Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's true: My wife is very rich. </end sarcasm>

No- just a bad shopper!
  • Reply 42 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

He means- It one of the SLOOOOWEST running MACS ever.

And that's not a complaint but a fact.

That person said "lowest selling" (there was no "S" in the word), which is almost impossible now, the lowest selling would be one of the models in the mid-90's.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That person said "lowest selling" (there was no "S" in the word), which is almost impossible now, the lowest selling would be one of the models in the mid-90's.

You are misquoting him. He said "ONE OF THE......" not the lowest selling. Good attempt at distortion but you're not being accurate.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:

You are misquoting him. He said "ONE OF THE......" not the lowest selling. Good attempt at distortion but you're not being accurate.

Even with that, I'm pretty sure it's far away from even "one of the". In the mid-90's they had many more models and less than a quarter the total sales to divide more models against.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:

No- just a bad shopper!

Really? What should his wife have bought?
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:

Even with that, I'm pretty sure it's far away from even "one of the". In the mid-90's they had many more models and less than a quarter the total sales to divide more models against.

Whatever. Are you a lawyer? Methinks you nitpick every word, grammatical error, nuance, etc. on here endlessly to win your arguments. This is a simple discussion board not a post-graduate debate forum.

Using the word "ever" is currently often used as a colloquiolism and should not always be taken literately- he was merely making a point! Good grief!
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datamodel View Post

Really? What should his wife have bought?

I don't know- I'm not her "personal shopper".
  • Reply 48 of 76
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:

But you know it shouldn't have been an Air? How did you know?

• Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

Whatever. Are you a lawyer? Methinks you nitpick every word, grammatical error, nuance, etc. on here endlessly to win your arguments. This is a simple discussion board not a post-graduate debate forum.

Using the word "ever" is currently often used as a colloquiolism and should not be alwaystaken literately- he was merely making a point! Good grief!

The part I don't like is throwing in every half-assed statement they can think of to make a pretty weak point. A better argument leaves out the spurious statements. If it's really a bad machine, it should be easy to say so without ridiculous hyperbole or taking several paragraphs to delve into specs minutia like a trekkie talks technobabble.

From the tone that I read from the people arguing the Air is bad, it almost sounds like they're complaining that Apple is taking away other options. That, and prospective buyers are told they must be stupid if they're buying anything like it because "it can't do anything", and I really don't see the point in doing that. How are Air buyers hurting other people? How are these Air-gripers really benefiting anyone? It's almost as if they're arguing for a one-size-fits-all world.

Quote:

Really? You're almost there when you say it's not a good fit for their needs, without even knowing what they need.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why? How? Because it doesn't work for you, perhaps?

My wife has one, as does a colleague at work, and they both can't live without it.

Why do you feel the need to devalue things from which others get value.

Because for some people the only way to feel good is to make others feel bad. It's a very primitive and ignorant attitude to have but it's nothing new.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Using the word "ever" is currently often used as a colloquiolism and should not always be taken literately- he was merely making a point! Good grief!

The thing is, when you make so many mistakes it is difficult to take anything you

say seriously. In the quote above, you write that something should not be taken

"literately". I think you meant "literally", but I cannot be certain. You seem to be

making the argument that being illiterate has no importance, so maybe the spelling

was correct.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datamodel View Post

But you know it shouldn't have been an Air? How did you know?

I never said "it shouldn't have been an Air." All I said was that she was a bad shopper. You don't have to have a PHD or be a CPA to realize that anything that gets devalued by 1/6th of its initial cost in 5 months is not a smart purchase. That's double the standard rate of depreciation of a 5 year write down- you do the math. And that goes for any purchase: Apple or otherwise.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The thing is, when you make so many mistakes it is difficult to take anything you

say seriously. In the quote above, you write that something should not be taken

"literately". I think you meant "literally", but I cannot be certain. You seem to be

making the argument that being illiterate has no importance, so maybe the spelling

was correct.

So now we have a 4th of July spelling bee competition.

Have another hot dog.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

The part I don't like is throwing in every half-assed statement they can think of to make a pretty weak point. A better argument leaves out the spurious statements. If it's really a bad machine, it should be easy to say so without ridiculous hyperbole or taking several paragraphs to delve into specs minutia like a trekkie talks technobabble.

From the tone that I read from the people arguing the Air is bad, it almost sounds like they're complaining that Apple is taking away other options. That, and prospective buyers are told they must be stupid if they're buying anything like it because "it can't do anything", and I really don't see the point in doing that. How are Air buyers hurting other people? How are these Air-gripers really benefiting anyone? It's almost as if they're arguing for a one-size-fits-all world.

Really? You're almost there when you say it's not a good fit for their needs, without even knowing what they need.

One again you misquote- I never said "it's not a good fit for their needs".

Stop misquoting people- it's a very bad trait.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

So now we have a 4th of July spelling bee competition.

Have another hot dog.

Precision in language is essential in communicating ideas and opinions. I and others

have tried to show you this. You can choose to learn this lesson or you can choose

to react defensively as if you have nothing in life to learn.

Also don't assume everyone loves hot dogs the way you do.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

The same model is still available on refurb for $2,699.00.

Still listed for $2,699. I think they're going to have trouble selling those.

Go to http://store.apple.com and click on Refurbished Mac.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

One again you misquote- I never said "it's not a good fit for their needs".

Stop misquoting people- it's a very bad trait.

You may not have said it directly, at least in this thread, but your tone says it.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Real world tests confirmed an SSD drive offered no significant benefits over a hard drive, just a waste of money for a small amount of storage. Still a useless computer.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Real world tests confirmed an SSD drive offered no significant benefits over a hard drive, just a waste of money for a small amount of storage. Still a useless computer.

The tests for HDDs are never as throughout as they should be. I think it was BareFeats at actually did soem HDDs testing based on different capacities. For instance if you have a 300GB HDD @ 15k RPMs and 1TB HDD @ 7.2K RPMs, we'd say that the 15K RPM drive was faster. But if we fill each drive with 200GB of data the 300GB drive is now 66% full and the 1TB drive is only 20% full. Since the data is stored on the disk from the outside of the platter (where the it's spinning faster) to the inside (where it's spinning slower) read and writes slow down considerably, making the more expensive, lower capacity drive pointless if you are going to fill it past x%.

So, If we were to fill the 80GB 1.8" HDD with 60GB of data making it 80% full?which is easy to do these days?and fill the SSD with the same data, leaving 4GB free for swap files, would the HDD still be on par with the SSD in terms of read and writes? I don't know but I'd like to know.

Also, the tests showed no significant speed or power benefits. The solid state of the drive has plenty of benefits as it theoretically will be less prone to damage or wear and tear as it has no moving parts. On the flip-side, it's also less tried and true then HDDs.

And as for your comment about it being a useless computer, I hope you are only speaking for yourself, int hat you have no use the MBA, but understand how it can be the best choice for others. I'm sure that is what you meant.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

No- just a bad shopper!

1) Following up on your typically moronic style (I have looked at quite a few of your posts prior to making this judgment), this is yet another instance of your making invalid assumptions.

In this case, it happens to be about someone's purchase behavior: fwiw to you and your pea-brain, she did not buy it. She was given it.

2) I dare say that I detect a trace of misogyny in that comment.