Playing Mac-Hosted Media on iPhone Wirelessly?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
i'm about to buy a 3g and i was wondering if there was any feature, whether third- or first-party, which would allow you to access media on a mac, via bluetooth or airport, and play it on the iphone's screen, somewhat akin to sharing itunes libraries across computers. this would be a handy feature for me, because i don't plan on storing much in terms of audio or video files on my iphone's hard drive, but will have a lot of files on my macbook, and would like to have it possible to replace my current 5.5g 80gb ipod with the iphone, in terms of watching or listening to things around my house/near my computer. if i was to go on a trip for a few days, i'd be fine with putting a few gb of video on the iphone, but, for the sake of convenience, it'd be really nice if i could just host my files on my main hard drive instead of transferring them via usb each time i wanted to watch something new.

so, is there any way to get this feature or something resembling it on the iphone? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If you're looking for a "portable tv" experience, then I'm sure someone, possibly Apple, will develop software that can make this possible.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    but is there anything out there now/being developed that's known to have these qualities?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Remote buddy does that. Google's telekinesis is free, and might do it too.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Remote buddy does that. Google's telekinesis is free, and might do it too.

thanks for pointing that out! that's exactly the thing i wanted. according to the telekenisis page, the programs use edge to transmit data, and therefore maxes out at around 100 kbps transfer. i keep my rips of my tv seasons at about 600 kbps, which, in an mp4 file, translates to around 60 kbps that needs to be transferred. thus, the system is perfect!