Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro casing design revealed

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    zevotzevot Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Don't rule out the 8800M GTS. Apple used it in the iMac. No reason why they wouldn't use it in the MBP...

are you serious?? excuse my ignorance but in a 1 inch enclosure???

unless mb they want the lappy to be burned in ash once u start playin some game??

that's too hot...buddy..IMHO(cuz i m not an engineer in any sense, just a mathematician\)
  • Reply 82 of 95
    There are 8800M GTSs in 17" notebooks just a few fractions of an inch thicker than the MacBook Pro. I hate to break it to you but Apple's "1 inch rule" is pretty detrimental to the performance we receive, 1" is below a critical thickness that seems to render all but mid range graphics gear unusuable in the MacBook Pro, it'd only take a slight increase to allow for graphics cards 3x faster than the current.

If they thicken the MacBook Pro and taper the edges to make it appear thinner, a la the MacBook Air, then underclock an 8800M GTS, I reckon it'd be possible.

Apple are faced with a choice this time they haven't had before, there are no mid range cards that are a any real advantage over the current ones, there is only the mediocre 8600/8700 based chips, and the high end 3850/8800 end. The former might fit nicely in a MBP but it'd be a shockingly disappointing GPU for a three thousand dollar laptop. The latter would require a very small increase in thickness but would actually give the name MacBook PRO some justice.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

I know, I mean the portability of the MacBook Pro is useful to me, although it has a grossly underpowered CPU for a pro laptop. In the 17" model I don't see why we should be sacrificing potentially an 8800M GTS or an HD3850 for literally 0.25 inches of thickness. If I cared that much about it being thin I'd get an Air.

Right now, the only way to get much more CPU is to take a desktop CPU and jam it into a notebook. I've known wto people that get that kind of notebook, they run very hot and have a battery life that's about that of a UPS brick, not good enough to do much work away from a power jack. They both had to deal with fans that died too.

As for a 8800M, I understand what you mean, but Apple doesn't seem to go that way.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:

There are 8800M GTSs in 17" notebooks just a few fractions of an inch thicker than the MacBook Pro. I hate to break it to you but Apple's "1 inch rule" is pretty detrimental to the performance we receive, 1" is below a critical thickness that seems to render all but mid range graphics gear unusuable in the MacBook Pro, it'd only take a slight increase to allow for graphics cards 3x faster than the current.

If they thicken the MacBook Pro and taper the edges to make it appear thinner, a la the MacBook Air, then underclock an 8800M GTS, I reckon it'd be possible.

Apple are faced with a choice this time they haven't had before, there are no mid range cards that are a any real advantage over the current ones, there is only the mediocre 8600/8700 based chips, and the high end 3850/8800 end. The former might fit nicely in a MBP but it'd be a shockingly disappointing GPU for a three thousand dollar laptop. The latter would require a very small increase in thickness but would actually give the name MacBook PRO some justice.

Although the MBP is a professional laptop, it is still a laptop. Portability and batter life are concerns. If you want a full scale machine to render intensive graphic functions, go with a desktop.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    I don't think an HD3850 is too much to ask though, most major manufacturers have 17"ers out with cards of that level, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 2.5-3k laptop. We're just used to less so when we look at what everybody else considers normal, it looks like super high end unrealistic stuff to us.

The only thing keeping an HD3850 out of the MBP is a fraction of an inch in case thickness.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    trey851trey851 Posts: 2member
    Is their any chance that the new MBP's will have 3g data support?
  • Reply 87 of 95
    Quote:

Which they're not going to do, because Apple is a design company where aesthetics trump all else. And when Steve hears fan noise he gets angry.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Which they're not going to do, because Apple is a design company where aesthetics trump all else. And when Steve hears fan noise he gets angry.

Then my MacBook Pro would make him downright unpleasant.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    MBP's with Anodized Black Aluminum Case would do it for me!
  • Reply 90 of 95
    I found another mock up in the MacRumours forum.

I have to say, I quite like the look of this (Flickr).

• Reply 91 of 95
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I also think something like that would be tight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

I found another mock up in the MacRumours forum.

I have to say, I quite like the look of this (Flickr).

• Reply 92 of 95
    Sorry, but the Macbook Pro has to be more than just a glorified Macbook AIR with an iMac glossy screen.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    That looks really, really awesome.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Sorry, but the Macbook Pro has to be more than just a glorified Macbook AIR with an iMac glossy screen.

Of course its going to be more. If the new macbook pro looked like that plus had its specs updated you can bet people will be buying a lot of them!
  • Reply 95 of 95
    good information!