 and $20.

That makes no sense unless you quantify it. Id est, why would I choose the $20/month unlmited data plan if their an unlimited data plan for $7.
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:

That makes no sense unless you quantify it. Id est, why would I choose the $20/month unlmited data plan if their an unlimited data plan for $7.

Because its BS, and deliberately confusing BS.

The other "unlimited" plans are not unlimited, they only work under an incredibly complex series of conditions like: only on feature phones, not smartphones. Only on WAP browsers, not real browsers. Only on Rogers' branded browsers. Only on links from Rogers' page. Etc.

They've also experimented with an ever-increasingly confusing set of plans for Blackberry or Nokia unlimited email but not web, or vice versa.

EPIC FAIL.
  • Reply 40 of 146
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:

$7 is for unlimited WAP browsing, that's it. Not a very good feature, IMO. At least with the iPhone plan I know whatever I do on the device will be covers and I won't go over the allotted data provided.