AT&T says original iPhones can be deactivated and used as WiFi iPods

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 77
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    So does this mean I can buy an old model iphone, follow the unlocking instructions from ATT and use it on T-Mobile?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post


    The unbelievable arrogance of AT&T here is truly beyond any sane, non-obscene response.



    Where do they come off, INFORMING people that they're "allowed" to use the retired iPhone as a non-phone device? We need to be TOLD this? And who the hell is AT&T but a big, uncreative, slovenly -- and I might add, phone-tapping -- leech, sucking off Apple's hard work and creativity?



    Not that Apple's been conducting itself flawlessly in all this, either. Their continued head-in-the-sand (I could say elsewhere) attitude toward the very CONCEPT of a phone being unlocked is winning them no friends.



    It's enough for me to go around offering free unlocking to iPhone users -- "retired" phone or not -- just on principle. Come join me and my unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. You might get screwed by them, too, but it's a lot less painful, it costs less, and (as far as we know) you're not giving money to a (more-than-normal) criminal corporation that shucks and jives for the NSA at the drop of a hat.







    Like I said . . . I'm refraining from expressing the REAL rage . . .



  • Reply 62 of 77
    Can you still use the 1st gen Iphone as a phone, and not just an Ipod once you've upgraded to the 3g service? Can you swap the sim between the two as I do with other phones, and still make calls on both?
  • Reply 63 of 77
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    Jeez, dude...

    With everything from the war, to gas prices, to global warming, to the dismantling of our constitution, and THIS is what you choose to top your 'things to be really really angry about' list?



    Complaining about the iPhone is not going to get you thrown into Gitmo indefinitely. The worst Apple could do to you if you whine about their products (or partners) is to send you to Redmond (AAAAIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!)
  • Reply 64 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post


    Here's a question I have about using an old iPhone as a Wi-Fi iPod.



    What is the cell phone antenna doing when the phone isn't connected to service? Is it trying to find a signal? Or is it just off? Because I don't want it active in any way if I were to use it as a Wi-Fi iPod, because that causes health damage from radiation. If it's a Wi-Fi iPod, I want there to be nothing cell-phone about it at all. What happens to the antenna?





    It signals iTunes, dotMac, MobileMe, AppleCare, Apple.com, etc, to send you non-stop emails.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilles_deleuze View Post


    Why not just sell it off?



    I unloaded my one-year-old iPhone on the Argentine eBay variant couple of weeks ago for $400.



    Don't expect the second-hand price to drop substantially past July 11th as the non-contract iPhone 3G will still command over $500.



    I live in canada, and there's so many people who can get the new phones imported from china for cheap cheap and sell em for 400 for the 16 gb version. you've got to be crazy to pay 500 for anything less.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:

    it costs less, and (as far as we know) you're not giving money to a (more-than-normal) criminal corporation that shucks and jives for the NSA at the drop of a hat.



    Quit complaining and just pay for my war.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noriyori View Post


    wow. when I first read this I thought I had accidentally clicked on the link for the onion feed.





    +1
  • Reply 68 of 77
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post


    So does this mean I can buy an old model iphone, follow the unlocking instructions from ATT and use it on T-Mobile?





    Don't expect AT&T to teach you how to do it. Search for it on the net. It really is very simple.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    I see that this thread is now almost two years old. This mostly refers to the 1st Gen iPhone being used as an iPod Touch. I'm about to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS. I want to be able to upgrade the iPhone OS as well as have all functionality that I have now, with the exception of the phone related functions. Functions like making and receiving calls, SMS, 3G (and Edge). Will my 3G without a SIM card function as a surrogate iPod Touch?
  • Reply 70 of 77
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartlmay View Post


    I see that this thread is now almost two years old. This mostly refers to the 1st Gen iPhone being used as an iPod Touch. I'm about to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS. I want to be able to upgrade the iPhone OS as well as have all functionality that I have now, with the exception of the phone related functions. Functions like making and receiving calls, SMS, 3G (and Edge). Will my 3G without a SIM card function as a surrogate iPod Touch?



    You have to keep the existing SIM in your iPhone in order for it to continue to function (the SIM card itself won't allow calls, etc.). When you get your new iPhone, get a new SIM as well.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post


    You have to keep the existing SIM in your iPhone in order for it to continue to function (the SIM card itself won't allow calls, etc.). When you get your new iPhone, get a new SIM as well.



    You didn't answer the question. The phone functions weren't what was desired.



    An answer to the question: Just pull the SIM, preferably when the device is off (not just sleeping, off), and replace the empty door. The device will work as a thick Touch, except that it gives you a "no sim" warning on startup, and a "No SIM" in place of the carrier name in the upper right corner. So far it seems to work OK. The only wireless data you will get is WiFi.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    You didn't answer the question. The phone functions weren't what was desired.



    An answer to the question: Just pull the SIM, preferably when the device is off (not just sleeping, off), and replace the empty door. The device will work as a thick Touch, except that it gives you a "no sim" warning on startup, and a "No SIM" in place of the carrier name in the upper right corner. So far it seems to work OK. The only wireless data you will get is WiFi.



    Actually, yes I did answer the question. Apple's support pages say that in order to keep upgrading the iOS in the iPhone, you need to keep a SIM in the iPhone that was previously activated for that iPhone. I specifically checked for this before upgrading to a 3Gs last Summer because I didn't want to turn my iPhone into a brick.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406


    To re-activate an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:



    Insert a SIM card from the carrier with which you used your phone. Note: If you are using the same carrier, you can use the activated SIM card from your new device to do this. If your device is unlocked by your carrier, you can use any SIM card.

    Connect the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.

    iTunes will then activate the device. You can remove the SIM card at this point and use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.



  • Reply 73 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post


    Actually, yes I did answer the question. Apple's support pages say that in order to keep upgrading the iOS in the iPhone, you need to keep a SIM in the iPhone that was previously activated for that iPhone. I specifically checked for this before upgrading to a 3Gs last Summer because I didn't want to turn my iPhone into a brick.



    That's a good point, but so important that I don't understand why it was left out of your previous reply. Without it, it really does look like a non-answer answer.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    He-he. Joint efforts make iTouch tschlack, don't they? Well, it never was valuable product after all...
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    You didn't answer the question. The phone functions weren't what was desired.



    An answer to the question: Just pull the SIM, preferably when the device is off (not just sleeping, off), and replace the empty door. The device will work as a thick Touch, except that it gives you a "no sim" warning on startup, and a "No SIM" in place of the carrier name in the upper right corner. So far it seems to work OK. The only wireless data you will get is WiFi.



    You can continue to upgrade the OS without a SIMM. My iPhone 3G is running 3.1.3 and hasn't had a SIMM in it for 6 mos since I switched back to using my blackberry. Only the phone functionality of the OS will not get updated.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post


    Well, given that my original intent with boycotting AT&T has to do with their involvement in warrantless wiretapping, which ties into the whole "our freedoms are all going down the toilet" theme, I'd say it stems from a pretty valid reason.



    Also, please show me where I implied that this is at the top of my list of things to be angry about. Or where it's stated that one can only be mad about one thing at any one time. Thanks.



    How many things are you mad about?
  • Reply 77 of 77
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartlmay View Post


    I see that this thread is now almost two years old.

    ...



    Whew, and here I thought I went insane for a second. Terrible confusion averted.
Sign In or Register to comment.